Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermediate Service vs. Hybrid Health Check

mrjoeblack

Hi, I'm in the process of buying a used Corolla TS from a major Toyota dealer based in Northern Ireland.
As part of the deal, they agreed to carry out an intermediate service to the car prior to the delivery (the car is made in 2020 and has just passed its 10,000 mileage mark).

I registered the car on MyToyota yesterday, and, from there under the vehicle's "service history", I found out that the "service" is actually logged as "Hybrid Health check".
So I reached out to them via email, and the sales person got back and showed me the following screenshot (I redacted some irrelevant details), which did show
   "Carry Out 10,000 mile service", as is highlighted in the red square,
image.thumb.png.cf3fb6f5cf9601ce3c642d8b250f6693.png
and they tried to reassure me that the service had indeed been completed.

Naturally, I asked if they could then just update the record in their system, so MyToyota can correctly show it as a normal service.
However, they said they were unable to change what the system populates, but they would send me the invoice as well as have the service book stamped accordingly.

So, do you find this dodgy? Or are you convinced that this might indeed just be an honest mistake, and there's really nothing to see here?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Until fairly recently the Hybrid Health Check (HHC) could be done separately to a service - for example for cars outside the new car warranty one could have a service done outside the dealer network, and then pay for an HHC to extend the hybrid Battery warranty. 

However, earlier this year Toyota incorporated the HHC into the service and renamed the service Hybrid Electric Service, and the HHC is no longer available as a standalone check.

I suspect that the service is logged as a Hybrid Electric Service. 

In the UK, for cars sold originally by Toyota GB and under five years of age, the hybrid Battery is covered by the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty. After the new car warranty has expired, each Hybrid Electric Service will extend the hybrid Battery warranty by 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and the hybrid battery warranty may be thus extended up to the vehicle's 15th birthday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi the intermediate service is 10,000 miles the Hybrid health check is done as well at the same time at no extra cost .If you need to change anything on the Toyota Portal you have to contact them provide proof of the error and after a few weeks they will change any incorrect information on the site .I have had to do this on every service for incorrect mileages/service information and recall work done .

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Until fairly recently the Hybrid Health Check (HHC) could be done separately to a service - for example for cars outside the new car warranty one could have a service done outside the dealer network, and then pay for an HHC to extend the hybrid battery warranty. 

However, earlier this year Toyota incorporated the HHC into the service and renamed the service Hybrid Electric Service, and the HHC is no longer available as a standalone check.

I suspect that the service is logged as a Hybrid Electric Service. 

In the UK, for cars sold originally by Toyota GB and under five years of age, the hybrid battery is covered by the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty. After the new car warranty has expired, each Hybrid Electric Service will extend the hybrid battery warranty by 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and the hybrid battery warranty may be thus extended up to the vehicle's 15th birthday.

I see! That's some good background for me 😀

I think in my case, the main practical difference might just be that in one case (when it's correctly logged as HES) I'd have a proper service record, whereas in the other (when it's logged as HHC), the car might look like it's missing its 1st service? Or would the stamp on the service book suffice for that purpose?

I would say the service book info would suffice, as when part exchanging a car now, due to data protection, all the accepting dealer would be interested in is the service book being stamped and up to date. Having said that, it would do no harm to contact the Toyota Portal to ask for the entry to be updated. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ian rooke said:

Hi the intermediate service is 10,000 miles the Hybrid health check is done as well at the same time at no extra cost .If you need to change anything on the Toyota Portal you have to contact them provide proof of the error and after a few weeks they will change any incorrect information on the site .I have had to do this on every service for incorrect mileages/service information and recall work done .

Oh my :surprise:... I thought the Toyota Portal should be the official source of truth when it comes to such information!
Did you ever try asking the garage/dealer to correct it for you instead, as I'd guess they are who actually submit such information onto the portal?

Good point about contacting the Toyota Portal instead to have it updated! I'll look into that 🙂

Hi I did as the dealer every time they made a mistake on the portal (one time the car had 1500 miles less than the year before )each time they said they could not alter what was on the portal and it was up to me to do it so they were very unhelpful it seemed to me if the portal was wrong so often what was the point of having it . 

• Sad 1

Mine says the same, seems quite normal. 1st service is mainly just an oil change and check around. The Battery check is pretty important in my view, for a Hybrid.

image.thumb.png.d46d354ed57ed920c01cc25f76f4d8c0.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tim. What I saw was different as there was no "Maintenance" record as shown in your screenshot - I only saw the HHC record.

But I don't know whether it's just a delay or if the dealer has corrected anything for me, coz when I checked it again just now, I actually saw a new "Maintenance" record with detail "Carry Out 10,000 mile service", so looks like it's been resolved! 😃

• Like 1