Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.5 petrol or hybrid? Which would you recommend?

dave hendy

16 minutes ago, dcweather said:

You won't get another hybrid for less than 20k

The Suzuki Swift and Ignis hybrids are both well under £20K.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

But they are manuals., I just look at them those are not proper hybrids, only the two models that are rebadged Toyota. Most of the car makers now offer hybrids (mild hybrids) as many calls them but those are just petrol automatic with gears and extra complex hybrid system that actually does almost nothing, those are very different from what we all know as hybrid technology and we use every day, and this is exactly what makes Toyota hybrids the best and most popular. If I have to buy hybrid I will only buy a Toyota and if I have to buy Toyota I will only buy a hybrid., well with some rare exceptions for tha last - like Yaris GR, Supra or Land Cruiser. 

• Like 2

Whether they are manuals or automatics, they are still less than £20K, are sold as hybrids, and the fact they are mild hybrids won't bother purchasers.

• Like 1

Would absolutely bother me with a mild hybrid, gets 50mpg compared to Yaris 60mpg+. Watched a review of the Swift mild hybrid on YouTube and it only gets 3-4 mpg more than its own standard petrol version, what is the point.

• Like 1

Fuel economy isn't such a priority for everyone. We've had 21 new cars, and fuel economy hasn't been a major factor in any of our purchases. 

The point I was making was that there are hybrids available for under £20K, contrary to what was previously posted, and it is irrelevant whether those are better than the Yaris, give less fuel economy, or whatever.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 1:34 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

16 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

But they are manuals.

Just to be pedantic, the newest Suzuki Swift hybrid now appears to be available as an automatic. I was looking at new Swifts on Auto Trader the other day and noticed they now do an auto hybrid.

No one savvy would remotely consider buying a mild hybrid, they are nonsense. If fuel economy isn't the major factor why buy a hybrid? Just get a 3.0 V6 turbo. 

• Thanks 1

Guys seriously, 

do you really want to compare Toyota hybrids with other makers Mild-hybrids, that’s a complete nonsense. The second are not a proper hybrids, these are conventional cars manual or automatics with gears and small 48v e motor mounted between, which actually been used as a starter motor. The similarities between those two systems is only in the names, both called a hybrid. If you buying a car just because of the Badge or the name on paper then yes doesn’t really matter what car it is and what make hybrid, why even bother getting a hybrid? The point of hybrids is not just efficiency, but that can only be accepted from people who have hybrids for sometimes and did understood how that system works. Very few people did not like Toyota/Lexus hybrids and moved away from them and these are mostly people who expected a sport car experience from something that is made for efficiency and relaxed driving instead. All these crap mild hybrids are going nowhere, they are useless same as stop start technology that was made by the same companies. Toyota hybrids can give a feeling of driving an ev for a short time but the mild hybrids can not. I am not arguing with anyone, but the true needs to be known as there are many people that has no clue about cars and will end up badly surprised after purchase an mild hybrid. 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

they are useless same as stop start technology that was made by the same companies.

Which includes Toyota - stop/start was fitted to the Auris and the second generation Yaris.

The point originally raised was to illustrate that there are hybrids available under £20K, contrary to a  previous post - Suzuki was just an example. 

The definition of a hybrid is a vehicle which uses more than one means of propulsion. Doesn't matter whether a car is manual or automatic, diesel or petrol, full or mild hybrid. 

Back to the topic subject - 'Petrol or hybrid? Which would you recommend? ".

• Like 1

Toyota stop start is no different from the rest, but their hybrids are and this is the real deal, but no arguments Back to the topic.,

If you drive the car only occasionally and you are enjoying driving a manual car go for a petrol,

If you drive the car every day or more often even not covering many miles per year buying and using a hybrid makes more sense, simply because there is no better automatic cars then the Toyota hybrids. Hope Will help anyone that has the same  dilemma as the OP.  👍

• Like 1

In addition to above, don't confuse others with mild hybrid as the Swift isn't better than the standard petrol and cost a lot more. Not in the same category with 'proper hybrid' no matter how much people want to spin it.

Previously I stated I'm fairly content with the Yaris as it ticked most boxes for me. But don't like rapid acceleration noise from the weak engine and narrow tyres which came with the lower trims. Think the new yaris is much better now with more power so less noisy with rapid acceleration. For 20k nah....will get a used EV Zoe ze50 for that money. 

