Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Space saver spare wheel

robo1

Just noticed on the Toyota UK website that the Excel and Dynamic grades now come with 19 inch wheels. It states that you get the puncture repair kit with 19 inch wheels. Looking at last years brochure 18 inch wheels are listed.

Can you fit a 19 inch space saver into the boot well ? Toyota tried to drop the spare with the mark 4 RAV but due to consumer pressure re introduced them. Is this the way to return to the puncture repair kit. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, robo1 said:

Just noticed on the Toyota UK website that the Excel and Dynamic grades now come with 19 inch wheels. It states that you get the puncture repair kit with 19 inch wheels. Looking at last years brochure 18 inch wheels are listed.

Can you fit a 19 inch space saver into the boot well ? Toyota tried to drop the spare with the mark 4 RAV but due to consumer pressure re introduced them. Is this the way to return to the puncture repair kit. 

Hello. Well I have a new Rav4 due in December so MY21 with 19 inch wheels.

I had already sorted out a full size 18 inch spare for it so was a bit taken aback to see that it had changed to 19 inch wheels out of the blue.Checked on the tyre checker website and put the 2 different sizes in and it is within 1.8% which is ok.

You may or may not know that if you get the Rav4 with 18 inch wheels it comes with a 17 inch space saver. Do the measurements and there is hardly anything in it.

Just remember that it is only going to be for temporary use even if it is a full size one.

Only my thoughts!! Anyone out there going to shoot me down in flames!!! 😄😄

What matters from the point of view of stowing a spare is not the size of the wheel, but the diameter of the tire fitted to it. 

Hi, yes, agree and it does fit.

you just can’t use the lower floor level or stow the pull out load cover.

personally don’t have a problem with that at all.

Terry

Ahh. So as the wheel diameter gets bigger the tyre profile gets less so the overall circumference and total diameter of the 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels remain approximately  the same. So its not a physical reason why Toyota UK have chosen to drop the space saver from the Excel, Dynamic or Prime.

1 hour ago, robo1 said:

Ahh. So as the wheel diameter gets bigger the tyre profile gets less so the overall circumference and total diameter of the 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels remain approximately  the same. So its not a physical reason why Toyota UK have chosen to drop the space saver from the Excel, Dynamic or Prime.

Hi, I have had the opportunity to actually measure the 18 inch wheel and the 17 inch spacesaver and there is nothing in it.

I am only guessing but as you say the overall size difference is very close so a 19 inch may well fit in the boot.

Again guessing but possibly the weight of the 19 inch is just pushing things up close to that magic limit, hence the tube of gunge.

Whatever the reason I personally want my spare wheel. I did a lot of homework before ordering my Rav4 so this switch to 19 inch wheels came as a bit of a shock.

They do look nice though don’t they.

Terry

24 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

...Again guessing but possibly the weight of the 19 inch is just pushing things up close to that magic limit, hence the tube of gunge.

I think so; it's trying to keep the emissions numbers down.

I think Toyota use the weight excuse when the panoramic roof is ordered. There must a cost saving incentive for them. 

18 hours ago, Terry10 said:

...Just remember that it is only going to be for temporary use even if it is a full size one...

Depends - I bought a full size matching alloy and tyre (18") for my 2019 RAV4.  Part of the reason is to be able to bring the spare into play occasionally as a full time wheel, so that when buying new tyres I can put a new one in the boot.  That way, when the car is over 5 years old, I don't end up with a tyre in the boot where the rubber is starting to go off.

Also, at the moment, I have 5 summer tyres (4 originals plus one I bought the for spare) and 5 all-seasons for winter use.  Each time the summer ones go on, I get my dealer to put the best treads at the front, so that eventually all 5 wear to my preferred minimum tread of 3mm at about the same time.  Then, assuming I've had some suitable weather to test the all-seasons and I'm happy with them, I plan to ditch the summer tyres and use all-seasons all the time.  If I'm not happy, I may look at other all-seasons bands or go back to a set of summer and a set of winter tyres.

When I bought my dynamic one of the attractive selling points was definitely that it did not have low profile tyres and did have a spare wheel. Could be a bit of a marketing mistake trying to turn a very practical SUV into a sports car. Bigger wheels with low profile tyres are an option which might cost the owner a lot of money in tyre replacement and rim damage, not to mention ride quality.

• Like 1

Hi

You reckon that they are low profile tyres ????
I wont be happy about that if they are low profile. It is so easy to trash the rim edge.

Terry

1 hour ago, roadster-rav said:

When I bought my dynamic one of the attractive selling points was definitely that it did not have low profile tyres and did have a spare wheel. Could be a bit of a marketing mistake trying to turn a very practical SUV into a sports car. Bigger wheels with low profile tyres are an option which might cost the owner a lot of money in tyre replacement and rim damage, not to mention ride quality.

