Do Not Sell My Personal Information

end of the line

charente

Hi all, this is an urgent call for a part. I have to pass the M.O.T. here in France to save my trusty 1996 Carina E estate from being scrapped. The brake pressure regulator (part no. 4790020110 OEN) is no longer consistently giving the required pressures for the rear brakes on the M.O.T. rolling road test. I've searched high and low for new and used parts but no luck so far. Does anybody have one as per the photo, stashed away somewhere please? Thanks in advance.

BRAKE PRESSURE PROPTIONING VALVE 1.jpg

BRAKE PRESSURE PROPTIONING VALVE 2.jpg

Do you need the whole unit or just the valve ? Where did you get that number from ? is your car a wagon (estate) ?

hi my car is a 1996 Carina E GL16 valve estate - 'sportswagon' - if you like, with an auto box. I need everything that you see in the photo. The number came from 'euspares.co.uk' but when I called Toyota UK to see if it still available, they said the part no. was old and no longer used and anyway the part is no longer available. So a bit of a dead end I think, unless my continued searches in the U.K. and Europe discover one or folks such as yourself can help out - thanks.

i come up with 3 numbers

47900-20110

47900-20130

47900-20140

the cup and arm can be detached

Spray it down with brake clean and see if you can find where it's coming from

Many thanks for the numbers, I'll try them and see where I get to. I can't do the work for myself but I'll tell the garage to investigate separating the parts. They probably haven't already because I get around in a wheelchair and if they wreck the braking system completely them I'm knackered as I live in the countryside, so I'm in a difficult position. I think I'll get the car repaired eventually - somehow.

yeah, I checked out the prices but I think in this case if I can find one, I'll have to suck up the price, that's life, it's expensive - often!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 7:00 PM, flash22 said:

i come up with 3 numbers

47900-20110

47900-20130

47900-20140

the cup and arm can be detached

Spray it down with brake clean and see if you can find where it's coming from

Hi Bob, I haven't made any progress in finding this part, the problem is that I can't do the work for myself, I'm disabled and I'm just not physically able to do a big job like this. Do you know for sure that it can be disassembled and repaired?

PM me your vin and i will confirm the part number, i will see if i can locate one

Thanks Bob 

VIN NO. SB172SBK10E029305
ENGINE NO. 3S1972133

Built 11/1995 (UK), Model code - ST191R-BWPNKW

there are 2 listed

with ABS 47900-20060

Without ABS 47900-20110

That one is specific to the Carina E for a total of 8 months, the only option is to rebuild it, IF you can find someone

just my luck, I can ask the garage, if not I wonder if it is possible to use another part or if that part was used on another make of car.

or do you know of anywhere in the U.K. that could rebuild it?

this is the information that Toyota gave me today

47900-20060 VALVE ASSY, LOAD SENSING W/SPRING, With ABS
47900-20110 VALVE ASSY, LOAD SENSING W/SPRING

They pointed out that the part has been discontinued, a google search brings up parts, so the part numbers given to me are available. The trouble is that I searched on the given part numbers and none of the images that came up in the search closely resemble the photos that I have posted of the device fitted to my car. So I think finding someone to rebuild the part may be the solution but as moving anything between Britain and Europe remains unsure for the immediate future I may have to find someone here. I hope it is a part that is fitted to other cars.

Any ideas welcome please.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:38 AM, charente said:

is no longer consistently giving the required pressures for the rear brakes on the M.O.T.

Hi,

In your investigations to find a replacement part, have you discovered how the valve is activated by the suspension?

I'm just trying to work (perhaps just for myself!) what is meant to be connected to what, specifically the operating arm or cable.

In your photo of your car underside, there seems to be a large rubber boot with the word "AISIN" cast into it.  Out of that rubber boot comes a rod, (or is it a Bowden cable?  Like a handbrake cable?) that goes (not in the picture) to another attachment at the suspension axle end.

I can't remember exactly, from your other posts, if the rubber boot has been removed to examine what is happening underneath (corrosion and jamming?).

I'm wondering,...if the mechanism has a Bowden cable that has rusted, or a pivot that is corroded under the "AISIN" boot, then the assembly might be repairable with some attention, cleaning and greasing.  Although this is a repair that a garage might be reluctant to get involved with, because the challenge and uncertainty of a fix isn't one they would be happy with.

