Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 2020 niggles

Luke717

1 hour ago, Luke717 said:

I think you're right, TIM - sidelights is the only way to not have the headlights on. There is no 'off' switch.

I've not noticed any issues with the lights in auto myself. The only issue I have with the lights is the main beam activation, or more specifically de-activation which seems tardy.

One niggle I noticed again this morning though is that you can't have the rear fog lights on without the front ones.

• Like 1

This isn't a problem with the Icon Tech!

Found a new one, no screenwash warning,  now that is a bit odd on a car costing 34,000, add in the 1970's bonnet stay..very odd 🤣

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, frizzbee30 said:

Found a new one, no screenwash warning,  now that is a bit odd on a car costing 34,000, add in the 1970's bonnet stay..very odd 🤣

Yup, I had the same problem with my Hondas. The last car I owned that had a screen washer warning was a Nissan Almera back in the last century :(

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 10:13 AM, AndrueC said:

One niggle I noticed again this morning though is that you can't have the rear fog lights on without the front ones

There is a topic in the Yaris club which highlights that the 3rd generation Yaris is the same. Also both our 2015 and 2020 i20's have similar - so it isn't just Toyota.

• Like 2

Re Luke 717 (Nov 24), I understand your niggle. Many years ago I ran a Vauxhall Astra Estate, when the tailgate was open and it was raining the water would collect above the number plate where the bulb(s) sit. When the tailgate was closing you had to be very fast on your feet, an absolute avalanche of water would be shot out directly at your head (if you were about 5ft 6in tall.. Sometimes I escaped and sometimes I received a soaking (hightly amusing for bystanders...lol!) Ever since then I have been happy for just a small niggle with respect to this and save my shower for the bathroom...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WalnutinUK said:

...When the tailgate was closing you had to be very fast on your feet, an absolute avalanche of water would be shot out directly at your head (if you were about 5ft 6in tall.

Yes, that happens - and I'm 6' 2" 😄

• Haha 1

One niggle I noticed again this morning though is that you can't have the rear fog lights on without the front ones.

I prefer to see cars coming towards me in poor visibility, not just the ones I'm driving behind, so happy to put both on.  My pet hate is people oblivious to the fact they have left them on when not required. or those that don't show any lights whatsoever in fading/inclement weather.  Be safe, be seen😀

• Like 2

Does the corolla side windows, when you wind them down clear the rain droplets off the glass? By the outside door top trim inner rubber?

It irritates me in my 2015 Auris until the water drops clear a bit when driving. I use my hand to remove when first driving or wind window down.

James.:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, WalnutinUK said:

Re Luke 717 (Nov 24), I understand your niggle. Many years ago I ran a Vauxhall Astra Estate, when the tailgate was open and it was raining the water would collect above the number plate where the bulb(s) sit. When the tailgate was closing you had to be very fast on your feet, an absolute avalanche of water would be shot out directly at your head (if you were about 5ft 6in tall.. Sometimes I escaped and sometimes I received a soaking (hightly amusing for bystanders...lol!) Ever since then I have been happy for just a small niggle with respect to this and save my shower for the bathroom...

One of my Hondas had door handles that collected water. Not in a bad 'inside the panels' way but in an annoying 'you're going to get wet hands' way. Quite how they managed to engineer handles that collected water despite being essentially upside down cups I don't know :-/

I think it was the same vehicle that moved the window rubber out when the windows came down so didn't scrub the water off :(

• Like 2

All manufacturers design teams seems like overcrowded with useless people that have no idea what a car should be , should look and should work. Surprisingly Toyota has one of the best looking new models on the market plus they are not that bad in terms of functionality and simplicity. , and these two are the keys to best designs ever. 👍 

This time of year mine seems to have a fair amount of foggy windows inside in the morning.  It has not got wet on the inside (leaving a window open when raining etc), other makes I have owned have not fogged up as much, anyone else had this?

