Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Witnessed a cat theft

flash22

Witnessed a cat theft on an Auris Hybrid (64 plate) today it happened so quick broad daylight in a Sainsbury's car park in Crayford (went for a drive)

luckily I got a pic of the scumbag's car Silver Toyota Corolla Verso 1.8      Reg - RC54 *UY

They also did 2 Hondas one being a Jazz

Poor lady didn't know what to do, but she called her OH

security and police informed but doubt they will do anything

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Well done for getting the registration number.

Do you remember if the Auris was parked up close to other cars, so as to make this more difficult?

Could you see how many people were involved in the theft? 

I expect, if it was visible at all to you, that they were using professional looking trolley jack and tools.

Dewalt repo saw, 2 of them - it didn't quite click at first as i was thinking of other things, it was in a disabled bay 🤬

Reg blurred.

283973175_Crayfordcat1.thumb.jpg.990ac3c505142b5b472e642a749bf7b9.jpg

• Like 1

This is my borough and area. I was not far away going to the local recycling centre. There are a lot of private owners who are not aware off cat theft until they are victims. I have a feeling these thieves are not from the area, and are roaming around the M25. The Dartford crossing is very near, so they would use that.
Well done getting photos. The police will need that to help catch these thieves. Hope the lady gets her car repaired quickly. 

• Like 2

Presume the reg. no was KC54RUY.

I'd have put my wheel brace through his windscreen and side windows

• Like 1

They targeted a disabled person car. No further comments are needed,...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

This is my borough and area. I was not far away going to the local recycling centre. There are a lot of private owners who are not aware off cat theft until they are victims. I have a feeling these thieves are not from the area, and are roaming around the M25. The Dartford crossing is very near, so they would use that.
Well done getting photos. The police will need that to help catch these thieves. Hope the lady gets her car repaired quickly. 

Hopefully the ANPR will pick the reg up, the main routes are covered, the car park has cameras on the entrance an exit, passed the pic's on to a contact i have, so they get seen by the right people asap

• Like 3

Hope they get caught. At least we have a photo.

Probably on cloned or false plates or pool car.

Hope the lady gets her car fixed soon.

It does make you want to confront them, with something but you would get yourself arrested.

James.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presume the reg. no was KC54RUY.

If this indeed is the reg number then it's cloned. This reg belongs to a RAV4 

Sorry RC54 RUY

Correct reg - RC54RUV - its been one of those days, had a dozy bint pull out on me, some merc 4x4 thing

Registered in Reading/middlesex

25 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Correct reg - RC54RUV - its been one of those days, had a dozy bint pull out on me, some merc 4x4 thing

Registered in Reading/middlesex

Bob, do you use a dash cam. I am using a Nextbase 222x which has front and rear cams. I have submitted videos to UK Dashcam site, when something of interest happens. I always carry a compact camera with long zoom, but looking to get a new phone with reasonable zoom. That way I can get photos and videos from distance. Some of these crooks can be nasty.

Blackvue 750, i need to pull the micro sd in the morning to see if i have anything

pic is cropped and zoomed in photoshop from my Samsung J3, shot about 100-150 foot away with no zoom

• Like 1

Watching the picture and thinking if the Auris was debadged they may well just had drove past and not stopping to check if hybrid or not and then look straight for another easy target. All owners should seriously consider de Badge as first call against those bad people. 

But the Auris is so underpowered (especially hybrid, with an even smaller ICE engine) why would they target the catalytic converters on these small cars? I thought the main target was Lexus and ovre

On 10/30/2020 at 6:09 PM, TonyHSD said:

Watching the picture and thinking if the Auris was debadged they may well just had drove past and not stopping to check if hybrid or not and then look straight for another easy target. All owners should seriously consider de badge as first call against those bad people. 

powered things.

9 minutes ago, Douglasheld said:

But the Auris is so underpowered (especially hybrid, with an even smaller ICE engine) why would they target the catalytic converters on these small cars?

Nothing to do with the size of the engine or power of the vehicle. The thieves want the cats to sell on for the precious metals.

Although scrap metal dealers in the UK are required to be registered with the Local Authority, are required to keep purchase records and these records are subject to inspections, due to budget cuts, etc, many aren't inspected. Unscrupulous dealers will accept scrap metals from anyone and won't be too fussy where the scrap came from. Additionally some gangs illegally export the stolen cats. 

Certain models from Toyota, Honda, Audi, SUV's, Mercedes Sprinters, and vehicles with high ground clearance, etc, etc are all possible targets.

• Like 1

Feel so sorry for the victims. Well done for getting some photos in. 

This is the reason I did not change to the auris hybrid/Lexus ct200h from my Yaris hybrid this year. 

On 10/30/2020 at 3:10 PM, Konrad C said:

I was not far away going to the local recycling centre.

Konrad you could have teamed up with Bob and boxed those scums in....🥺

• Like 1

16 hours ago, roks said:

We can team up a couple of guys from here and make a trap in a car park somewhere then catch some of those thieves but when police arrive will let them go easily and we may well get into a trouble instead, better not to involve imo. I am really worried myself if I see them under my car how will react at that time, hopefully never happens. 

• Like 1

Picture(s) are now filed and linked with the incident reports, a few days before this happened up to 8 cars have been attacked plus the 4 on Friday

As Konrad states, they are travelling into the area using the major roads

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

when police arrive will let them go easily and we may well get into a trouble instead

I bet, yeah its sad, justice is hard to come by, criminals get away with murder.

19 hours ago, roks said:

Some of these crooks don't care and cause a lot of damage to escape. Some can become can become violent. Bob did the right thing getting photos/videos. I would only get involved if the owner called for help! Roks, hopefully as Tony mentioned, your car being the standard non-hybrid, won't be targeted.   

8 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Some of these crooks don't care and cause a lot of damage to escape. Some can become can become violent. Bob did the right thing getting photos/videos. I would only get involved if the owner called for help! Roks, hopefully as Tony mentioned, your car being the standard non-hybrid, won't be targeted.   

Always willing to learn.

Why is the non-hybrid less interest to them?

Cheers, LMM 😊