I don't think that is quite right - the RAV4 is never really going to be a sports car. Sadly Toyota have evolved the "Recreational Activity Vehicle with 4 wheel drive" into a "company rep-mobile" as concisely described by Rav Rob in another thread. I've nothing against company car drivers (I was one once), nor against Toyota developing cars ideally suited to that market and priced to fit with the corresponding tax law, but it's 'sad' to witness the demise of a charismatic and iconic vehicle such as the RAV4. A few years ago we wouldn't have seen a company car driver on this forum - now the place is crawling with them ... 🙂

On 11/2/2020 at 5:47 PM, Rav Rob said:

I wouldn't even try and persuade you as its not designed for you.

Its designed for people like me to lease as a company car, being over 2.0, unlike most other PHEVs, I would get reimbursed 17p per mile by my employer so would only need to average a comfortable 28mpg to not be out of pocket and infact as long as I better that, I even make a small tax free profit. If I had one of the German PHEV's which are all sub 2.0 I would only get 12p a mile so would have to keep over 40mpg over all distances to break even, not much fun as PHEVs are heavy so it means feather footed driving.

Compared to a regular SUV like a Discovery Sport that costs about the same even in base trim, over a 3 year lease the RAV PHEV could save me £10,000 in company car tax back into my pocket.

When I am home in the evening and weekends myself and my wife can run around locally using just electrical power far cheaper than petrol.

So unless your in this specific boat, you very much are better off with the regular car. enjoy!

15 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

Hi

You reckon that they are low profile tyres ????
I wont be happy about that if they are low profile. It is so easy to trash the rim edge.

Terry

Terry,

They are not "low profile" tyres but they are certainly lower profile than was fitted previously. 2020 models tend to have 18" of wheel with 135mm of tyre wall around it; 2021 model have 19" of wheel with about 124mm of tyre wall. You gain an inch of alloy and lose about an inch of tyre wall to keep the diameter the same ...

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

Terry,

They are not "low profile" tyres but they are certainly lower profile than was fitted previously. 2020 models tend to have 18" of wheel with 135mm of tyre wall around it; 2021 model have 19" of wheel with about 124mm of tyre wall. You gain an inch of alloy and lose about an inch of tyre wall to keep the diameter the same ...

Thanks Philip, was getting a bit worried then. Last thing I want with this new car is a rough ride.

Terry

So lower profile tyres produce a rougher ride, more noise, more susceptible to rim damage, perform less well in winter conditions and fuel economy is compromised.  So I wonder why they are being fitted on the hybrid RAV.

Perhaps it’s , as Philip42h , says its the next step in the evolution a company rep-mobile RAV  and nothing to do with getting rid of the space saver

We've seen it all before.

When the 3rd generation Prius was launched in 2009, the base model had 15" wheels and the middle and top trim had 17".  The actual circumference at the outer edge of the tyre was almost identical, but there was over twice as much rubber and air between the wheel rim and the road on the 15" ones.

Having spent (probably) millions getting a fantastic 0.25 drag coefficient on the 15" version, (a 0.01 improvement on the Gen 2 - which is actually a big improvement despite the small value) cars with 17" wheels had a CD of 0.27, actually worse than the old model (and worse mpg and CO2 emissions too).  [This was due to the tyres on 17" rims being wider, and therefore creating extra drag).

There were a lot of complaints that cars on 17" wheels were noisier, more prone to rattles, had a harsher ride and tyres were significantly more expensive to replace, and it made the turning circle worse too.  Cars with 17" wheels also didn't qualify for exemption from the London Congestion Charge.

At least when the 4th Gen Prius came out in 2016, the top two trims came with 17" wheels but when ordering it was possible to specify 15" instead.  I did this, and was delighted to get a £400 price reduction as a result.  Cars which defaulted to 17" wheels got a repair kit instead of space saver, but a space saver could also be specified where ordering as a no cost option.

Although my RAV4 Excel came with 18" wheels, unlike the base model's 17" ones, there is plenty of rubber between the rim and road, and I'm happy enough with the ride quality.  Given the choice though, I'd  have happily taken the 17" wheels.  Not sure I'd want the 19" wheels. but I'm unlikely to change.  The Plug-in would tempt me (especially with a Head Up Display), but not with the other features it looks likely to come with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

We've seen it all before.

When the 3rd generation Prius was launched in 2009, the base model had 15" wheels and the middle and top trim had 17".  The actual circumference at the outer edge of the tyre was almost identical, but there was over twice as much rubber and air between the wheel rim and the road on the 15" ones.

Having spent (probably) millions getting a fantastic 0.25 drag coefficient on the 15" version, (a 0.01 improvement on the Gen 2 - which is actually a big improvement despite the small value) cars with 17" wheels had a CD of 0.27, actually worse than the old model (and worse mpg and CO2 emissions too).  [This was due to the tyres on 17" rims being wider, and therefore creating extra drag).

There were a lot of complaints that cars on 17" wheels were noisier, more prone to rattles, had a harsher ride and tyres were significantly more expensive to replace, and it made the turning circle worse too.  Cars with 17" wheels also didn't qualify for exemption from the London Congestion Charge.

At least when the 4th Gen Prius came out in 2016, the top two trims came with 17" wheels but when ordering it was possible to specify 15" instead.  I did this, and was delighted to get a £400 price reduction as a result.  Cars which defaulted to 17" wheels got a repair kit instead of space saver, but a space saver could also be specified where ordering as a no cost option.

Although my RAV4 Excel came with 18" wheels, unlike the base model's 17" ones, there is plenty of rubber between the rim and road, and I'm happy enough with the ride quality.  Given the choice though, I'd  have happily taken the 17" wheels.  Not sure I'd want the 19" wheels. but I'm unlikely to change.  The Plug-in would tempt me (especially with a Head Up Display), but not with the other features it looks likely to come with.

Hi. Well when I get mine with 19 inch wheels I shall be in a position to do a direct comparison as I have a mate who has a 2020 excel with 18 inch wheels on it.

This will be interesting to see. 
Terry

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/4/2020 at 8:40 PM, robo1 said:

I have just taken delivery of a new dynamic with 19 inch wheels and no spare just a bottle of gunk that will mean a new Tyre if one uses it Grrrrrrrrr! and I can't find a 19 inch spare listed anywhere.

On 11/4/2020 at 6:04 PM, robo1 said:

I have just taken delivery of a new Toyota Rav4 Dynamic and was shocked to have no spare wheel just a bottle of gunk that if your dumb enough to us will mean your Tyre is irreparable, I can't find a 19 inch space saver listed anywhere does anyone know where I can get one ?   

16 minutes ago, John Wakley said:

I have just taken delivery of a new Toyota Rav4 Dynamic and was shocked to have no spare wheel just a bottle of gunk that if your dumb enough to us will mean your Tyre is irreparable, I can't find a 19 inch space saver listed anywhere does anyone know where I can get one ?   

The rolling radius of your shiny new 19" wheels is exactly the same as my 18" wheels so the same space saver will fit. Here's an example: https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/toyota-rav-4-2005-present-day-17-space-saver-spare-wheel-and-tool-kit/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1PSDBhDbARIsAPeTqrdNn1I44SFmrWRY7iTn-rMXz62Ow6UnM-a9g31DNgwK1QqVq_jqiP4aAqLNEALw_wcB that will fit perfectly well ... (they'll also sell you a retaining bolt). They are, of course, many other suppliers ...

On 4/19/2021 at 9:07 PM, John Wakley said:

Did I miss something? The last time I used an OEM slime pack the tyre was washed out (much to the disgust of the fitter) and repaired. No ruined tyre, no change in longevity, TPMS sensor re-used after a wipe down. That said, I have read Toyota suggest replacing the TPMS module if you use the slime kit, at £80 a pop that doesn’t fill me with happy thoughts, though anecdotal evidence suggests it’s not actually required.

I’ve suffered what was categorised as a blow out at high speed, objectively speaking it wasn’t. It was simply a puncture that wasn’t noticed while travelling at 70mph for a long distance (not a RAV), what happened next was easily avoidable, if I had TPMS or something like Ultraseal already fitted. TPMS would have alerted me to a drop in pressure on one tyre allowing me to swap it (or not) and Ultraseal would have dealt with the puncture preventing the loss of air and ultimately the resulting blow out. I genuinely rate Ultraseal for my bikes, you don’t exactly have room under the seat for a spare wheel and I am reliably informed I could hit a ton in first gear if I were so inclined.

As above the move to slime is unfortunate, although bigger alloys may look nice, they generally don’t improve the ride quality at all and from personal experience seem more prone to punctures. Having just gone from 16” to 18” the ride comfort change is noticeable over poor road surfaces and speed bumps, but I am comparing an 18 month old Bilstein suspension set-up with 10K on it and 16” wheels to 7 y/o OEM Toyota with 80K+ on it with 18” wheels. If I can be bothered, I might try the 16” on the 4th gen just to see what they feel like, failing that I can see the wife insisting on buying new shocks for Christmas, as she has back problems.

• 10 months later...

I have a 2021 Rav4 with 19 inch rims , has anyone actually purchased a full size spare? I visited my local quick fit & a 235 /55/19 tyre fitted in the wheel well fine ( the cover cannot fit in the lower shelf , but this is no problem for me)

4 hours ago, BKETPE said:

I have a 2021 Rav4 with 19 inch rims , has anyone actually purchased a full size spare? I visited my local quick fit & a 235 /55/19 tyre fitted in the wheel well fine ( the cover cannot fit in the lower shelf , but this is no problem for me)

The 2021 model has 225/55R19 and the 235 tyre is for the 2022 but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Helloi have just purchased a 2020 rav 4 and need a spare wheel for it can I get a second hand one if so what size and wheel can I get, I think I would prefer a space saver and do other car spare wheels fit

Thank you 

Martin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links