Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear tyres make noise like worn wheel bearing

Sameer Aziz

Hi,

I have a 2013 Toyota Avensis Estate. Not sure if anyone has encountered this problem . I've had one of the rear tyres changed because it sounded like wheel bearing noise and the noise was no more once the new tyre was changed. Now after almost a year and about 20 plus thousand on the new tyre it has started to sound like the old tyre and will only get worse the more I drive. Its got loads if tread left on the tyre. And will be a shame and waste of money to replace it as I have a  feeling the same will happen to the new tyre. Any clues to what could cause this problem. 

Thanks in advance 

Sameer Aziz 

It actually could be the wheel bearing. I would check the bearing first  i can't see how changing the tyre would make any difference to that type of noise.  Unless it was way under inflated maybe. Like maybe an old tyre could be. 20,000 miles on a tyre is a fair amount. Also, in my experience it can be hard to work out which corner of the car a wheel bearing whining type noise is coming from in the rear of the car, especially if you are in the driving seat, on your own in the car. Hard to tell is it driver side or passenger side. I usually have to ask rear seat passengers which corner it is. 

And even if u thought it was one specific tyre, u could swap the rear wheels. And see does it make a difference to which side the noise comes from. 

wheel bearing ......................

• 3 weeks later...

jack the car up and place on axle stand,grasp the top of the tyre with one hand and then grasp the bottom of the tyre in a similar manner.Try to rock the tyre up and down,if there is excessive play or a knocking noise then the bearing is goosed,Time to replace. That's assuming the tyre has been correctly inflated.

• Like 2

This can be due to 'cupping' of the treads - an uneven wear pattern that generates a humming noise. Ideally you should rotate the tyres every 5000 miles or so to even out the wear.

• Like 2

Many years ago I thought is was the rear right wheel bearing, but noticed the noise almost disappeared when the tyre wall pumped to a high pressure. I swapped the wheel bearing after damaging the ABS wheel trying to remove it, but the noise was still there. I only realised it was the tyre, when I had a puncture and replaced with the spare. The result, silence and stayed that way. The noisy tyre was replaced.

Hi Sameer,

I had the same problem with both rear tyres, I too thought it sounded like worn wheel bearings.

I very carefully inspected the tread of the tyres.

Athough these tyres were old over 5 years, there was still plenty of tread.

I saw that some of the tread blocks were uneven some having high points and low points.

Eventually, I changed the tyres and the noise immediately stopped.

mrfixer called it "cupping".

Hope this helps.

Peter.