Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Inconsistent phone charging from USB

ConallCernach

Hi All,

I know the topic of charging an iPhone from a USB has come up before, but my problem is slightly different. Basically, the phone (iPhone 7) will sometimes charge from the in-car USB and sometimes not.

Here's how it goes. If I connect the phone when the car is already started, it will never charge. However, if I connect before turning the ignition, the phone will usually detect the current for a moment, and then go back to not charging. But if I keep turning on and off the engine, it will usually eventually detect the current and stay charging.

I could accept the phone never charging or the phone always charging, but this is inconsistent behaviour is very annoying. Note also that it's not a phone permissions issue; I've been through that a few times (though I acknowledge it may still be a phone issue). 

Anyone have any insights on this? I do a lot of driving, so a charged phone for navigating and music is important to me. 

Thanks!

I would say the 1st port of call would be try changing the data/charging lead.

I have an iPhone and had this problem with charging even at home using the wall brick.

Look at the contacts on the lead, you will probably find one is black or scratched.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ConallCernach said:

Hi All,

I know the topic of charging an iPhone from a USB has come up before, but my problem is slightly different. Basically, the phone (iPhone 7) will sometimes charge from the in-car USB and sometimes not.

Here's how it goes. If I connect the phone when the car is already started, it will never charge. However, if I connect before turning the ignition, the phone will usually detect the current for a moment, and then go back to not charging. But if I keep turning on and off the engine, it will usually eventually detect the current and stay charging.

I could accept the phone never charging or the phone always charging, but this is inconsistent behaviour is very annoying. Note also that it's not a phone permissions issue; I've been through that a few times (though I acknowledge it may still be a phone issue). 

Anyone have any insights on this? I do a lot of driving, so a charged phone for navigating and music is important to me. 

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Sooty said:

I would say the 1st port of call would be try changing the data/charging lead.

I have an Iphone and had this problem with charging even at home using the wall brick.

Look at the contacts on the lead, you will probably find one is black or scratched.

Agreed,  90% of charging issues are lead related.  😎

• Like 1