Sign in to follow this  
x110

Engine choice

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I'm looking to upgrade from my E11 Corolla and I'm considering an Auris.

I'll be doing around 20-25K a year with a 65/35 urban/city cycle.

I'm looking at a 2015 facelift 1.4 D4D or a 1.8 Hybrid.

What kind of MPG could I expect from either of them?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, when we talk about Toyota the engine choice of mine will be the hybrid one. Much better drive, more reliable, easier to maintain and cheaper on the parts, no dpf, no clutch, dual mass flywheel, no fuel filters, no injectors, no trouble. Consumption wise they will be very similar, 50-60mpg however if you do more town driving the hybrid will do better but even on motorways still be as good as diesel or even better. The only negative is the problem with catalytic converters theft, protecting the cat with plates and de badging the emblems plus some other tricks can help. I will never try another diesel Toyota except if it’s Land cruiser. 👍 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, when we talk about Toyota the engine choice of mine will be the hybrid one. Much better drive, more reliable, easier to maintain and cheaper on the parts, no dpf, no clutch, dual mass flywheel, no fuel filters, no injectors, no trouble. Consumption wise they will be very similar, 50-60mpg however if you do more town driving the hybrid will do better but even on motorways still be as good as diesel or even better. The only negative is the problem with catalytic converters theft, protecting the cat with plates and de badging the emblems plus some other tricks can help. I will never try another diesel Toyota except if it’s Land cruiser. 👍 

I was leaning towards a hybrid myself too, but their unimpressive mpg got me thinking on the diesel. Any idea if the 1.4 D4D comes close to the stated figures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had diesel for a very short period of time and mpg was less than 50, hybrid driving since 2013 and mpg is always over 50 and in summer goes up to 60mpg, mostly motorway driving. Diesel might make sense of heavily discounted, £3-5k less than a hybrid and if you enjoy driving manual car. Best is to test drive them both, start with the diesel as if you drive the hybrid first you may not going to try the diesel one.🙂👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hybrid for me too.

Have a 2015 Auris TS. Mpg seems to average around 55mpg at the moment. Depends on weather and wind, temperature. Definitely good mpg.

Had a new 2007 Toyota Corolla hatchback 1.4D4D and it was economical but around 50mpg.  89bhp.

Always fancied the late 90's early 2000's Landcruiser Colorado VX model or Amazon! Preferably petrol/LPG.

James.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 1.4 turbo diesel 6 gear in 60 plate Yaris and loved the car. Would do low 60’s on average, but presume Auris body is heavier so the reports of in the 50’s would be real. Wife had same engined Yaris but 59 plate 5 gear, not as nice to drive, and slightly lower mpg.                    
We both now have hybrids, the wife 2010 Auris doing low 60’s in summer, about 8mpg less in winter. I have a Gen4 Prius which can often do mid 80’s in summer (best was 96 mpg over 50 miles), very often 70’s, dropping to mid 60’s in winter.    
The Toyota hybrids with e-cvt is so relaxing to drive you need to test to believe. I would never go back to a diesel again. why? We all know they pollute the atmosphere, that’s why they becoming unpopular and as time goes on resale value will drop big time. Big thing with me though is knowing as I drive along in the hybrid is I can go past schools, particularly junior schools, when kids are out playing knowing they not breathing in harmful exhaust fumes. I can, majority of times, get the hybrid to run on Battery as I go past.  To me, it’s a great feeling. Obviously the harmful effects would be less if I was on a bicycle, but those days for me are gone. 😀

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the first lockdown I bought myself an  e scooter and ever since if the weather is dry I go out on it everywhere, shopping, to the park, it’s just replaces my car, no pollution, no traffic, no need a 1.5 tons of metal to carry me around, it’s just amazing toy, sadly not legal yet but I am riding it anyway. Hybrids are the only sensible choice now even in used car market, small petrol is ok too. Diesels only if you need a very large car or pickup track, big van or lorry. 👍 I always believe in that and never used diesels as much as other people. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Catlover said:

I had a 1.4 turbo diesel 6 gear in 60 plate Yaris and loved the car. Would do low 60’s on average, but presume Auris body is heavier so the reports of in the 50’s would be real. Wife had same engined Yaris but 59 plate 5 gear, not as nice to drive, and slightly lower mpg.                    
We both now have hybrids, the wife 2010 Auris doing low 60’s in summer, about 8mpg less in winter. I have a Gen4 Prius which can often do mid 80’s in summer (best was 96 mpg over 50 miles), very often 70’s, dropping to mid 60’s in winter.    
The Toyota hybrids with e-cvt is so relaxing to drive you need to test to believe. I would never go back to a diesel again. why? We all know they pollute the atmosphere, that’s why they becoming unpopular and as time goes on resale value will drop big time. Big thing with me though is knowing as I drive along in the hybrid is I can go past schools, particularly junior schools, when kids are out playing knowing they not breathing in harmful exhaust fumes. I can, majority of times, get the hybrid to run on battery as I go past.  To me, it’s a great feeling. Obviously the harmful effects would be less if I was on a bicycle, but those days for me are gone. 😀

Joe you are not too old to ride a bike, unless you have a physical issue. I am a lot older the some people think, and still ride around. 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

During the first lockdown I bought myself an  e scooter and ever since if the weather is dry I go out on it everywhere, shopping, to the park, it’s just replaces my car, no pollution, no traffic, no need a 1.5 tons of metal to carry me around, it’s just amazing toy, sadly not legal yet but I am riding it anyway. Hybrids are the only sensible choice now even in used car market, small petrol is ok too. Diesels only if you need a very large car or pickup track, big van or lorry. 👍 I always believe in that and never used diesels as much as other people. 