19 minutes ago, Sidrat said:

This time of year mine seems to have a fair amount of foggy windows inside in the morning.  It has not got wet on the inside (leaving a window open when raining etc), other makes I have owned have not fogged up as much, anyone else had this?

Haven't noticed. My last car made me chuckle. In cold weather the climate control system would automatically direct air flow to the windscreen on start, which is sensible to help with defrosting. Except that it stopped after thirty seconds so was useless.

27 minutes ago, Sidrat said:

First job on every new/different/borrowed car (second is balance the stereo fade controls, left of centre, just behind my seat):  Open both side vents and point towards side windows.  House rules: Don't touch my vent positions, don't close them, keep your greasy mits off interior windscreen and windows!  

• Like 1

RE Sidrat: Not sure if this will help but worth checking. My last car was an Auris and I had a similar problem, it was well documented on the Auris forum here. Water was getting inside the back of the car and slopping about in the spare wheel well causing serious fogging, it came in past the seal (in my case the nearside) of the rear light cluster. Maybe I damaged the seal with a power washer or maybe just a faulty design. The costly cure would have been to replace the faulty seal (the proper way) or the more practical (and cheaper) remedy a bath or similar sealant around the seal. This may be totally irrelevant but certainly worth having a quick look in the well, drainage was simple in the Auris, just pull out the rubber bung (I believe this issue is not just relevant to Toyota..).

• Like 2

I've not noticed any issues with the lights in auto myself. The only issue I have with the lights is the main beam activation, or more specifically de-activation which seems tardy.

It is days like today when the light is bad. This week, approaching Farthinghoe tip, when the car points down to the tip entrance through the trees, the lights came on. As I went up the hill towards the village just past the tip entrance, they went off. My luck would be some loopy will pull out of the tip entrance thinking I am flashing him out! Just gives me a bit of added stress! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmon said:

It is days like today when the light is bad. This week, approaching Farthinghoe tip, when the car points down to the tip entrance through the trees, the lights came on. As I went up the hill towards the village just past the tip entrance, they went off. My luck would be some loopy will pull out of the tip entrance thinking I am flashing him out! Just gives me a bit of added stress! 

And sadly none of the Farthinghoe bypass proposals avoids the tip. To my mind the best place for the road to rejoin would be after all the bends. Oh well. The way it's going it'll be several more years yet anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The main niggle that I have is that the audible warnings are not as loud as my previous Auris Sports Tourer.

The front sensors are much louder than the rear, the speed camera warning and lane departure warnings are barely audible with the radio level at 25.

Anyone else noticed this?

"Niggles; I have a few"

1) Audible beep warnings TOO LOUD eg I regularly drive under a motorway and every time in the same place I get a loud speed camera alert for a speed camera 1100 yards away (!!) on the motorway above, in the opposite direction. The setting to switch this off appears greyed out and so I cant turn it off. Same for unclipped in seatbelts, or if the road is icy - it's too sharp and loud. 

2) Bucket seats - I like them once seated into them, but my pregnant wife simply cannot get in and out of the passenger seat without help and frankly she struggled before. She now sits in the back. I find the bucket seats hard to get in and out of and I'm a slim, spritely and fit young(ish) person! As a result, my foot keeps scuffing the plastic trim as I get in and out and it already looks scruffy. My dad (elderly) finds them impossible to get in and out of without complete help from me and again he's not an invalid despite his age.

3) Headroom. I am 6' tall and my hair brushes against the car roof. I have lowered the seat as much as is comfortable (which makes ingress and egress that much harder) but now I am lower down behind the wheel/dash. It's a surprisingly low car, actually. 

4) Position of window controls is where I grab when egressing the car meaning on several occasions I have unwittingly pressed the button and slighly lowered either the front or rear passenger side window, and only discovered this the next day when the motorway seemed excessively noisy. Thankfully no water ingress yet. Now i'm aware of this, I'm more careful to check this when leaving. It's happened about 6 times in 2-3 weeks now.

