Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

pre collision system

Hubsy

Rav4 excel 2020.

4 weeks ago I changed from a 2019 Corolla to a Rav4 awd.

Has anyone had problems with the PCS?

If it's working then it must engage very late.

How can I prove that it's working correctly.

You need to do something pretty stupid to get it to come on, my advice is don't!, if you really must try it then drive up the wrong side of the road heading towards traffic and it will soon activate!!!! 

Don't do that either, I have had PCS on many different cars and I can't recall ever activating it properly , I have had the occasional warning on one car but not on either of our Ravs yet. 

I asked this question looking for serious replies.

A teenager on a bike, rode straight across in front of me and the car didn't brake.

With the cyclist, presumably they were travelling across your path and may have been going too quickly for the PCS to activate.

The only way to prove it is working is to get yourself in a situation where it either works or you hit something.

Once or twice this system has been briefly triggered by a parked car in unusual traffic situations but never in a true avoidance. It operates in a limited speed range and is very dependent on sensors which may be affected by rain or debris. Such safety aids can be counter productive if they result in the driver being less attentive or following other vehicles too closely, so I try to maintain the same caution as normal and assume that they only have a 50/50 chance of working in the real world. There are similar issues with the radar cruise control which has sometimes failed to slow down until the very last seconds if a vehicle is stopping in front, resulting in a near emergency stop. Once you realise that the programming is flawed it is better for your nerves to gently start early braking and let the cruise control deactivate. 

13 hours ago, Hubsy said:

Rav4 excel 2020.

4 weeks ago I changed from a 2019 Corolla to a Rav4 awd.

Has anyone had problems with the PCS?

If it's working then it must engage very late.

How can I prove that it's working correctly.

Hi Hubsy, i put ours on the other Sunday when my wife let me drive and yes it comes on to late for my liking, i had three bars up on the dash and going very slow in traffic with my foot covering the brake pedal it stopped very abruptly and close to the car in front. cheers 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the replies.

It doesn't seem as reactive as the Corolla was.

I have found that the sensitivity can be adjusted on the driving screen, changed it from 2 to 3 bars, not the following distance, the pcs distance.

• 4 weeks later...

you could test it, seems odd but go to b and q  buy a odd roll of wall paper, get too mates to unroll it across a quiet road on an indutrial estate on a sunday, and driver towards its....   tats what I did!!

4 hours ago, chris ha said:

you could test it, seems odd but go to b and q  buy a odd roll of wall paper, get too mates to unroll it across a quiet road on an indutrial estate on a sunday, and driver towards its....   tats what I did!!

Nice idea, I did think of asking the salesman to stand infront as I accelerated .....

My driveway if a tight fit. With my 2019 Corrola it used to stop itself when I was backing up and got too close to the rubbish bin. Rav4 doesn't do that, it just nudges the bin out of the way.

29 minutes ago, Hubsy said:

Nice idea, I did think of asking the salesman to stand in front as I accelerated .....

My driveway if a tight fit. With my 2019 Corolla it used to stop itself when I was backing up and got too close to the rubbish bin. Rav4 doesn't do that, it just nudges the bin out of the way.

have you checked if your PKSB (Parking support brake ) is switched on? 

Use your steering wheel controls to scroll side ways to the settings Cog then scroll up/down and ensure PKSB is switched on. 

• Like 1

It seems to be quite intelligent in its judgement of the situation, one day I was following minicab at a reasonable distance, came up to a traffic light on Green but it went Amber literally as he crossed the line, for some insane reason he literally stood on the brakes. My Rav did its thing and stopped dead by itself before I even had a chance to lift off the accelerator pedal, pretty sure I would have had time to react and stop safely but didn't even get the chance, it was over in a blink. The cars radar had evaluated the taxi's emergency rate of deceleration and didn't like it so stopped me.

The point being you often have a vehicle come to stop in front of you and the car ignores it leaving you to just brake and stop as close as you like, but in this case it had calculated it was an 'emergency stop' so likely to be an unexpected situation and to help out.

I saw lads one night in park car park driving an Audi toward the back of another car and slamming the brakes on like they were trying to test the autonomous system without success, I think they are smart enough now to monitor the controls and decide if you want to hit something its your choice! the system only looking out for the unexpected events.

13 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Use your steering wheel controls to scroll side ways to the settings Cog then scroll up/down and ensure PKSB is switched on. 

Checked the options, the PKSB is not one of them.

Hi i had much the same experience. I changed the sensitivity and then since then I've had one to alerts, one when overtaking a parked car without signalling and when when an idiot cyclist decide that he would come striaght at me.

So it does work, but takes a lot to activate even on the highest setting

Toyota say that the parking assist kicks in with the rear cross traffic alert setting. It doesn't work on my wheely-bin.

Also, from another post, the turn indicator sound level cannot be adjusted.

Too much to expect for my £40K.

2 hours ago, Hubsy said:

Toyota say that the parking assist kicks in with the rear cross traffic alert setting. It doesn't work on my wheely-bin.

Also, from another post, the turn indicator sound level cannot be adjusted.

Too much to expect for my £40K.

Which Toyota, your dealer or Actually the brand?

page 427 of manual attached describes the PKSB function and how it works, can be switched on/off. It is not part of the RCTA system

Indicator sounder volume can be adjusted but only by dealer:

image.thumb.png.01222980ad21383488042dadc1cfebcf.png

OM42C76E.pdf

49 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Which Toyota, your dealer or Actually the brand?

page 427 of manual attached describes the PKSB function and how it works, can be switched on/off. It is not part of the RCTA system

Indicator sounder volume can be adjusted but only by dealer:

image.thumb.png.01222980ad21383488042dadc1cfebcf.png

OM42C76E.pdf 208.43 MB · 3 downloads

Contacted Toyota from Toyota web site.

Saw the PKSB in the manual, but it doesn't appear to be part of the cars package, 2020Rav4 excel AWD.

Tried local dealership, Norwich, but very little luck with the indicators sound level. 

• 7 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 6:59 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Thank you, you have just saved me a trip to the garage.  Now why didn't THEY think of that?

Mine has occasionally bleeped and put up the red "BRAKE" warning on the dash when approaching a parked car and pulling out late to time it with oncoming traffic, but not actually activated.  My previous Prius did the same a few times.  Bear in mind that the system makes many calculations per second and 'thinks' much faster than even the sharpest of drivers.

My Prius had active braking for the front and rear sensors and Rear Cross Traffic Alert, which oddly (and disappointingly) is missing from the RAV4 spec, unless you get the new "Black" edition which has both.  It did fire occasionally on the Prius when deliberately reversing into long grass at the edge of a car park.

You might find the NCAP videos a bit reassuring...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links