I would go Hybrid too! I have never owned diesel, though I have driven a few. Funny thing is that I cycle a bit too. I sometimes carry an adult kick scooter, and/or my Dahon Cadenza light weight folding bike with 16 gears (road gearing) and 26" wheels, in the boot for when I go places. My form of park and ride. Since I live in Greater London - South East London close to Kent, the proposed ULEZ will be starting next year. Diesels unless Euro 6 will have to pay. Also the councils are blocking roads with low traffic neighbourhoods.
Lots of Escooters around, even though most are probably illegal. E-bikes are popular too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like there are a lot of hybrid owners here. If I were to buy a diesel I'd be going for a facelift ULEZ compliant one. 

What's putting me off the hybrid at the moment is the much higher price and higher mileage compared to a diesel. 

What are the service intervals/cost of the hybrid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Konrad, I am 73 now but back in 2014 I bought a used bike off fleabay. In my teens I used to race cycles so used to cycling.

14 minutes ago, x110 said:

Seems like there are a lot of hybrid owners here. If I were to buy a diesel I'd be going for a facelift ULEZ compliant one. 

What's putting me off the hybrid at the moment is the much higher price and higher mileage compared to a diesel. 

What are the service intervals/cost of the hybrid?

High mileage cars will probably be reps or taxis, move on, pay a bit more for alow mileage model. However, dont forget a hybrid runs on Battery a lot of the time, mine is about 50%, so the engine has only revolved for hals the mileage on the clock. Remember also a hybrid will and does hold its price. We had the Auris Hybrid 3 years now and I still see adverts for similar age with similar mileage at little moree then I paid for it 3 years ago. Diesel prices are dropping like a stone, hybrids are wanted so command a higher purchase priice, burt also a higher selling price.

Service of Totota vehicles are 10,000 miles or annually, whichever comes sooner.

Look for a complete service schedule at main dealer, and the hybrid Battery will have been tested annually too, and with it a firether 12 month warranty on hybrid Battery.....m up to 15 years. Match that any where.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Konrad, I am 73 now. Back in my youth I was a very keen cyclist. In 2013 I bought a used cycle because I live on the edge of lovely countryside so thought I would enjoy it at a slower pace. I also live next to a main A road, at the bottom of a hill with a 50 speed limit - but not a lot adhere to that. As I went out on my bike, dodging potholes and grids with vehicles wizzing past at more the 50 very often, it put the wind up in me. Iwas nervous, such that I was not enjoying it, so I gave up and sold the bike some time later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2017, 1.8 Hybrid Auris and am very happy with it.  Get around 55mpg from a mix of urban & motorway driving.  Nice smooth ride and plenty of power when needed. No way would I now choose diesel.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 1.4 d4d Auris estate and a Yaris Hybrid . I use both to commute to work  2 days in each and one in my Panda 4x4  (39mpg) 😉

the commute is a 74 mile round trip with a mixture of motorway and urban roads it can be stop start at times . The Auris is showing a average of 61.4 mpg and the yaris is around 58 mpg but more summer . I prefer the Hybrid on the run to work due to  the Auto etc but the diesel pulls away better at speed .You will find that a diesel Auris is lot cheaper to buy than a Hybrid one

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, stevecrvn said:

IYou will find that a diesel Auris is lot cheaper to buy than a Hybrid one

Of course a diesel Auris is a lot cheaper to buy then a Hybrid one, they start off at different prices. The thing is, diesels are not holding their price whilst hybrids are. So you pay more for a hybrid when buying but you get more back when selling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Of course a diesel Auris is a lot cheaper to buy then a Hybrid one, they start off at different prices. The thing is, diesels are not holding their price whilst hybrids are. So you pay more for a hybrid when buying but you get more back when selling.

That is why I paid 3k more for the yaris than the Auris . Cant tow a trailer with the Yaris though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Of course a diesel Auris is a lot cheaper to buy then a Hybrid one, they start off at different prices. The thing is, diesels are not holding their price whilst hybrids are. So you pay more for a hybrid when buying but you get more back when selling.

But they're not new anymore. Paying 2-2.5k extra for a hybrid of the same year/mileage seems unreasonable for me at least for the moment.

