Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternate socket design to remove stuck 10mm engine nuts?

Tommygunn

I'm trying to remove some 10mm nuts but unfortunately they are stuck and I can feel them starting to give on the corners. Is there an alternative socket design (I'm using a standard 10mm hex socket) that will have better purchase on the nut, maybe a socket that applies pressure to the flats?

Would a suitably sized Torx socket work? I've also heard of 'Milli Inch' sockets that work on both mm and inch fasteners and apply pressure to the flats but I can't find any trace of them. Do you know of them, have I got the name right?

Any ideas?

Tom.

Try to get your hads on a single hex socket.

If you know it's 10mm don't bother with anything but a 10mm socket.

Metrinch are a one size fits all alternative for amateurs.

10 minutes ago, Tommygunn said:

I'm trying to remove some 10mm nuts but unfortunately they are stuck and I can feel them starting to give on the corners. Is there an alternative socket design (I'm using a standard 10mm hex socket) that will have better purchase on the nut, maybe a socket that applies pressure to the flats?

Would a suitably sized Torx socket work? I've also heard of 'Milli Inch' sockets that work on both mm and inch fasteners and apply pressure to the flats but I can't find any trace of them. Do you know of them, have I got the name right?

Any ideas?

Tom.

'Metrinch"

Stivino,

Could you clarify what you mean by that? Could you link me to the design? Reason I'm confused because I used the term 'hex' for a standard, six sided socket for a standard, six sided nut.

Tom.

By "standard" I thought you meant a double hex/12 point socket.  Single hex is six point.

If the socket you are using is a good fit, it shouldn't round off the corners.

What nuts are you trying to undo?

A 6 point hex socket is your best bet, as it holds on the flats and not the points, if they are exhaust manifold bolts, the nuts turn to cheese (constant heat cycling softens the metal)

2016-04-19_17-17-27-640x355.jpg

10mm = 3/8" (9.52mm) you may need to tap it over the nut

Cheap socket sets are cheap for a reason

If you’re not in a hurry intermittent spray with a good quality penetrating oil over a period of 24 hrs, sometimes works. Also shock can work if you can find a way to shock the head without doing any damage to the nut.

Stivino,

They are manifold nuts and as Flash has said they have turned to cheese.

Flash22,

That's a good idea using a slightly smaller imperial socket. I'll get one later.

Bernard,

Yep, I've been using some. I'll try shocking them, I suppose the socket on the nut(flanged nuts), piece of wood and a hammer if there's room to swing one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links