Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wing Mirror Retraction

Josiek

Cannot for the life of me find a button to retract the wing mirrors although told by dealer that it does this.  Corolla Icon Tech 2020

19 minutes ago, Josiek said:

Cannot for the life of me find a button to retract the wing mirrors although told by dealer that it does this.  Corolla Icon Tech 2020

Afraid your dealer is wrong Power fold mirrors are not fitted to Icon/Icon Tech it is only standard from Design spec up

• Like 2

OMG - so I have to get out of the car to retract the mirrors when going through width restriction?  How ridiculous is that having upgraded from an Auris which retracted with no problem and not even top of the range 🤦🏽‍♀️

1 minute ago, Josiek said:

OMG - so I have to get out of the car to retract the mirrors when going through width restriction?  How ridiculous is that having upgraded from an Auris which retracted with no problem and not even top of the range 🤦🏽‍♀️

All relative, the two lower trims on Auris didn't have power folding either same as Corolla, Icon tech is only one spec up from base Icon and top 3 trims Design, GR & Excel all get them.

If your dealer misinformed you best take it up with them 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josiek said:

Oh no I would feel sick having your new car without folding mirrors. 

• Haha 1

Have sent email to the dealer ...... watch this space!

14 hours ago, Josiek said:

I had to study the Corolla spec very carefully as I had an Auris Excel previously and didn't want to lose most of the goodies. So I had to go for the Design spec to get most of what my Auris had ie, fog lights, retracting mirrors,  auto dip rear view mirror, rain sense front wipers, etc etc. The Icon is a bit of an odd ball spec in many ways I feel.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

All relative, the two lower trims on Auris didn't have power folding either same as Corolla, Icon tech is only one spec up from base Icon and top 3 trims Design, GR & Excel all get them.

If your dealer misinformed you best take it up with them 

Icon+ on the auris had them maybe Toyota could think about this on the icon tech on the corolla can’t think why they didn’t do it anyway they want you to spend more money to go for the design

33 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

Icon+ on the auris had them maybe Toyota could think about this on the icon tech on the corolla can’t think why they didn’t do it anyway they want you to spend more money to go for the design

OR Toyota wanted to market a car more affordable so with lesser spec.

• Like 1

It is the individual importer (in this case Toyota GB) that decides on specs and what features each spec has, including building progression from the lower to the higher specs. Also with specs changing from year to year, there are quite often detail improvements added to models during their life where equipment is added.

No point in comparing specs from obsolete models to new models. It is better to use spec information provided by the Toyota importer (brochures, etc) when determining which spec you want (although there is always a disclaimer to say that specs may be changed without notice). Unless you have something to prove you were misled (ie. something in writing from the dealer or salesperson, etc), could be difficult to prove what you say you were told.

• Like 1

That would be one heck of a width restriction. I can just about drive into my garage without folding mine and there is very little clearance around my car. Luckily as an Excel owner I have powered mirrors anyway :)

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

It is the individual importer (in this case Toyota GB) that decides on specs and what features each spec has, including building progression from the lower to the higher specs. Also with specs changing from year to year, there are quite often detail improvements added to models during their life where equipment is added.

No point in comparing specs from obsolete models to new models. It is better to use spec information provided by the Toyota importer (brochures, etc) when determining which spec you want (although there is always a disclaimer to say that specs may be changed without notice). Unless you have something to prove you were misled (ie. something in writing from the dealer or salesperson, etc), could be difficult to prove what you say you were told.

Any idea why Toyota GB chose not to have any trims with BSM?  Might have tempted me further up the range.

36 minutes ago, Sonic_D said:

Any idea why Toyota GB chose not to have any trims with BSM?  Might have tempted me further up the range.

No

• Like 1

I find the retracting mirrors helpful, its an handy indicator to show the car is locked.

• Like 6

When the model gets a facelift is probably the time that such features make it lower down the range. 

5 hours ago, AndrueC said:

That would be one heck of a width restriction. I can just about drive into my garage without folding mine and there is very little clearance around my car. Luckily as an Excel owner I have powered mirrors anyway 🙂

When I got my 2010 Auris, the issue of folding mirrors would have been a deal breaker. The demonstrator didn't have them but I was told the new model year would (and it did). I could not easily drive into the garage with them not folded and in fact I took pictures of the car (I was able to come home in the demonstrator) between the door frames to show the dealer just how tight it was. The previous Corolla was significantly narrower in that respect (and no folding mirrors).

Each new version of a car seems to get bigger in all respects, the old Carina II (which would be an Avensis in todays money) and an Audi A4 fitted easily into the same space.

Manufacturers would do well to learn that people don't always want bigger. 

I wish the new Yaris Saloon was available in the UK. Are you listening Toyota!   

• Like 1

My 2009 Auris was 40mm wider than my 2006 Corolla, which, when the Auris was being garaged gave approx 25mm clearance between the mirror casing and the door post on each side

Our 2015 and 2020 i20 was/is also wider than the Corolla, despite being in the market sector below.

19 hours ago, bigblock said:

I had to study the Corolla spec very carefully as I had an Auris Excel previously and didn't want to lose most of the goodies. So I had to go for the Design spec to get most of what my Auris had ie, fog lights, retracting mirrors,  auto dip rear view mirror, rain sense front wipers, etc etc. The Icon is a bit of an odd ball spec in many ways I feel.

Absolutely, these extras you describe are most important and practical, they been used everyday by many of us, I personally don’t want to hear about car having not folding mirrors, auto dim rear mirror, reversing camera, cruise control even basic models should all have these things. Sorry but anything less than Design it’s no a good deal. , and those seems most popular due to been used as taxis and PH. 👍

17 hours ago, Sonic_D said:

My company car is an excel TS, with the JBL and pan roof.

I figured it would be an excel with the extras added...it isn't 

When I spoke to the agent, who then spoke to Toyota, apparently there are more 'trim' options, as basically my model has no BSM ( one of the reasons I wanted the excel), or RCTA. (plus other minor differences)

Otherwise though I'm very happy with the car.

Toyota are also going to apparently change the feed into the agent, to reflect this.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have just taken delivery of a new Toyota Corolla, so very disappointed no retracting mirrors. yet you get a heated seat what a waste of time that is

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, millsyguy said:

Yet you get a heated seat what a waste of time that is.

I felt that way about heated seats, and seeing as you in Kent, and with global warming, I understand why you feel that way. Is this your first hybrid ? If it isn't then don't read any further.

I am waiting for delivery on a Yaris, and I didn't want to pay for the higher spec level to have the heated seats, because of more than just the seats, to be honest. However, before ordering the car I didn't understand how Toyota's hybrid system worked, and now I do understand I see the advantage.

Toyota's hybrids are essentially electric vehicles with an ICE, and use the ICE as little as possible, i.e. no wasted heat. In a normal ICE heat is wasted all the time which is why it gets toasty inside quickly. It takes longer in a hybrid and your mpg suffers as a result (and because of cooler temperatures for the battery). The Zoe EV, for example, doesn't have a heater system as standard, but it does have heated seats to give a feeling of comfort when it's cold. So, if I could just add the heated seats to my order I would without hesitation.

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

Toyota's hybrids are essentially electric vehicles with an ICE, and use the ICE as little as possible, i.e. no wasted heat. In a normal ICE heat is wasted all the time which is why it gets toasty inside quickly. It takes longer in a hybrid and your mpg suffers as a result (and because of cooler temperatures for the battery).

I'm not sure that's correct. Toyota's ICE will start up purely to provide cabin heat if the need arises. It always comes on within a dozen seconds of me starting the car during the winter, before I've even started backing out of the garage. But in summer it will easily get me to the end of my road and if babied I can get all the way out of my estate to the junction with the main road.

Back when I was commuting I also noticed it come on a couple of times while going downhill even though it was actually charging the Battery or at least barely taking anything out  of it - this was on cold mornings when there was a frost.

It's possible that there is logic to moderate this feature if the electric seats are on but I'm not sure what the point would be. The ICE is the ultimate source of all the energy in the Battery anyway(*) so at best you're just deferring the ICE starting for a while.

(*)None of it is free. Even the energy claimed back from coasting downhill (which is a small proportion of the energy anyway) is just potential energy originally given to the vehicle by the ICE in climbing the hill. Toyota's HSD is clever and does a good job of mitigating ICE related losses but every drop of energy coming out of the Battery is the result of burning a drop of petrol previously.

TANSTAAFL

🙂

• Like 1

@AndrueC Getting into the car when it is, say, 8°C on a cool morning. I feel the cold in my back, and having chronic back trouble I would welcome a bit more warmth before the cabin came up to temperature.

Admittedly, I am speculating, but I think a lower cabin temperature could be set if the seats warm up “quicker”.

With respect to where does all the energy come from, then you are right it comes from the ICE, but does the regen braking deserve some credit?

• Like 1

Thinking about it, I suppose it's possible that the ECU in monitoring the ICE might decide that the ICE is already at a good temperature and that running it again might require it to exhaust more hot hair than the cabin needs. It might therefore 'gamble' that by running the seat heaters it can defer replacing that energy until a point in time when the ICE has to be run anyway. In effect it could use the Battery as a buffer to help it keep the ICE at an optimum temperature.

Toyota employ some clever people so assuming my limited knowledge of how an ICE works is correct it sounds feasible. Didn't the early Prius' have a heat storage flask to try and keep the coolant warm when parked?

Edit: Yes regen braking helps a bit but having owned my Corolla for several years I reckon that in normal driving the Battery gets most of its charge from the ICE. On the other hand I very rarely use my brakes so I can't speak for other drivers but it seems unlikely that it can be a major source of energy unless you're actually riding the pedal. And of course as with a hill - you can only get energy from the brakes if you have first expended the energy to get moving.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have minded the heated seats and steering wheel! I didn't expect the Mk4 to be more like my diesel than a petrol, in the sense that I can get half way to work before I start feeling any warmth!

It's weird, as although the engine temp display rises to half way quite quickly, it doesn't really heat the cabin very well until a lot later, and I noticed having the temps set to e.g. 26C caused the engine temp to drop much faster (Logical!), which required it to spin up the ICE more often.

The problem, that I suspect all hybrid owners get, is you feel you don't want the engine running, and start driving in a way to minimise the amount of engine run time!

So having the heat on, you get very conscious of how much fuel you are wasting by the engine running JUST to generate heat (I was watching the power display and *sometimes* it was literally just running the engine for heat - No power going to the wheels or the Battery!!)

And in the Mk4, when the engine is running when stationary it's really obnoxious.

I just can't do it... so now I wear a coat when driving in the cold and turn the HVAC off completely :laugh:

My driving style has reverted to how I drove a diesel, so regen braking gets me very little energy back. The 'score' always gives me poor marks for acceleration and braking, but maximum for coasting :laugh: I don't care, I'm still averaging 74mpg on this tank! :tongue:

• Haha 1