Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.5 petrol or hybrid? Which would you recommend?

dave hendy

We have the opportunity to buy either a June 20 Y20 Yaris 1.5 petrol with 50 miles or a Y20 Hybrid with 500 miles on it. The petrol is £13k and the hybrid £16k. We are going from 2 cars to 1 and do between 4000 & 6000 miles a year. We aren’t too bothered about acceleration but do like to drive at or just above the speed limit. Going by previous experience we will probably keep the car about 5 years, so taking overall costs etc into account which would you say would be better for us?

Looking forward to your comments and experience of these models [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£16k seems a bit steep as the new model is out unless it's a pre-reg, main stealer i take it ? Is the non-hybrid Auto ?

I'd go for the petrol, but then again I'm 'old school'. Daughter's got a hybrid and I'm seriously impressed with the economy. but the numbers don't justify one for me. You need to do the calculations for you.

Definitely +1 for the hybrid especially if you are about an automatic car. More expensive but will hold its value better, easier to sell if needed and the way it drives is priceless, this is actually what makes Toyota hybrids so popular and then the reliability. Saving from fuel consumption might not be significant as your annual mileage is low but still if you can manage a free road tax and mot is still something. 👍🚗

5 hours ago, flash22 said:
£16k seems a bit steep as the new model is out unless it's a pre-reg, main stealer i take it ? Is the non-hybrid Auto ?

Yes it’s a main dealer, I don’t think there’s much to come off the price either?

The 1.5 petrol is the 6 speed manual.

Definitely +1 for the hybrid especially if you are about an automatic car. More expensive but will hold its value better, easier to sell if needed and the way it drives is priceless, this is actually what makes Toyota hybrids so popular and then the reliability. Saving from fuel consumption might not be significant as your annual mileage is low but still if you can manage a free road tax and mot is still something. [emoji106][emoji594]

I think my main worry on the 1.5 petrol model is it’s resale value and if anyone will want it in another 5 years? Otherwise it’s the cheaper option especially as we won’t save much on fuel.

There’s always the other option of biting the bullet and buying the new Yaris, although it is very expensive [emoji848]

Well If you can get the brand new one at around 20k it is more expensive but you can also keep it for 10 years and then it pays off easily and definitely will last that long, it’s a Toyota. Just keep thinking and maybe give it a test drive on both previous and latest gen hybrids and see how do you like them. 
Good luck 👍

• Like 2

We have had a test drive in a new Yaris and was very impressed, never driven or been in the older Hybrid [emoji848]

The new Yaris hybrid will be better than previous one. It has 114 bhp, the 99bhp which I have is lacking in especially country roads and noisy when fast acceleration is required. Although the new hybrid is expensive for a small car, but it has many extra equipments over the older one. 

The hybrid will probably be easier to sell on later. It depends if u prefer manual or auto. 

• Like 1

The new Yaris hybrid will be better than previous one. It has 114 bhp, the 99bhp which I have is lacking in especially country roads and noisy when fast acceleration is required. Although the new hybrid is expensive for a small car, but it has many extra equipments over the older one. 
The hybrid will probably be easier to sell on later. It depends if u prefer manual or auto. 

Although I have never had an automatic, I don’t think it bothers me one way or the other, as I don’t drive as I did when I was younger and although I want to get where I am going as quickly as possible, I prefer to do it in a more relaxed manner [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, dave hendy said:

Although I have never had an automatic, I don’t think it bothers me one way or the other, as I don’t drive as I did when I was younger and although I want to get where I am going as quickly as possible, I prefer to do it in a more relaxed manner emoji6.png

Once one drives a Hybrid Auto one will never want to drive a manual again.

No clutch, no gears, no starter motor and no Alternator. What can possibly go wrong ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once one drives a Hybrid Auto one will never want to drive a manual again.
No clutch, no gears, no starter motor and no Alternator. What can possibly go wrong ?

Being a Toyota, that’s not even something I consider [emoji6]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dave hendy said:

I think my main worry on the 1.5 petrol model is it’s resale value and if anyone will want it in another 5 years? Otherwise it’s the cheaper option especially as we won’t save much on fuel.

There’s always the other option of biting the bullet and buying the new Yaris, although it is very expensive emoji848.png

I have recently bought a 17 plate Yaris Icon 1.33 and I cannot see myself getting rid of it 😀, then again I do look after all my possessions, but I would expect you'd have no problem getting rid of it.?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

...the way it drives is priceless, this is actually what makes Toyota hybrids so popular and then the reliability...