More to follow when I think of them!

PS overall I still love the car!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AKLZ said:

"Niggles; I have a few"

1) Audible beep warnings TOO LOUD eg I regularly drive under a motorway and every time in the same place I get a loud speed camera alert for a speed camera 1100 yards away (!!) on the motorway above, in the opposite direction. The setting to switch this off appears greyed out and so I cant turn it off. Same for unclipped in seatbelts, or if the road is icy - it's too sharp and loud. 

2) Bucket seats - I like them once seated into them, but my pregnant wife simply cannot get in and out of the passenger seat without help and frankly she struggled before. She now sits in the back. I find the bucket seats hard to get in and out of and I'm a slim, spritely and fit young(ish) person! As a result, my foot keeps scuffing the plastic trim as I get in and out and it already looks scruffy. My dad (elderly) finds them impossible to get in and out of without complete help from me and again he's not an invalid despite his age.

3) Headroom. I am 6' tall and my hair brushes against the car roof. I have lowered the seat as much as is comfortable (which makes ingress and egress that much harder) but now I am lower down behind the wheel/dash. It's a surprisingly low car, actually. 

4) Position of window controls is where I grab when egressing the car meaning on several occasions I have unwittingly pressed the button and slighly lowered either the front or rear passenger side window, and only discovered this the next day when the motorway seemed excessively noisy. Thankfully no water ingress yet. Now i'm aware of this, I'm more careful to check this when leaving. It's happened about 6 times in 2-3 weeks now.

More to follow when I think of them!

PS overall I still love the car!

Well done finding a real niggles worth talking about, thanks for sharing about the bucket seats too, I only tried once an excel trim and liked a lot but immediately noticed the same, which putting me off buying exactly this spec Corolla even though I believe is best choice as it’s fully loaded, the seats for me are of greater importance, 12+ hrs work with the car and few naps during each shift inside the car this bucket seats are full stop for me. Definitely getting Design trim in saloon or estate or trek version., perhaps will suits me the best, GR and Excel been always my favourite before., only wheels size was bothering me, now I have new wheels ready bought 😂 before even the car but the seats ...., the leg room on the hatchback variant is the biggest let down and the dark roof lining IMO. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Just about to get delivery of my Excel. One niggle that the Dealer was not sure about - Is there a visible speed limit shown on the multimedia navigation screen or does one have to rely on the speed sign indicator between the speedo and rev counter?  The dealer thinks the only way to get that speed limit indicator ( like on the Auris) is to plug in Apple play or another smartphone app.

19 minutes ago, GodfreyD said:

Just about to get delivery of my Excel. One niggle that the Dealer was not sure about - Is there a visible speed limit shown on the multimedia navigation screen or does one have to rely on the speed sign indicator between the speedo and rev counter?  The dealer thinks the only way to get that speed limit indicator ( like on the Auris) is to plug in apple play or another smartphone app.

Only had mine 3 days but pretty sure its only between clocks, saying that I find it quite noticeable especially when it turns Red. But, and I was warned about this, it aint always right. Ive been in a few 30's and its telling me its 20, but more concerning is there is one 20 limit near me and it thinks its 30, so, dont take it as Gospel. I have a Garmin Sat Nag on my Motorcycle and it also doesnt always get speed limits correct

Drivers Door open constant beeping, I have it open when vacuuming the drivers side using 12v socket . Can’t select  audio on infotainment to connect when reversing. 

15 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

Drivers Door open constant beeping, I have it open when vacuuming the drivers side using 12v socket . Can’t select  audio on infotainment to connect when reversing. 

That's interesting because when I use the 12 socket to power my tyre compressor unit the door is open and I don't get beeping.Vehicle is in ready mode by the way. I think the fact you can't select audio when reversing is a safety feature so the the rear camera view overrides any other viewing mode on the infotainmment screen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

Maybe you're got your key in your pocket?  If so try leaving it in the cup holder as it gives a warning if the key is too far away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1