Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Amplifier Install

satts67

Hi all,

2013 Rav4 with very poor sound can barely hear it at speed even with volume turned right up.

I would like to add an amplifier to the standard touch and go and change the Speakers. Im ok with the Speakers but need some help with adding an amplifier / recommendations etc.

Has anyone any experience of this? Many thanks

I'm going through the process of upgrading the audio in my 2017 Rav4. It got all the components and I'm doing it bit by bit whenever I find time.

I'm leaving the stock head unit for now.

Here's what I got, all Alpine:

SXE0825 for the dash

SPG17C2 for the front and back doors

KTA450 amp

I also got the speaker adaptors + headunit harness bypass to avoid cutting stock cables.

So far I only managed to get the dash Speakers in which already made a difference. I also got the amp wiring done (not connected yet).

I found this yt video useful when wiring the amp  https://youtu.be/2dCXRGp-nEc

Use a SOT lead to splice the Speakers - use the speaker level in on the amp or use a line level adapter, the Rockford amps are tiny but not exactly cheap

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/amplifiers/two-channel-amplifiers/rockford-fosgate-punch-pbr300x2-300-watt-brt-amplifier

The KTA450 has been discontinued you can still get the KTP-445

Use a SOT lead to splice the speakers - use the speaker level in on the amp or use a line level adapter, the Rockford amps are tiny but not exactly cheap
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/amplifiers/two-channel-amplifiers/rockford-fosgate-punch-pbr300x2-300-watt-brt-amplifier

The KTA450 has been discontinued you can still get the KTP-445

I don't think you are right with KTA450 being discontinued.

They are listed on Alpine UK website as current product and you can buy them in many online shops.

I got these 2 from Amazon US, they ship to UK.

Haven't installed the amplifier yet so can't confirm that they'll work but from the description they should.

Scosche TA02B Wire Harness to Connect An Aftermarket Stereo R... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009UHKW/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_awdb_imm_t1_5F-SFb5ATRGZS

Scosche TA02RB Compatible with Select 1984-17 Toyota Power/Sp... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007KK2LK/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_awdb_imm_t1_-H-SFb9Z5ENP7

Standard sot aka T harness leads breaks out to iso, i have used them for years on all sorts of cars, it's also a cheap way of souring plugs for repair

CT10TY01

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT10TY01-For-A-Toyota-Auris-2007-Onwards-Car-Stereo-ISO-T-Harness-Adapter-Lead/253949279525?hash=item3b208e7d25:g:F2QAAOSwFmRb0ZYZ

Alpine still list items on their site for Reference even when it comes to EOL only found a few in stock, Its not uncommon for a supplier to have stock left on the shelf

6 hours ago, raf82 said:

I'm going through the process of upgrading the audio in my 2017 Rav4. It got all the components and I'm doing it bit by bit whenever I find time.

I'm leaving the stock head unit for now.

Here's what I got, all Alpine:

SXE0825 for the dash

SPG17C2 for the front and back doors

a amp

I also got the speaker adaptors + headunit harness bypass to avoid cutting stock cables.

So far I only managed to get the dash speakers in which already made a difference. I also got the amp wiring done (not connected yet).

I found this yt video useful when wiring the amp https://youtu.be/2dCXRGp-nEc

Hi, Thanks all helpful stuff. Where are you siting the Amp? Are you running power from the Battery? Are you using speaker lever inputs or a line output converter? Which is best?

What about remote turn on? In the video it also talks about splicing and  running separate power and ground from the head unit, why is this needed if power is coming from the Battery?

I already have an Alpine SWE 815 do you know if this will increase speaker volume or only add base? I think it only takes inputs? Sorry for all the questions I am just a bit confused by all the options.

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

Standard sot aka T harness leads breaks out to iso, i have used them for years on all sorts of cars, it's also a cheap way of souring plugs for repair

CT10TY01

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT10TY01-For-A-Toyota-Auris-2007-Onwards-Car-Stereo-ISO-T-Harness-Adapter-Lead/253949279525?hash=item3b208e7d25:g:F2QAAOSwFmRb0ZYZ

Alpine still list items on their site for Reference even when it comes to EOL only found a few in stock, Its not uncommon for a supplier to have stock left on the shelf

Is it required to use 12V and ground if taking from the Battery? Thanks

Hi, Thanks all helpful stuff. Where are you siting the Amp? Are you running power from the battery? Are you using speaker lever inputs or a line output converter? Which is best?
What about remote turn on? In the video it also talks about splicing and  running separate power and ground from the head unit, why is this needed if power is coming from the battery?
I already have an Alpine SWE 815 do you know if this will increase speaker volume or only add base? I think it only takes inputs? Sorry for all the questions I am just a bit confused by all the options.
As I said I haven't connected it yet so don't take my answers as gospel but here is my plan, hope it works when I get to it.

