Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TPMS woes

Vince88

Hi,

I recently replaced my TPMS sensors in my RAV4 t180, 2008 (4 tyres only). I was trying to avoid an MOT failure on the warning light only to learn that pre 2012 is not applicable anyway. Never mind, I have the MOT now but atill want to get this sorted.

They are autel MX sensors. The tyre fitter provided me the sensor id e.g. C770el5l5c001121

I used techstream to add the last seven characters to the system for ID 1 to 4 bit sadly the tpms light has stayed on. I was hoping it would recognise the sensors and reset.

I have read that you need to press a TPMS reset but cannot find this switch. I suspect this switch it is limited to US cars.

So, my questions are -

* which IDs are which wheel positions?

* Is there a way to reset the TPMS to relearn the positions.

* Is there a reset switch 🙂

I have already spent too much on this car recently (new scv valve, injector, wheel hub bearings and tyres) so would prefer a solution that does not involve the main dealer.

Thanks

I can't help with the procedure for programming the four sensor ids into the system - but maybe you've cracked this already?

The Toyota system doesn't know or care which sensor relates to which wheel. When the light comes on it's up to the owner to work out which wheel is down on pressure. (Slightly mad and sad but true).

There is a reset switch, centrally placed, under the steering column. You need to be a contortionist or use a mirror to see it - lying with your head in the footwell might work ... 🙂 Accurately set all four tyres to the correct pressure then press and hold the reset button (IIRC) so the the system learns the correct pressures ...

Thank you philip4wh, I'll limber up and have a better look tomorrow. 

its under the dash just above the pedals or next to the obd2 port, each sensor has its own id

once reset, if the pressures are set correctly and the tpms is not flashing it should find them within a 5 mile drive

From memory, I suspect that you are looking too low down. It's a little higher up set into the grey plastic of the lower dash. Quite easy to reach while sitting in the drivers seat - just impossible to see.

Sorry, I can't send a photo - or be entirely sure - since my 4.3 (SR180) was two cars ago! 

• 2 weeks later...

Btw, still never found the button.

Probably going to need a visit to garage 😞

9 hours ago, Vince88 said:

Btw, still never found the button.

Probably going to need a visit to garage 😞

As flash22 says, it should be on the same level as the OBD2 port as pretty central under the steering column. Looking at your pictures, I can't help wondering whether you are missing a piece of lower dash panel trim - a piece just beneath the knee air bag - and that is where the TPMS reset button was ... ?

Hopefully there is a 4.3 owner on here you could post a photo of exactly where it is on their car ... ?

It may not have one, have you programmed each ID in techstream, are the pressures correct ?

Once connected, on the main screen double click Tire pressure monitoring - what DTC(s) do you have ? - go into the data list and see what wheels are being shown eg. PSI

Have all 4 sensors been changed ?

Pop back to the tyre shop and ask them to read the numbers

you can then program them in TS

In case you're not really bothered as regards keeping the TPMS, there is a guide for disabling the system - 

• 5 months later...
On 11/23/2020 at 11:42 AM, flash22 said:

It may not have one, have you programmed each ID in techstream, are the pressures correct ?

Once connected, on the main screen double click Tire pressure monitoring - what DTC(s) do you have ? - go into the data list and see what wheels are being shown eg. PSI

Have all 4 sensors been changed ?

Pop back to the tyre shop and ask them to read the numbers

you can then program them in TS

Apologies, have not been on this site for a while. Exhaust woes warranted a visit.

I still have not resolved this. I used techstream to program the numbers given by the garage but I think the sensors are left 'blank' to be programmed before they can be linked to car.

Stupidly I just went to the tyre place too and forgot to ask. I suspect a AutelTPMS programmer is needed.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:05 AM, philip42h said:

As flash22 says, it should be on the same level as the OBD2 port as pretty central under the steering column. Looking at your pictures, I can't help wondering whether you are missing a piece of lower dash panel trim - a piece just beneath the knee air bag - and that is where the TPMS reset button was ... ?

Hopefully there is a 4.3 owner on here you could post a photo of exactly where it is on their car ... ?

I took the panels off to look. Pretty sure not one here.

On 11/23/2020 at 12:25 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

In case you're not really bothered as regards keeping the TPMS, there is a guide for disabling the system - 

Yes, I have disabled before now when batteries failed. I replaced all four with the recent tyre change hoping to resolve it as I don't carry a spare.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd provide an update on this 

So, my car is a 2008 Rav4 t180 and had Bridgestone runflats and TPMS fitted  The tyres were removed along with the insert, (great YouTube video on how to do that) and I had standard tyres fitted.

The tpms batteries died so I replaced the sensors with Autel MX sensors which are dual band sensors. These were installed by tyre garage.

The IDs of the sensors were not compatible so I took the following steps. Note - UK models do not have TPMS reset button.

Firstly, I reconnected the pink wire which I had previously used to disable TPMS.

Using Autil MaxiTPMS PAD I programmed the sensors in turn with a unique hexadecimal ID. The software predetermined the number of characters needed. It was possible to program the sensors whilst they were on the tyres wheels.

Using a mini-vci j2534 and techstream I was able to update the IDs in the ECU to match those from autel above. Potentially I could have simply noted the old hexadecimal IDs and use those to programme the sensors.

I then followed the calibration sequence in techstream (tyres were cold but correctly inflated). I was then able to verify the pressure readings using techstream and could verify that the threshold for alarm was a little lower.

The light has since gone out and although I have not tried to deflate the car to verify the alarm, and confident it is working correctly.

So, in summary, vci cable, autel sensors and autel pad programmer (will be putting this back on eBay) were all that were needed and a bit of patience. Total cost about £140 I think (excluding garage and tyre cost).PXL_20220516_191043786.thumb.jpg.1133316753b4f92205b8bab872450b0c.jpg

20 minutes ago, Vince88 said:

Note - UK models do not have TPMS reset button.

... oh yes they do ... 😉

The TPMS reset button is positioned on the cowling beneath the steering column - you'd need to be a contortionist (or have a small mirror) to see it but it's not so hard to find by touch once you know exactly where it is.

All that does is tell the system that all the tyres are at the correct pressure - you'd still need to program in each of the new TPMS Ids as you have done. Well done!

5 hours ago, philip42h said:

... oh yes they do ... 😉

The TPMS reset button is positioned on the cowling beneath the steering column - you'd need to be a contortionist (or have a small mirror) to see it but it's not so hard to find by touch once you know exactly where it is.

All that does is tell the system that all the tyres are at the correct pressure - you'd still need to program in each of the new TPMS Ids as you have done. Well done!

Believe me I looked, pretty sure us folk in rip-off Britain weren't given one so we could happily shove our cash into the main dealers hands.

2 minutes ago, Vince88 said:

Believe me I looked, pretty sure us folk in rip-off Britain weren't given one so we could happily shove our cash into the main dealers hands.

OK, I never had aT180 so I'm not going to argue ... 😉 

It certainly was there on my 2009 SR180 (and took me an age to find) and in broadly the same place on my 2013 4.4. It's disappeared from the 4.5 - it's now one of the many settings that one can access via the steering wheel controls.

Personally, I did the light bypass solution method (described above). Flip the switch, light goes away. 

Maybe use that method and an aftermarket kit? Bought such kit for our XT5 - very reasonable - on Amazon