Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris Engine management light

ryan2032

My partner has a Toyota Yaris 14 plate 1.0. The engine management light has been on for around 5 years now but has been running completely fine but within the last 6 months when I was driving the car I noticed a drop in revs when I came to a stop. It’s been taken to one mechanic who said it will cost 600-700 to take the engine apart. She got an AA mechanic to have a look and he used a code reader which came back with 37Q/TCCS II V3P1346 - VVT position sensor/ camshaft-position sensor (bank 1). Error message : outside specified range. The oxygen sensor and camshaft sensor have been changed recently but neither fixed the issue, when the Battery is reset the light takes about 5-10minutes to come on.

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem could be?

Presume the car is still the 2004 Yaris mentioned in your previous topic, rather than a 2014, 14 reg referred to in this topic.

Previous topic:

If you have a vvt code why change the o2 and cam sensor

5 years, 5 months or 5 weeks ?

Has it been properly serviced ? with the correct oil

The actual code is P1346 what is the VVT solenoid, and they clog due to lack of oil changes if its really bad it may need the timing gear replace

same issue as 18 months ago, has the car been off the road since then ?

Edit. 04 will be a mk 1 with the 1SZFE

Changing those sensors was an idea from a friend. Looking back at past MOTs we can see the engine management light started 5 years ago as it was on the MOT certificate. It had been properly serviced before she purchased the car but since then it hasn’t had yearly services. The car had an oil change this year.

Had to look it up, as it's an older engine

Location - as you look at the engine - left-hand side at the rear on the timing cover

it's been so long i doubt cleaning it will do anything

off the details given it should be 15330-23010

If it sorts it, you may notice you get some power back at the top of the rev range - it must run like carp atm

That's what the code relates to, the passages in the solenoid foul up if you don't keep up on oil changes and the solenoid burns out

Lack of oil changes also causes premature chain wear

you can always check the resistance with a multimeter, a dead short, open circuit or high resistance is a good sign it's done for

3 hours ago, ryan2032 said:

Do you believe that's what the problem is?

How does the engine run and sound like?

2 hours ago, stantheman1 said:

How does the engine run and sound like?

I personally think it runs fine and acceleration is good. When you stop at lights etc you can hear a drop in revs though.

Someone else looked at the car yesterday and said the chain is about to go and its noisy, it's been noisy for years but can you tell the chain is going to go by not taking the engine apart? Just wondered what are the chances of this happening? Also the car does struggle to start aswell.

Also said the clutch will be on it's way out soon so reckons we are better off spending the money on a new car.

That's why I asked you what it sounded like and if it runs okay, 5 years without any maintenance has killed it, there's only so much abuse an engine can take.

That's why you were quoted £5-600, to replace the chain

Chain and a clutch plus what ever it needs to decoke the engine is going to cost more than the car is worth, i wouldn't be surprised if the top end is worn

Hard to start will be the vvt solenoid

As above if it not been looked after, it probably needs more work than you think (tires, brakes etc)

Based on experience, if the chain is worn, then the camshaft lobes will be worn... 

You will need a new chain, tensioners .

The engine will be clapped out

Worth £100 scrap.

• 1 month later...

I did take the VVT valve out, cleaned it up, tested it and it was still working. So put it back in and the engine management light doesn't come on anymore.

New problem though is the engine is idling at 1300rpm.

Given the age and condition i would say it's a vacuum leak or if the Battery has gone flat recently, it needs to relearn the TPS, it got to be driven

My partner has deffiantly looked after the car terribly. She decided if she could get it past the MOT then she will run it to work and back for another year. If not then scrap it.

Battery hasn't been flat for years.

1 hour ago, ryan2032 said:

My partner has deffiantly looked after the car terribly. She decided if she could get it past the MOT then she will run it to work and back for another year. If not then scrap it.

Battery hasn't been flat for years.

It’s always false economically not to regularly service a no matter of the value or the age of the car. “If it’s not worth an oil and filter change it’s not worth keeping” was the best advice I ever got from an old mechanic many years ago. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links