Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 2000 radio issues

kingnothing

Hi all,

I've just been given a 2000 Toyota Corolla 1.4 and I'm having some issues with the radio. It seems to pick up stations on AM but when listening on FM, everything seems muffled, likes it's not quite tuned in correctly. Does this sound like it needs a new antenna/aerial or could it be something else?

Also, the radio head unit has a button stuck in and I'd like to fix it, does this look like it would be an easy fix or should I just leave it as I is?

Thanks. 

IMG_1102.PNG

Check the aerial is tight and if its plastic coating it hasn't cracked with age or sunlight. The base may have corroded what is easy to access (remove the interior light)

As for the button either take it apart and repair, they are on held by a plastic tang or replace it

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-TOYOTA-COROLLA-1-4-VVTI-DIGITAL-RADIO-INFO-DISPLAY-86110-02030-B1/173434861055?fits=Model%3ACorolla+Compact+(_E11_)|Cars+Year%3A2000&epid=2204599186&hash=item286185f5ff:g:iNsAAOSwhCBbW0ne

Worst ways you build one good one out of the pair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Check the aerial is tight and if its plastic coating it hasn't cracked with age or sunlight. The base may have corroded what is easy to access (remove the interior light)

As for the button either take it apart and repair, they are on held by a plastic tang or replace it

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-TOYOTA-COROLLA-1-4-VVTI-DIGITAL-RADIO-INFO-DISPLAY-86110-02030-B1/173434861055?fits=Model%3ACorolla+Compact+(_E11_)|Cars+Year%3A2000&epid=2204599186&hash=item286185f5ff:g:iNsAAOSwhCBbW0ne

Worst ways you build one good one out of the pair

Thanks Bob, I'm going to have a look at it this afternoon, if I can't fix it I might buy that replacement from eBay. If I change the head unit out, there's no code or anything I need is there? 

2 hours ago, kingnothing said:

Thanks Bob, I'm going to have a look at it this afternoon, if I can't fix it I might buy that replacement from eBay. If I change the head unit out, there's no code or anything I need is there? 

That isn't the radio it's just a control box/display/trip

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, flash22 said:

That isn't the radio it's just a control box/display/trip

So is the radio within the tape cassette player but controlled by the box at the top? 

Also I had a look at the aerial and to me it looks in good shape. I didn't get chance to take out the interior light to look at the underside of the aerial, is it definitely where you access it because the interior light is situated further back than the aerial?

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG