Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low idle

Ryanb2002

Hi I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris 1.3 and it have a bad idle it’s Seems to idle at 7rmp and it abit lumpy I’ve changed a vacuum hose because it was split and I clean the throttlebody and it got better but now it gone back low and suggestions??  

many thanks Ryan 

No codes just idling at 700 rpm but when it’s cold its spot on the 1000 rmp 

Is this on the first start of the day ie cold start or is it when the car is warm?

Approx. 700 rpm sounds fine on a warmed up engine, 1000 rpm would be very high but not on a cold start.

• Like 1

So yeah when is cold start it 1000rmp then when warmed up it about 700 and some times it’s 600 

I have no idea tbh mate but I mean before I change the split hose cleaned the throttlebody it was very spluttery but now it just Idle at 700 thank for you help 😊

Only other problem it there is a squeaking noise some time but from the belt when rpm is over 2000

That's normal, for the belt just check the condition if it's still good re-tighten it.

Disconnect the Battery for 15-20 mins and let the ecu reset it will take some time for it to relearn, drive it as normal

its worth taking the plugs out, check the gaps and clean them up if needed

I have a 2006 with the 1.3 engine. They do idle a bit rough when the engine is warm, and 550 - 700 RPM when warm is what mine does as well. They start from cold at just over 1000rpm as most cars need higher rpm when cold due to the engine getting more fuel as on "choke". The drivebelt on my car squeeks when cold, its always done it, and even when a new belt was fitted it soon started chirping and squeeking again. I think its a common issue due to slight pulley misalignment, which causes the back side of the belt to slightly slip on the middle idler pulley when cold or damp. As long as it doesnt keep squeeking after the engine has warmed up, then its not that serious. One area to watch out for though is the water pump, as these can fail, leaking water out onto the belt, so if the car is higher mileage (over 60K) and you dont know if its had the water pump replaced, then its advisable to check the coolant level every week. the water pump is the pulley just in front of the alternator pulley, and is driven by the same belt, it is not driven by the timing chain.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links