Couldn't agree more.

I bought my first Hybrid in April 2002, a Gen 1 Prius.  I only had it 6 months/12,000 miles, as it got totalled in a collision.

I had done just ½ mile from my dealer at the time, and while sitting in the car waiting for a crane to lift it off the island it landed on I rang my salesman to order a replacement, as I was so converted by the super-smooth gear-less drive that I wanted one even if it hadn't been so economical.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dave hendy said:

Although I have never had an automatic, I don’t think it bothers me one way or the other, as I don’t drive as I did when I was younger and although I want to get where I am going as quickly as possible, I prefer to do it in a more relaxed manner emoji6.png

An auto will be so much better to relax. 

If u are thinking about biting the bullet and spend 20k on a new Yaris then I probably say it's better to get a 1 year old corolla 2.0 hybrid with 180bhp. That's what I would do unless a small car is a must for your requirement. 

The other option of not spending so much is to get an older hybrid in a Yaris/auris/Lexus ct200 in top trim. 

• Like 2

We are off to the dealer in just over an hour, I will let you know what we decide [emoji848]

Thanks for the suggestions [emoji106]

• Like 1

Probably too late to get you before your dealer visit - I have seen some new model Yaris with £2000 off across trim levels, via a broker.  So starting at £18300, I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably too late to get you before your dealer visit - I have seen some new model Yaris with £2000 off across trim levels, via a broker.  So starting at £18300, I think.

Thanks for the information

I would go for a Corolla hybrid if thinking relatively new. I'd buy a 19 plate.

Something in Icon Tech or Design spec. I would probably go for the 1.8. I would have the estate. In Denim Blue or Scarlet Flare!

James.

• Like 1

The hybrid since it should be cheaper to maintain, brakes last longer for a start, unless the driver likes to brake late and heavy.

We spent the morning at the garage and got to drive a 1.5 MT, a 20 plate hybrid and a new Yaris Design. First off, the new car is lovely and by far the nicest to drive even in the terrible weather we had. Luckily we drove the older cars first so it was easier to give them a fair go.

The 1.5 MT was okay but my wife struggled with the 6 speed gearbox which put her off a bit, we thought that the car was a bit slow for a 1.5 but it had only done 30 miles from new. They had the option of white or bright red which looked good.

The 20 plate hybrid had dual zone AC but otherwise was the same spec as the 1.5. We found it quite noisy on hard acceleration compared to the new Yaris and didn’t have much go without hard acceleration. It was fine at normal driving and we could live with it. My wife didn’t like the older design gear lever and centre console area. Neither of us particularly like the colour, a darker red than the manual model, it wouldn’t be a colour we would pick and we don’t know if we can live with it?

The new Yaris drives better in every way and is a match for a German model.

Which is the right car for us, I am not sure [emoji848]

The 1.5 will cost us £4K, the 20 plate £6.5k and the new Yaris £12k, plus the wait time for the new car might be 3-6 months [emoji15]

Hopefully we can reach a dissuasion by Monday

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

...brakes last longer for a start, unless the driver likes to brake late and heavy.

or uses the car infrequently, in which case cycles of discs rusting and heavy wear on both discs and pads when next driven can eat them alarmingly quickly - as I found out in a Prius when I had a company car for a year and my own car was only used once every week or two.  Discs and pads at both ends showed minimal wear at 70k, but then needed replacing in the next 10k.  The second set were still barely worn at 163k as the car was in daily use for the rest of the 9 years I had it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave hendy said:

The 1.5 will cost us £4K, the 20 plate £6.5k and the new Yaris £12k, plus the wait time for the new car might be 3-6 months emoji15.png

Hopefully we can reach a dissuasion by Monday

Red doesn't suit the Yaris hybrid. 

I guess the question is are you able to afford the difference between the older Yaris to the brand new one. If comfortably then get new one, If not then maybe look at other garage for a better colour of the older one. 

I have not test driven the new yaris, but it sounds like it's better in everyway than my current one.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:13 PM, dave hendy said:

I bought one fo the latest Y20 hybrid yaris made first days in july 2020. £14450 mettallic color. I think 16k is too much but car is great. I would never splash 20k for new yaris. 

IMG_20200911_123954.jpg

The 20 plate hybrid was registered 12th June and has 1750 miles on it as of our test drive. It has dual zone climate control and keyless start. They want £15900.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links