Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New whining noise

donkeychomp

My 1.0 vvti had a knackered clutch release bearing when I bought it, and that makes a noise sometimes but today a whole new one! Clutch pressed in, all fine, release it and drive off the whine starts and gets louder the faster I go. The noise goes away completely when I depress the clutch pedal or I'm sitting in neutral. Could this be a gearbox issue (box seems fine to me) or maybe the water pump?

I hope someone has an idea and that it won't cost the earth to fix!

3 hours ago, donkeychomp said:

My 1.0 vvti had a knackered clutch release bearing when I bought it, and that makes a noise sometimes but today a whole new one! Clutch pressed in, all fine, release it and drive off the whine starts and gets louder the faster I go. The noise goes away completely when I depress the clutch pedal or I'm sitting in neutral. Could this be a gearbox issue (box seems fine to me) or maybe the water pump?

I hope someone has an idea and that it won't cost the earth to fix!

Could be your release bearing has gotten worse, I think you’ve answered your own question.

Classic release bearing.

FUBAR.

Next stage is a bang! and no drive.

If you're doing the bearing, you might as well do the clutch as you have to drop the box anyway

So it's a bit of doom and gloom then. I can do most things but not a clutch. They seem cheap enough for the kit but gawd knows how much to get one fitted. Might be cheaper to get another car!

Approx. 4 hrs labour (give or take) @ £40 + vat/hour independent garage here in Yorkshire. (Much more in London I'm guessing.)

If the car's been reliable and it has plenty of life left in it then why not, only you know if its worth it. 

£40 an hour, lol - minimum is £65, average is £80, main stealer £110 - 180 an hour

Make a few phone calls to your local places

its common sense and can be Done at home, It will take you a weekend to do it, taking your time

A workshop that's thats up to speed will get done in 2 hours, but you will get charged for the book time

I like my Yaris. Don't know about everyone else but I form a bit of an emotional attachment to my bikes and cars! Did a bit of ringing around and best price is £360 including parts labour and VAT. She goes under the knife, sorry, spanner, on Wednesday.

• Like 2

That's a fair price £100-£150 in parts £200-260 in labour,

Never buy a VW with a DSG, Dual mass flywheel and clutch £1800 at a main stealer

That's a fair price £100-£150 in parts £200-260 in labour,

Never buy a VW with a DSG, Dual mass flywheel and clutch £1800 at a main stealer
More like £3000, my friend was quoted this for his A3

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, donkeychomp said:

She goes under the knife,on Wednesday.

Have you considered advertising it here, first?

12 hours ago, 2toyos said:

More like £3000, my friend was quoted this for his A3

Audi is all sorts of special tho, even tho the A3 is just a golf in frock

Tell me about it, i do know the VW group don't even attempt to repair the DSG box as its too complicated, so they replace at your expense

Hate to throw a spanner in the works but from my knowledge (been messing with cars for 50 years) a noisy release bearing makes the noise when engaged as thats when it's internal is spinning grinding its damaged bearings. When released, it 'idles', so if you are experiencing noise when the clutch is released, I would suspect something else. When you press the clutch, disengaging the drive forces from the gearbox, it is effectively driven from the final drive i.e. the other end, when you then engage the clutch, drive enters the box from the input shaft, as the noise occurs when the drive is engaged I would suspect the gearbox rather than the clutch. If the noise increases with the speed of the engine, increasing then reducing when changing gear and increasing again, then I suspect input shaft bearing. If on the other hand if it increases with the speed of the car and stays constant whatever the engine speed is, could be something else. You need to get it checked before just asking for a clutch change as the expensive part is the removal of the gearbox for access. In my experience the bearing has a longer service life than the clutch itself.

• Like 1

It's a typical clutch design eg. a bearing clipped to a clutch fork, either way the box needs to come out to be inspected, if it's the gearbox issue or not you might as well do the clutch, a used box will be a few hundred

i have had whining from the gearbox that's turned out to be the pressure plate and a shagged bearing

It may also be diff whine, I'm sure the garage will take it for a spin and drop the oil out of the box

5 hours ago, scannerman said:

Hate to throw a spanner in the works but from my knowledge (been messing with cars for 50 years) a noisy release bearing makes the noise when engaged as thats when it's internal is spinning grinding its damaged bearings. When released, it 'idles', so if you are experiencing noise when the clutch is released, I would suspect something else. When you press the clutch, disengaging the drive forces from the gearbox, it is effectively driven from the final drive i.e. the other end, when you then engage the clutch, drive enters the box from the input shaft, as the noise occurs when the drive is engaged I would suspect the gearbox rather than the clutch. If the noise increases with the speed of the engine, increasing then reducing when changing gear and increasing again, then I suspect input shaft bearing. If on the other hand if it increases with the speed of the car and stays constant whatever the engine speed is, could be something else. You need to get it checked before just asking for a clutch change as the expensive part is the removal of the gearbox for access. In my experience the bearing has a longer service life than the clutch itself.

I agree. Unlikely to be clutch or input shaft. If the whine is road-speed related then output shaft, diff or possibly even wheel bearing. Needs proper diagnosis before diving into a clutch change.

It needs a new clutch regardless but before they start I'll ask them to take it for a spin and see what they say. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Bit of relief here. New clutch is in and no more release bearing death rattle. The whining problem turns out to be the alternator. Easy enough and I will order one!