I put the amp in the glove box, the Alpine amp I chose is small so if went in no problem. It came with a stand/bracket and I made couple of holes in the glove box to help release the heat. Apparently this model of the amp is not heating up badly but I'll have the true answer when I get it connected and running.

So I have fitted the Alpine 3.5 inch Speakers in the dash. Very easy job. Cant believe how poor the original ones were, light as a feather and made of paper!

I used these adapters: Connects2 CT55-TY02 Speaker Loom Adapter for Toyota GT-86 2014

The red and black leads need to be connected together and soldered onto normal speaker leads such as the ones that come with Speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

That's it, amp installed.

Sitting nicely in the glove box.

The wiring harnesses I mentioned in my previous posts made it easy to connect. 345c2eeaf48c03da0ec581dbbdfdf767.jpg

Hi, Thanks all helpful stuff. Where are you siting the Amp? Are you running power from the battery? Are you using speaker lever inputs or a line output converter? Which is best?

What about remote turn on? In the video it also talks about splicing and  running separate power and ground from the head unit, why is this needed if power is coming from the battery?

Just to answer your questions about the power leads. No need to connect directly to the car Battery.

You can tap in the amp to the head unit wires. The HU has constant 12v wire and a ground wire, just tap into them. For the remote-on tap into the ignition power wire.

I've done the above and it works as expected.

21a4061d40f9bb82d26718fbcc071901.jpg

Glad you have it all working. I have decided to go for a Kenwood 4 channel Amp under the seat. Its a lot more involved and will take a bit more effort as I have to find a way of getting a power cable to the Battery and identify a wired ground. If anyone has done this on a Gen4 please post. I have changed all the door Speakers and dash Speakers but wont get the benefit until I have the amp up and running.

Glad you have it all working. I have decided to go for a Kenwood 4 channel Amp under the seat. Its a lot more involved and will take a bit more effort as I have to find a way of getting a power cable to the battery and identify a wired ground. If anyone has done this on a Gen4 please post. I have changed all the door speakers and dash speakers but wont get the benefit until I have the amp up and running.
Good luck with your installation.

I still have the stock Speakers in the doors as I'm waiting for adapters. Even with stock Speakers the amp made a big difference.

I also got speaker baffles for my dash Alpines.
They do a good job reducing the vibrations.

I used these leads and cut the old Speakers out with a Stanley knife. Then I used doubled sided tape and small screws to secure the Speakers to the original housings. The lead pushes in nicely where the old lead plugs in if you remove the OEM white female socket. Half and hour per door.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Speaker-Connector-Adaptor-Lead-Cable-Plug-for-Toyota-Aygo/254309754626?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20201124_124150_resized.jpg

• Like 1

I used these leads and cut the old speakers out with a Stanley knife. Then I used doubled sided tape and small screws to secure the speakers to the original housings. The lead pushes in nicely where the old lead plugs in if you remove the OEM white female socket. Half and hour per door.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Speaker-Connector-Adaptor-Lead-Cable-Plug-for-Toyota-Aygo/254309754626?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
20201124_124150_resized.thumb.jpg.e8cc0dea19aa401e4891462d1bb545c7.jpg
Good man, thanks for the instructions

Only cut the the paper part of the speaker out (and copper wire) then inside there are some plastic fins - cut these out with a pair of side cutters. Then you will be left with just the original plastic housing which will accommodate the 6.5 inch Speakers perfectly. See link for detail

http://www.rav4gen5.com/2020/05/how-to-upgrade-door-speaker.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 2:59 PM, satts67 said:

So I have fitted the Alpine 3.5 inch speakers in the dash. Very easy job. Cant believe how poor the original ones were, light as a feather and made of paper!

I used these adapters: Connects2 CT55-TY02 Speaker Loom Adapter for Toyota GT-86 2014

The red and black leads need to be connected together and soldered onto normal speaker leads such as the ones that come with speakers.

I  also went with this but ordered a pair of harness from Aliexpress with the leads pre-soldered (Toyota Speaker Wire Harness Adapter Tacoma 2016). Everything went smoothly but I did have to re-drill the Alpine mounting holes so the existing screws could fit. The new Speakers sound a lot clearer so 32 quids well spent and thank you both for the suggestion.

I willalso  be fitting a kenwood amplifier under the rear seat when the weather warms up a bit and an Alpine subwoofer in the load area I will do a full write once done highlighting any mistakes I am bound to make!