So back to topic.......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, snowBALLs said:

In addition to above, don't confuse others with mild hybrid as the Swift isn't better than the standard petrol and cost a lot more.

The latest Swift is now only available as a mild hybrid so comparison with the petrol in terms of consumption and cost doesn't apply.

The latest automatic VAG cars are only available as DSG eTSI which is their mild hybrids. , and again these are not hybrids but only trade names, you can’t move the car on e power alone when in traffic, or when doing a parking manoeuvre, you can’t propel the car on electric mode only unless in ideal conditions for a very short time, (pulse) and the car exclusively uses the ice to propel the car and the electric part comes as additional system that can help eventually move  the car while not under any load., just extends the free roll by the inertia., same as you are driving on power from your starter motor, nothing more. The car can be  driven without hybrid system been used. 

where Toyota hybrids previously called HSD (hybrid synergy drive) uses both power sources to propel the car most of the times and if one or the other power source fails the car won’t move., or not for long. There is an extra full ev mode that can be used in ideal conditions for a mile up to 30mph. , this gives you an electric car experience., actually the electric motor is as powerful as full ev, where the mild hybrids electric motor is as powerful as electric scooter. 😊 48v vs 600v. 
Maybe we should discuss all that in a new post specifically for this as many people might not be aware. The difference between Toyota hybrids and the others. Mild hybrids can not be compared to Toyota hybrids IMO because of that reasons and therefore I believe that even you can find a Suzuki hybrid for less than £20k it won’t deliver the same experience as the Yaris hybrid. Currently there is only Toyota and Lexus that offer real hybrid experience. 

• Like 2

The definition of a hybrid doesn't require a hybrid to be moved solely on either form of propulsion, but that it uses two forms of propulsion to go. For example Calmac's hybrid ferries are powered by small diesel generator sets, feeding power to a 400 volt switchboard, which, supplies power to electric propulsion motors that turn the propulsion units.

I have been told the new Honda Jazz is also self charging, is this correct?

1 hour ago, Bos said:

I have been told the new Honda Jazz is also self charging, is this correct?

There are two main types of hybrid cars, plug-in that you need to charge them and they get you longer range in ev mode and the rest of the hybrids are all self charging , which btw means you don’t need to worry of plugging in at home , office or on the go, just fill in petrol and drive as regular car. Jazz looks good hybrid, similar to Yaris. 

.... and starts at £18,995 - under £20K

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota stop start is no different from the rest, but their hybrids are and this is the real deal, but no arguments Back to the topic.,

If you drive the car only occasionally and you are enjoying driving a manual car go for a petrol,

If you drive the car every day or more often even not covering many miles per year buying and using a hybrid makes more sense, simply because there is no better automatic cars then the Toyota hybrids. Hope Will help anyone that has the same  dilemma as the OP.  👍

So if your after a Manual Toyota with a petrol engine only your choice is very limited and that is the reason i changed to another manufacturer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a great review from UK about Yaris Hybrid, explains well how and why is different from other hybrids and the price difference, it might be interesting for anyone looking for a new small hatch. 

• Like 2

The new Yaris gets pretty much universal praise from journalists and reviewers. I really want one due to the exceptional fuel economy and comfortable drive, but due to the price will have to wait for a few more used examples to come on to the market!

10 minutes ago, Vinylseats said:

The new Yaris gets pretty much universal praise from journalists and reviewers. I really want one due to the exceptional fuel economy and comfortable drive, but due to the price will have to wait for a few more used examples to come on to the market!

After a year they will be some used ex rentals and fleet for a good savings, before that you can look for ex demos they will have a few k of the price too. Toyota hybrids are the only sensible purchase of brand new car at the moment and holds their prices plus keep high reselling  value. If you look at car brokers website there are non deals on Toyota hybrids. All deals are on other brands mostly German old crappy tech vehicles. buying a car for its screen only and “best infotainment” just get an iPad 😂👍

• Like 2

I had a loan of a 2020 Yaris 1.5 manual petrol. Older style. Around 12k. Had 1,020 miles.

I liked the car, but not manual or the engine noise. Seemed a bit gutless/needed to be revved. Gearchange a bit notchy/ imprecise, or me as driven automatics for the last 13 years. Liked the interior and comfy. Even rear room was ok. Basic Icon Spec.

You really cant beat the Auto Hybrid. Yaris Hybrid would be a great car. Not sure why they never offered the 1.8 hybrid engine? If the 1.5 petrol is similar to Hybrid found it a bit gutless.

James.