Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Auto LED light problem

Clive Lorton

Hi,

This is my first post here.  I apologise if the answer is elsewhere in the forum but I have failed to find it.

We have a 2016 Auris Hybrid brought from a main dealer with Auto LED headlights and have a problem with them.

In midwinter when all windscreens mist up on the inside, the sensor window mists and disables the headlight auto dipping function leaving the headlights on main beam, this can be after half an hour of driving.  The car does give a warning message but it is so fleeting that it's more of a distraction to driving than useful.  LED headlights on main beam are a danger dazzling oncoming traffic.

The car was recalled before we brought it (2018) and a heating element was fitted in the sensor window.  The dealer following Toyota guidelines says it's OK now although it did mist up on an earlier test drive by the service manager. 

The windscreen does seem to get warm but when the outside temperature is around zero I’m not sure it gets hot enough to stop the misting.

I have two questions: Has anyone else had this problem? And how hot to the touch does your sensor window get?

Thank you, Clive Lorton

Welcome to the owner's club!

Whilst you wait for an LED equipped Auris owner to report, an Auris with LED headlamps is really quite rare!  I have never spotted this problem being reported here on an Auris.

The Prius 4th generation (2016 - >) originally suffered from the same problem, if I remember correctly.  A heater element was fitted to the sensor window on owner's cars (later on) by the dealers.

There might be some information to be gleaned on this topic in the Prius section.

Moved to the Auris club.

If the car is misting try using your AC this will dehumidify the incoming/cabin air and drastically reduce the misting

Not had this problem. I've had the car a year, and it's garaged.

• 1 year later...

I also problems with the lights that I bought from the dealer. And I bought some simple lights that don't cost a lot and I have no problem with them.

Well all Cars with auto high beam have problem with the camera sensor due to misting of windscreen and it clears up after sometime due to rising inside temperature or after ac use. In that case while waiting for the mist to clear up turn headlight stick to lowbeam manually. After it clears up go to auto beam.

I'm not the only one with this problem at Toyota Auris. I also have an Auris Hybrid, but 2013. I also had problems with the headlights, which seemed strange to me. I also had an error in my car system, and the high beam was always on. I have often received a warning from the police. I went to a service where they helped me find my problem. There was a problem inside the car related to the LED bulbs, and I had to buy new bulbs for both the low beam and the high beam, and they fixed everything for me. And in the meantime, I browsed Amazon and found some car lights that they installed for me and made the inside of my car look fancier. My 2013 Toyota Auris looks beautiful with these lights. I recommend you go to service as soon as possible to fix your car's problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m a 2016 Auris Excel hybrid hatchback owner and mine has the full LED headlight set. 😎

Mine doesn’t have auto high/low beam feature though.

As @Devon Aygo suggests, I’d echo that. Does your car have air con? Mine has full climate control. Keep the A/C on in winter and all that misting will disappear quick as a flash.