Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Witnessed a cat theft

flash22

2 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Why is the non-hybrid less interest to them?

Less precious metals?

2 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Always willing to learn.

Cheers, LMM 😊

I think its something to do with the metals in the CAT being cleaner due to be being a hybrid, therefore worth more.

it's only up to certain years the cats on hybrids dont degrade as fast as a standard car - The cats contain a higher percentage of metals

after 2017 the cat's have less in them they target other cars what have easy access to the cat's

As above its not worth a beating, they are potentially armed with all sorts

17 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Always willing to learn.

Cheers, LMM 😊

Hybrid catalytic converters are not contaminated through use as much, compared to conventional engine catalytic combos. That means the precious metals are more pure, so worth more. Doesn't mean the thieves will not go for a non-hybrid! 

Thieves get paid double for Toyota hybrids catalytic converters plus they are ultra easy to be removed from the car if a security plate is not fitted, usually all target vehicles are the one that job can be done fastest, they don’t mind car alarms, or been seen or filmed by people around as long as they can do it quickly and go. They get well paid believe me. 

On 11/2/2020 at 3:47 PM, Lawnmowerman said:

Always willing to learn.

Cheers, LMM 😊

Non hybrid is less of a target because the engine predominantly runs all the time so the cat’s precious  metals get worn out more quickly. Although they will steal them if they can get them off quick enough especially on 4x4.

As others have said, it'll have seen more use. I mistakenly thought it was because it might contain lower quantities of precious metals, but then I saw that the same model cat fits both hybrid and non-hybrid variants.

• 2 weeks later...

Debadged mine over the weekend.  Piece of cake apart from the boot emblem due to the amount of adhesive pad under it.

I don't hold out much with this debadging malarky,  these dullards are looking at the model, not whats on the Badge. Take a look at any cat theft video, they get under the car first to see what they are dealing with, then get the jack and tools out to nick it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

I don't hold out much with this debadging malarky,  these dullards are looking at the model, not whats on the badge. Take a look at any cat theft video, they get under the car first to see what they are dealing with, then get the jack and tools out to nick it

Those are my thoughts, too.

I think otherwise, if you debadge a Prius they may well drive past it , those are not the smartest in the world. 👍 Worth doing it for sure, plus the car looks cleaner and slicker IMO. 😊

They are a lot smarter than the people who come on here saying that their cat has been nicked more than once. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Steve Whits said:

Debadged mine over the weekend.  Piece of cake apart from the boot emblem due to the amount of adhesive pad under it.

Any tips that you could share?  Did you need to use solvent, or just a hair dryer and dental floss?  I'm thinking of removing the badges on my car, partly for the security of the catalytic converter, and partly to de-bling it!

Well as in life, you have got to allow for lowest common denominator

1 hour ago, The Aardvark said:

Any tips that you could share?  Did you need to use solvent, or just a hair dryer and dental floss?  I'm thinking of removing the badges on my car, partly for the security of the catalytic converter, and partly to de-bling it!

Hi, yes you will need a hairdryer to warm the glue up and then you can use an old credit card or dental floss whichever is easier to you. After removing them you will need to clean some residue with window cleaner or tar and glue remover, something that’s not bad for the paint work. Your cars are after 2015 may have sensors built into the front emblem therefore better leave it as is. People are saying that the de badging is not important but trust me it is ultra important and most useful against the thieves along with cat plate under the car. The !Removed! drove around looking for Toyota hybrids, if they don’t see a Badge they won’t be attracted which is the most important, if they stop at your car to check and see there are security devices fitted and if they had a bad day and been upset very likely to just hit your window and go, this is what happens on few occasions with Uber drivers in London. They could not get the cat , they damaged the car , either way is bad for us as owners and the best thing to do is to mask our cars so they are not recognised as hybrids at first look and pray the plaque will just drive past them.  I had few garages visit since debage the Auris and each time mechanics are left baffled what Toyota models is that, also we wanted to sell one of our Auris and some guys came to look at the car and they were also kind of but this is not a hybrid wtf, why are you saying it’s a hybrid, they were about to fight we us, was so funny. Keep the hybrid badges when time for sell comes as you may have same experience. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/24/2020 at 1:13 PM, The Aardvark said:

Yes the difference between the badges for the ones with sensors is that they are a totally smooth Badge with no raised silver Toyota emblem. The rear Badge has a lot more adhesive on than any of the others. You can use your thumb just to roll it and then tar remover and paint renovator followed by a wax. 

I've also kept the badges so that I can put them back on as and when I sell it

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links