Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

DTC: P062D, No. 1 Fuel Injector Driver Circuit Performance error code on 2010 RAV4

kissinger

So I bought a RAV4 last week from a dealer near where I live and today on my morning commute I got a check engine warning. Had it diagnosed roadside and it threw up a "DTC: P062D,No. 1 Fuel Injector Driver Circuit Performance error code." Does anyone have any experience with these? What work typically needs doing and is it usually expensive? The dealership should cover it, but I want to make sure they do a proper job and don't do just enough to get it running again for the duration of the warranty. 

There is a TSB 

Ref: EG-0024T-0212

Subject: Loss of engine power and MIL ON due to fuel injector failure - DTC P062DMIL ON

Models: AURIS; AVENSIS; COROLLA; RAV4; TOYOTA RAV4; VERSO

Model codes: ADE150; ADE157; ADE186; ADT270; ADT271; ADE150; ALA40; ALA41; ALA49; ALA30; ALA35; AUR20; AUR21

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON: Some customers may complain about injector failure causing a loss of engine power and MIL ON. DTC P062D (fuel injector driver circuit performance) is stored in the memory of the engine ECU.

PRODUCTION CHANGE: The production process of the fuel injectors has been improved.

REPAIR PROCEDURE: Check the injection feedback value for each injector according to procedure A below.

Results:

1. If the injection feedback value of one ore more injectors is > 3.0 mm³ /st.: => Replace the faulty injector(s) according to the repair manual.

2. If the injection feedback value of all injectors is ≤ 3.0 mm³ /st.: => Replace all injectors according to the repair manual.

Procedure A: - Check the injector feedback value -.

• (a) Connect the intelligent tester to the DCL3.
  • (b) Turn the ignition switch to ON and turn the tester on.
  • (c) Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine and ECT / Data list / Injection feedback Val #1 to #4.
  • (d) Start the engine
  • (e) Read the injection feedback Val #1 to #4 values while idling the engine.

Standard value: Injection feedback Val #1 to “4

Engine speed:* Idling

Reference value: +3.0 mm³ /st or less

*: the A/C and all accessories should be switched off, and the engine should be fully warmed up.

11 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

There is a TSB 

Ref: EG-0024T-0212

Subject: Loss of engine power and MIL ON due to fuel injector failure - DTC P062DMIL ON

Models: AURIS; AVENSIS; COROLLA; RAV4; TOYOTA RAV4; VERSO

Model codes: ADE150; ADE157; ADE186; ADT270; ADT271; ADE150; ALA40; ALA41; ALA49; ALA30; ALA35; AUR20; AUR21

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON: Some customers may complain about injector failure causing a loss of engine power and MIL ON. DTC P062D (fuel injector driver circuit performance) is stored in the memory of the engine ECU.

PRODUCTION CHANGE: The production process of the fuel injectors has been improved.

REPAIR PROCEDURE: Check the injection feedback value for each injector according to procedure A below.

Results:

1. If the injection feedback value of one ore more injectors is > 3.0 mm³ /st.: => Replace the faulty injector(s) according to the repair manual.

2. If the injection feedback value of all injectors is ≤ 3.0 mm³ /st.: => Replace all injectors according to the repair manual.

Procedure A: - Check the injector feedback value -.

• (a) Connect the intelligent tester to the DCL3.
  • (b) Turn the ignition switch to ON and turn the tester on.
  • (c) Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine and ECT / Data list / Injection feedback Val #1 to #4.
  • (d) Start the engine
  • (e) Read the injection feedback Val #1 to #4 values while idling the engine.

Standard value: Injection feedback Val #1 to “4

Engine speed:* Idling

Reference value: +3.0 mm³ /st or less

*: the A/C and all accessories should be switched off, and the engine should be fully warmed up.

Thanks. I really appreciate it. This will help me make sure the dealer does the required work. Are these tests any garage can do or would only Toyota have the necessary equipment?

• 1 year later...

Long time lurker, first time poster here. And an archeologist apparently.

The TSB is a treasure and I will go and try it now. 

However, for me these symptoms are intermittent. In the past week I have had about three separate incidents, where the symptoms described above present on startup.

Hit the start button and it starts with a shudder and runs on three cylinders for a few seconds, but then it's fine. This only happens on one in eight or so starts. Not all cold starts either. 

Once it clears up the car drives fine, pulls clean. 

Could a bad injector be bad only some of the time?

The DTC is always the same, listing a cylinder 1 injector driver issue

The car is a 2010 Avensis T150 or 110kw with 210k miles. She is a bit rough under the hood, so I wonder if it could be a bad wiring connection? 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I took out the first injector. The injector tip was carboned up, but no more than one would expect after even 50k miles. 

I cleaned the tip with the only thing to hand, some electrical cleaner spray, and a sponge. I also cleaned the injector bore and cranked the engine over with the other injectors unplugged to try to blow some of the crud out of the cylinder. That may not have worked so well, because once I reassembled everything I got the P2002 code, meaning the DPF was blocked. 

Once I fixed that, by unplugging the DPF pressure sensor hose and doing a forced regen on the motorway for 20 miles in 4th at 60, both the P062d and the P2002 seem to be fixed.

If before I would get limp mode within 3 minutes of driving, every time, then now it has done 400 miles without a MIL or anything. 

Honestly, I don't know which step actually fixed the injector error, so your mileage(heh) may vary. I just didn't have the heart to buy new injectors for 20 to 50% of the value of the car.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 7:38 AM, kissinger said:

Thanks. I really appreciate it. This will help me make sure the dealer does the required work. Are these tests any garage can do or would only Toyota have the necessary equipment?

Hi Christopher, certainly make sure your dealer sorts it properly, my daughter's RAV4 has been with the local garage for over a month re injector problems and seem to be getting nowhere ☹️

• 3 months later...

Hi @kissinger,

How did you get on with this? I've got the same P062D error diagnosed by Toyota with the recommendation to replace all 4 injectors. The behaviour is the same as yours, the VSC error started about 6 weeks ago and it comes and goes. My car has 137k kms on it and apparently it's right on cue for injectors to start giving trouble. The price to replace all 4 is about 1500 or 1600 euro, 25/30% of the value of the car. Second hand cars have gone through the roof, so still probably worth it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links