Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prospective mid to late 2000s Avensis Estate purchaser.

Oligoscenic

Hello!

I am currently deciding what to do. I have a VW Transporter 1.9 tdi that now needs enough work doing to it that I am considering simply getting rid. Not just the DMF going but looks like the clutch too and generally it is just falling apart around the engine. it is also just too big now that the business side of things has changed.

Replacement wise I have seen a few Avensis Estates advertised reasonably locally. It should be said that whilst from the UK I am in Hungary and used cars here are expensive enough that even on a 2005 car will probably need some kind of finance initially at least. Looking at 3 to 4 times the price of an equivalent in the UK. Which is painful.

I have a set budget and whilst petrols are available they are 2004 and more expensive than the diesels. Reading around here the 2.2 is to be avoided, but there are 2.0 D4ds around with under 150,000 miles and seem in decent order. Running from 2005 through to 2008. Otherwise I am looking at a huge selection of Astra and Focus 1.6 petrols!

In terms of use it would be used to move bee hives about when in production and handle any longer trips. Our "work" car is a Subaru Forester petrol that will do all the short local trips. I am also not sure if I need to go back to commuting next year either. Maybe stick a tow bar on.... I only intend to keep it for around 3 years and then see how I am getting on in terms of finance etc. This is the only reason I would consider risking the diesel. Equivalent age cars are considerably cheaper to the point that the difference would cover serious rebuilding. There will be lots of dirt track driving, just what the VW handled so should be ok. I do tend to be quite rough with cars though........................

Only 1.8 petrol examples are 2005 locally which is the age of the oil drinking problems.

I am talking through this as I need to take a decision and get something fairly soon as the VW I simply don't trust anymore and I will get enough for it I would think to cover a deposit. From the Bees I will be able to pay off any finance early. This seems a very nice and knowledgable forum and looking for advice as I weigh up the potential options. I am a recent convert to Japanese cars via Subaru.

What about an Avensis Valvematic. It`s an auto petrol that is almost as economical as a diesel. 

Hardly any petrols, and I need to have an estate, hatchback will not be big enough. Found a Skoda Octavia 4x4 at the same dealer 2005 1.9 tdi,will compare and contrast. I don't like buying cars as too much potential for bad things to happen!

20 minutes ago, Oligoscenic said:

Hardly any petrols, and I need to have an estate, hatchback will not be big enough. Found a Skoda Octavia 4x4 at the same dealer 2005 1.9 tdi,will compare and contrast. I don't like buying cars as too much potential for bad things to happen!

I meant the estate Scott. The auto is an ecvt the same as in my Lexus GS 450h.

Or what about a 2002 Merc W210 estate diesel auto ?https://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/ad/23763999

Ah that is too new! Maybe a bit further into my new career!

Really I am looking for something cheaper that is not risk free but could give a couple of years usage. Not had Toyotas before so reading up here first. Nothing against autlomatics per se.

Volvo 240/740 or 940 estate for me.

My workhorse is my 1996 Volvo 940 SE LPT auto estate. I'm self employed and use as my work vehicle. Very reliable petrol and Auto which I like. Easy to DIY service. Check for rust though as youngest now 22 years old. Great vehicle.

Prior had a Volvo 240 GLT petrol estate for 10 years. Cost me £350. 8 driven as only car and really reliable. Both have a cast iron red block engine. Name comes about as block is painted red and aluminium cylinder head.

240 I sold with 234,000miles. Still running perfect, Lexus scrapped as head gasket went. 2nd photo is my 940. Only on 205,000miles. Owned 4 years. Cost £250 to buy then!

fleet.jpg

Volvo 1.jpg

Hi James, yes, the Volvo is a good option. Somehow I got the feeling that he wanted some economical vehicle, otherwise I would have suggested a Camry Estate.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, john p williams said:

Hi James, yes, the Volvo is a good option. Somehow I got the feeling that he wanted some economical vehicle, otherwise I would have suggested a Camry Estate.

Volvo certainly isn't economical around 25-33mpg. It's so reliable though and ease of maintenance it pays for itself. LPG would be perfect if available.

The Camry would be a good choice. 

I would avoid all diesels after my Lexus IS220D as economy was dreadful. 33-40mpg max. Head gasket issues on the 2.2 litre. Hence buying an Auris Hybrid. Good reliability record and economical.

In 2007 we did have a brand new Corolla 1.4d4d hatch when we lived in France. In the 2.5 years and 44,000km nothing went wrong as you'd expect on a new car. Serviced twice and when sold front tyres down to around 3mm.

James. 

Hi! Yes economics are important. Anything that old though in Hungary I wouldn't go near as I will guarentee it hasn't seen a service for quite a while. I just saw the Avensis estates and they looked the sort of think we would need at not stupid money. For context I recently saw a 2005 Astra with no engine for an asking price of 1600 pounds equivalent. So you see with the prospective budget I am very limited in what is available. So mid to late 2000s cars are 3500 to 4000 pounds equivalent............. I am not comfortable going any older as I have young kids and want something that was not too bad on the NCAP.

At this rate will end up with a petrol Focus or Astra. There are lots!! Not going anywhere near VAG. No Mazdas in budget. Has to be an estate, have a good local mechanic to look after it. As we need to do the deed this month if we are going to do it.

I was looking at the Avensis 2.0 diesels as an option for a couple of years and then move on when things get a bit better. Just a thought. Has to be something that can handle unmade roads and a bit of abuse.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links