Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo running light vs headlights

Alantheaygo

Hi everyone, I’m new to the Aygo club and new to car ownership.I just picked up my car last week and I find my daytime running lights are brighter than my actual headlights. Has anyone else found this? My headlights feel too dim for night driving, is it worth talking to the dealership or is something I can do myself? I’m new to car maintainance so it would have to be something simple 

Most daytime running lights nowadays are LED, which appear brighter than halogen bulbs and are more noticeable in daylight. Your headlights will be halogen - HIR2 fitment.

You can purchase upgrade HIR2 bulbs - eg Toyota Optiwhites, PIAA Hyper Arros, etc - which will produce a brighter light, but will have a shorter life. Toyota dealers stock the Optiwhites (made by Philips). Other upgrade bulbs are available from third party websites such as Amazon, eBay, Powerbulbs, etc.

Just double check you haven't got the headlight level switch in the lowest position. The headlights can seem ineffective if they are set low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alantheaygo said:

Sounds like a trip to Halfords is in order then

Not sure if you were meaning that literally. :-)

Last time I looked, Halfords did't stock any high-power bulbs in this size.  And they routinely are out of stock of any bulbs in the HIR2 format in several of the superstores local to me.

Might be worth a phone call to a local branch to save a wasted trip! 

The Toyota Optiwhite bulbs mentioned are around £53 a pair, by way of comparison.  They seem to last about a year of 'normal' driving, and from personal experience, when they fail it can be with just minutes before the matched pair fails as well.  Keep spare bulbs in the car!  The HIR2 single filament bulb works high and low beam off the same filament (yes, really), so when the bulb blows the headlamp on that side is totally useless.

This thread is worth a look, especially at the latest posts.

2 hours ago, Gerg said:

Not sure if you were meaning that literally. 🙂

Last time I looked, Halfords did't stock any high-power bulbs in this size.  And they routinely are out of stock of any bulbs in the HIR2 format in several of the superstores local to me.

Might be worth a phone call to a local branch to save a wasted trip! 

The Toyota Optiwhite bulbs mentioned are around £53 a pair, by way of comparison.  They seem to last about a year of 'normal' driving, and from personal experience, when they fail it can be with just minutes before the matched pair fails as well.  Keep spare bulbs in the car!  The HIR2 single filament bulb works high and low beam off the same filament (yes, really), so when the bulb blows the headlamp on that side is totally useless.

This thread is worth a look, especially at the latest posts.

Okay! Interesting to know I’m not the only person that’s had this issue. Thanks for the tips, will definitely look into getting some better bulbs but it’s pretty disappointing