 

1 hour ago, stevecrvn said:

I have a 1.4 d4d Auris estate and a Yaris Hybrid . I use both to commute to work  2 days in each and one in my Panda 4x4  (39mpg) 😉

the commute is a 74 mile round trip with a mixture of motorway and urban roads it can be stop start at times . The Auris is showing a average of 61.4 mpg and the yaris is around 58 mpg but more summer . I prefer the Hybrid on the run to work due to  the Auto etc but the diesel pulls away better at speed .You will find that a diesel Auris is lot cheaper to buy than a Hybrid one

Seems the diesel isn't that far off the official figures. Will make a nice difference from my 37mpg Corolla ✌️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a big old smelly diesel, I'm going to keep it for as long as possible. 

It goes like poo off a shovel, pulls like a train and returns what I think is a decent MPG.

It's not hemorrhaging money all over my driveway either.

The most unenvironmentally friendly thing I could do would be to trade it in for a new "greener" car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stivino said:

I've got a big old smelly diesel, I'm going to keep it for as long as possible. 

It goes like poo off a shovel, pulls like a train and returns what I think is a decent MPG.

It's not hemorrhaging money all over my driveway either.

The most unenvironmentally friendly thing I could do would be to trade it in for a new "greener" car.

Very true mate, lots of people don't realise that using an old car for as long as possible is much greener than buying a new "green" car.

I would much prefer to keep using my old corolla, but with the mileage I do it makes more sense to get something better on fuel.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right guys , keep your car as long as you can is the best. If you have a diesel car just drive it until they get banned from the roads. If you are buying now a car that cost up to £5k buy whatever you like but buying a car over that money and especially over £10k I wouldn’t touch a diesel car, if the Auris diesel is £4500 and then hybrid is £8500 then ok but if the diesel is £10 and the hybrid is £14 I will go for the hybrid for sure. Even though with similar efficiency after 3 years of ownership the hybrid will hold some value and the diesel will worth noting, they may well get restricted been driven in big cities. One more thing, hybrids are so much better to drive that only that alone makes the diesels obsolete., and here is why Toyota does not offer some new cars with other then hybrid drive train. The diesels were yesterday, today’s are the hybrids and even their days are numbered, full ev and hydrogen cars are coming sooner than ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

You are right guys , keep your car as long as you can is the best. If you have a diesel car just drive it until they get banned from the roads. If you are buying now a car that cost up to £5k buy whatever you like but buying a car over that money and especially over £10k I wouldn’t touch a diesel car, if the Auris diesel is £4500 and then hybrid is £8500 then ok but if the diesel is £10 and the hybrid is £14 I will go for the hybrid for sure. Even though with similar efficiency after 3 years of ownership the hybrid will hold some value and the diesel will worth noting, they may well get restricted been driven in big cities. One more thing, hybrids are so much better to drive that only that alone makes the diesels obsolete., and here is why Toyota does not offer some new cars with other then hybrid drive train. The diesels were yesterday, today’s are the hybrids and even their days are numbered, full ev and hydrogen cars are coming sooner than ever. 

Like I mentioned, the hybrids do command around 2k+ on top of the diesels of the same condition from atleast what I've seen, if they were priced simillar I'd go with the hybrid. The price difference is what's causing me a headache. Since the alternative is a 2015+ auris, they are Euro 6 so they shouldn't be banned in the cities any time soon. I've driven an auris TS hybrid back when they came out, as well as a CT200h, they're nice cars inside and out, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're better in some way in terms of driving. The reason Toyota don't offer diesels is because they went all out on hybrids a long time ago, and their diesels never were great. The old ones - yes, incredibly strong and durable, but lack power and efficiency. The newer ones can't really keep up with the competition. Will be interesting to see if hydrogen catches on more, everyone driving full EVs is a fairytale that's a long way away in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is interesting thing, that could also change again and some people may find themselves badly surprised. £2000 difference between hybrid and diesel is not significant., and again if you had tried a Toyota hybrid and didn’t  like it how it drives  then just go for a diesel., I was sceptical first about the hybrids but since I tried them once I don’t want to change to another automatic or manual car unless full EV. Manual only if it’s something like the new Yaris GR or Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. My shortest ownership of any cars and I had a lot was  Auris 1.4 diesel, the engine itself wasn’t the only reason I did not like it, but wasn’t the thing to make me keep the car either, prior to that one  I had same year Polo diesel, Focus diesel, 308 diesel all 3 were better diesels than the Auris. 

https://apple.news/APW7owKNZSFK0D9w4nWo4lQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 5:56 PM, Catlover said:

Konrad, I am 73 now. Back in my youth I was a very keen cyclist. In 2013 I bought a used cycle because I live on the edge of lovely countryside so thought I would enjoy it at a slower pace. I also live next to a main A road, at the bottom of a hill with a 50 speed limit - but not a lot adhere to that. As I went out on my bike, dodging potholes and grids with vehicles wizzing past at more the 50 very often, it put the wind up in me. Iwas nervous, such that I was not enjoying it, so I gave up and sold the bike some time later.

Don't worry about your age. Sad there are no safe cycle routes where you live. I am lucky and have loads of cycle routes, that keep me away from traffic. I can ride to the centre of London with minimum conflict with traffic, especially close to the river Thames, from Belvedere. In recent months I am doing between 217 - 254 miles a month. nearly as much as my car. 
Be safe and well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this