Do Not Sell My Personal Information

02 sensor issue and juddering/jerking

JayjayMMT

Hello,

I’ve been experiencing a few issues with my Toyota Yaris 2009 1.33 semi auto . To begin, the engine light is on due to the 02 sensor bank 1 sensor. My local mechanic told me to buy a replacement so I got a BOSH make. However, the engine light remains on. The mechanic tried deleting the error but within a few seconds it comes back on.

Next issue, when I’m driving off the car judders and I noticed there are some delays when the car changes gears. This doesn’t happen all the time but it is noticeable. Also, when I’m driving on low Revs the car is jerking heavily ( rocking back and forth) which is extremely annoying in traffic. 

Any advice? And can the both be related to one another? 

Thanks,

Jay 

Jay,

This could relate to the well known MMT problem.

How long have you had the car?

Did you buy it from  a Dealer,ans

Does it have a full Toyota Service History?

Hi John,

I bought it privately and I serviced it at my local mechanic not too long ago. It’s currently at 82k on the clock.

Any ideas what the cause might be for both issues? 

36 minutes ago, JayjayMMT said:

Hi John,

I bought it privately and I serviced it at my local mechanic not too long ago. It’s currently at 82k on the clock.

More reading Jay.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/yaris-2006/

2 hours ago, JayjayMMT said:

Hi John,

Sorry Jay,

I forgot to post this link earlier

Have a read Jay.

Regards

John

I would be inclined to sort out the issue that is causing the Engine management light to come on first - jerky movement at low revs on part throttle can often be caused by a defective or dirty MAF (Mass Airflow) sensor, which will also give other fault codes not related, like mixture too lean or o2 sensor errors. 80K miles on the original MAF at 11 years old could be pointing to it being an issue. The MMT transmission on the Mk2 has been a constant source of problems for owners, and was ditched by the time the Mk3 came out in 2011. The jerkiness from the engine driving along at low speeds in same gear though is probably not the transmission in this instance, as I say, sounds more like a fueling issue due to faulty MAF, so thats the first thing I would look into, as I have had my fair share of old cars in the past that have had issues with MAF, causing jerky drive, poor and erratic idle speed, sometimes stalling during idle. 

• Like 1

Hi Steve, 

Thank you for your reply. Will have a look at that.

I also noticed and this is something very recent when I’m holding the brake for a period of time and it’s on drive. The transition fault sign starts beeping for a few seconds and switching back off. Any ideas what this is? 

Had the same problem all I did was take out the first sensor quite difficult but doable ( bought wrenches from screwfix) cleaned with carb cleaner and let it soak overnight in petrol only the end not the cable end 😀

refitted and cleaned the air flow sensor and car is running like a dream , no need to buy a new sensor 80 percent of the time just clean it plenty of YouTube videos to see 😁