Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car refuses to start!!!!

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Guys,

Currently awaiting my Toyota members breakdown guy to arrive.

Drove to my daughters school, no issues, dropped her off bless, got back into my car and it refuses to start up, the engine turns but won't fire up! A nightmare! And its so cold out here.

I recon it could be fuel related.

I'll try to attach my video

If you haven't already, try removing the key from the ignition, move it away from the steering wheel area (a metre should do), then put back in ignition and try.

when you turn key to on position do you hear the fuel pump?

also when was the last time you had spark plugs and fuel filter changed, if you get started do you know anyone that has a obd 2 scanner it might have thrown a code to tell you which it could be

Sent from my RCT6613W23PU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's a lifetime filter in the tank

sounds fuel related, when did you last fill up ?

the Mil light is on, could be anything inc cam/crank sensors

It's a lifetime filter in the tank
sounds fuel related, when did you last fill up ?
Ford use a lifetime transmission fluid (i used to take Fords to a transmission place to have rebuilds weekly) everything will start to fail nothing is life time

Well lifetime of the part its attached to
if I said to you I have a pattern to sell you a lifetime oil you put in once and it will stay in the engine for as long as the life of the engine would you use it?

If my old Aygo wouldn't start the problem could usually be solved by turning the key until the dashboard lights came on and waiting a few seconds before turning to start

Hi guys,

Ok, so we got towed home! First time ever in my life! 

The AA man was very helpful and very friendly.

He did a diagnostic test but found no codes. Infact he said it was talking to his device but didn't expect any codes since the engine light wasn't on.

He tested the 1st spark plug from the left. Confirmed no spark. Then he tested a little plug he pulled from the rear of the engine head sort of centre located. That was OK.

He then tested the crank sensor and apparently found a reading for it so ruled that out.

And concluded it had to be the cam sensor but there's no way of testing it. He also stated that timing may need some attention from the little he got to hear from it fired up...btw it did fire up a couple of times for say 2 seconds.

I'm thinking if I should bite the bullet and replace the crank and cam sensors and hope for the best?

My issue is my Battery is now dead! Great. 

What an experience.

Having to drive my other halfs t27 avensis now and I dont like big diesels!

• Like 1

You won't get far by throwing random parts at it, just because they said it might be it, then again, might be something else.

If you dont have access to Toyota Techstream, or dont know anyone with it, maybe pay for some mobile one, to come to you and check it out.

5 minutes ago, furtula said:

You won't get far by throwing random parts at it, just because they said it might be it, then again, might be something else.

If you dont have access to Toyota Techstream, or dont know anyone with it, maybe pay for some mobile one, to come to you and check it out.

Cheers, what does techstream do exactly? Apologies for my lack of knowledge guys

1 hour ago, furtula said:

Cheers, what does techstream do exactly? Apologies for my lack of knowledge guys

Does anyone know how to find the right part...I.e a crank and cam sensor...for my aygo?

Eurocarparts are quite dear compared to eBay if I type in aygo 2008.

Cheers

56 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Techstream is a diagnostic tool for Toyota's so it gives better information than the generic one that the AA man used.

• Like 1

As said above, Toyota's diagnostic tool. You just need a cable, which you can buy online for 15 or so GBP, and you install the software on your laptop, usually comes with the tool.

It should give you some errors, stored, or current ones.

You can buy the cable on eBay and such websites.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, furtula said:

As said above, Toyota's diagnostic tool. You just need a cable, which you can buy online for 15 or so GBP, and you install the software on your laptop, usually comes with the tool.

It should give you some errors, stored, or current ones.

You can buy the cable on ebay and such websites.

Whats the difference between that and a old code reader?

The apps you get on phone will show basic so a code of say p1382 on a Honda is cylinder position sensor, where as a dealer spec scanner will show you more info

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

One is a specialized tool offered and utilized by Toyota themselves, with full diagnostic, and codes.

Other is a cheap generic code reader which might not even pick up some codes.

• Like 2

Not all faults will store a code, silly question have you tried a spare key ??

12 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

did you fix it?

Hi, cheers for asking.

Since the breakdown she's been sitting outside, unloved. The kids and I are in tears inside as to how she just suddenly died gone Wednesday, not a peep of a warning, imagine driving to school, parking up, switching off the engine, dropping my daughter at the school gate, back in my car, turn the ignition...and nothing but a chugging. And to think the day before I picked up all my service parts and new headlamp bulbs, aswell as a new Bosch s4 Battery as the old Halfords one has just passed its 3yr warranty so to be on the safe side this winter. My Aygo was always serviced on time and never gave me any issues, other than getting 245 miles on a full tank from since I purchased her which apparently was low.

Anyway since the breakdown... So far I've purchased a new Bosch cam sensor, fitted that yesterday...no difference, and a new Bosch crank sensor which I planned to fit today but didn't as when I took the old one out I realised the new one was too short and will be returned next week.

I know I have fuel coming through, I can smell it, the engines turning, but there's no spark...thats my issue. I doubt its ecu or immobiliser related.

I have no idea. My other halfs already talking about scrapping her. She is so cute id hate to see her go. But I think she is finally dead...at 67k ! 

I'm lost for words in all honesty 😕 

• Like 1

I'd try a pull start with another car, if it's indeed a bad sensor, pull start might help get it started.

You need some diagnostics to see what is the issue with a car. If you have  two toyotas, i would buy a techstream cable, install the software on a laptop, and check the car out. It's neither expensive nor hard to do, but might help you immenselly.

Pull the valve cover and check the chain if that's ok, pull the spark plugs out and do a compression test it may have burnt a valve/or dropped a valve,

Does it sound like it used to or does it spin over too freely ?

i would not move it until you verifiy the chain is ok

edit. does every thing in the interior work ? can you actual talk to the ecu ? There is a common internal issue with the fuse box under the bonnet that kills the power to the ecu

dont panic too much its gutting when a car fails to start , unfortunatetly when a wire snaps or a sensor goes thats how it is

you need some proper dianosis on it rather than throwing new parts at it 

it will be good as gold when fixed

• Like 1