Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Gauge and Reverse gear issues

Pmax

Hi All

We have owned our 2015 Aygo for 2 months now and love it.

Although I have noticed that getting into reverse gear can be difficult sometimes, probably more so when it is cold, is this a common issue?

Also we have noticed that after my daughter put some fuel in, the gauge went from empty to 2 bars but is saying there is only 8 miles left. Is there any way of resetting it?

I just wanted to ask these questions before I get in touch with the garage.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

How much fuel did your daughter put in? If less than 15 litres, false readings can occur.

To be honest I think was less than 15 litres. Should you rely on the bars than the numbers?

what are your thoughts on the reverse gear issue?

Reverse - make sure the mat hasn't slid up behind the clutch pedal, does it go in gear with the engine off ? What car did you last have ? Is reverse in the same place and method ?

Is it just hard to get in or does it grind ?

This car replaced a 2007 Mini One and it is a different method to that car.  Sometimes when you try to put it in reverse, the reversing camera comes on and when you release the clutch the car doesn't move. I've not noticed it grind or crunch but maybe I have reacting pressing the clutch back in to prevent it.

I've noticed it is harder when you first start the car up from cold because when the car has been running it does seem a lot easier.  Is this quite normal for this car?

It doesn't happen all the time, I am just wanting to see if this just something that is common and nothing to worry about or if it's something that is likely to get worse quickly and I need to speak to the garage where I bought it from and try and get them to fix it before my warranty runs out.

Thank you for coming back to me and I appreciate any further advices.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:27 PM, flash22 said:

Reverse - make sure the mat hasn't slid up behind the clutch pedal, does it go in gear with the engine off ? What car did you last have ? Is reverse in the same place and method ?

It goes into gear with engine off. I did use the clutch pressed in. Is that correct?

On 11/18/2020 at 4:27 PM, flash22 said:

It did go into gear with engine off and clutch pressed in

Sometimes I get a similar issue with the reverse. I find taking it out of gear, pumping the clutch up and down a couple of times, then re-engaging reverse, solves the problem.

Reverse gear has sometimes been difficult to engage on every FWD car I've owned over the last 44 years, remember that reverse usually doesn't have synchromesh and that you are having to engage extra gears compared to any other gear (an extra shaft has to be engaged to reverse the direction of rotation).

I've always found that pressing the clutch and reengaging reverse again works.

Ours is previous gen car 2008, but ours does this every so often, well more so than other cars we've owned, but I just accepted it as a 'feature' of the car. As said a clutch pump or quick engage 1st gear always sorted it for me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links