Just as a wild thought, in the UK, as you perhaps know, there are automotive technical colleges that exist to train technicians.  It is possible that the similar colleges that exist in France might be interested in this problem as a training exercise??  It would genuinely be good experience for the students, and I would expect it to be fixed to a good standard.

I was wondering if basically, the problem here, is not so different to stripping and lubricating, say, a defective (sticky) handbrake mechanism.

No disrespect is meant to service garages, but I would think that this sort of problem routinely involves fitting new parts, otherwise it's not a cost-effective undertaking.  But that doesn't mean some patience and attention from someone mechanically-minded wouldn't win the situation over.

Or has something corroded away to nothing on the mechanism?  

Best of luck!

Happy Christmas!

@GergIts a 2 valve body that links to a spring that is attached to the rear axle/beam the more weight you put in the car the valve opens to let more fluid pass to increase the braking force to the rear, in modern cars this is done by a full abs system

lspv.thumb.jpg.5ec12f8a7e794da44a2346c30af2261f.jpg

@charente

Built 11/1995 (UK), Model code - ST191R-BWPNKW

there are 2 listed

with ABS 47900-20060

Without ABS 47900-20110

That one is specific to the Carina E for a total of 8 months, the only option is to rebuild it, IF you can find someone

Part numbers are from the Toyota EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue) i have already cross-referenced them that's how i know it specific to the carina e for an 8-month period

The one on your car has a dual valve body the with 2 pipes in and 2 out, the non abs one may have a different size internal bores

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerg said:

Hi,

In your investigations to find a replacement part, have you discovered how the valve is activated by the suspension?

I'm just trying to work (perhaps just for myself!) what is meant to be connected to what, specifically the operating arm or cable.

In your photo of your car underside, there seems to be a large rubber boot with the word "AISIN" cast into it.  Out of that rubber boot comes a rod, (or is it a Bowden cable?  Like a handbrake cable?) that goes (not in the picture) to another attachment at the suspension axle end.

I can't remember exactly, from your other posts, if the rubber boot has been removed to examine what is happening underneath (corrosion and jamming?).

I'm wondering,...if the mechanism has a Bowden cable that has rusted, or a pivot that is corroded under the "AISIN" boot, then the assembly might be repairable with some attention, cleaning and greasing.  Although this is a repair that a garage might be reluctant to get involved with, because the challenge and uncertainty of a fix isn't one they would be happy with.

Just as a wild thought, in the UK, as you perhaps know, there are automotive technical colleges that exist to train technicians.  It is possible that the similar colleges that exist in France might be interested in this problem as a training exercise??  It would genuinely be good experience for the students, and I would expect it to be fixed to a good standard.

I was wondering if basically, the problem here, is not so different to stripping and lubricating, say, a defective (sticky) handbrake mechanism.

No disrespect is meant to service garages, but I would think that this sort of problem routinely involves fitting new parts, otherwise it's not a cost-effective undertaking.  But that doesn't mean some patience and attention from someone mechanically-minded wouldn't win the situation over.

Or has something corroded away to nothing on the mechanism?  

Best of luck!

Happy Christmas!

hey thanks for such a well thought out response, I'd do the work myself nut I don't have the physical capability to do it anymore, as you say, a mechanically minded individual could probably fix this quickly. I'll talk to my garage again and go from there, I've no intention of giving up. Merry Xmas to you and yours too.

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

@GergIts a 2 valve body that links to a spring that is attached to the rear axle/beam the more weight you put in the car the valve opens to let more fluid pass to increase the braking force to the rear, in modern cars this is done by a full abs system

lspv.thumb.jpg.5ec12f8a7e794da44a2346c30af2261f.jpg

@charente

Part numbers are from the Toyota EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue) i have already cross-referenced them that's how i know it specific to the carina e for an 8-month period

The one on your car has a dual valve body the with 2 pipes in and 2 out, the non abs one may have a different size internal bores

thanks all useful info, I'll study the diagram and maybe get back to you. And I figured that my model may have different specs to other models - not visibly obvious ones either.

I can't ascertain at the moment how the valve is operated by the suspension, I suspect it is as you say, like a primitive ABS. I've found this and there are a lot more like it.

https://toyotastock.com/valve-assy-load-sensing-w-spring-toyota-4790026550-56440234.html

That is purely a diagram of how the valve works not a picture of your one, I have looked for some time and have not come across one, yours has 2 valves and the mounting bolts are further apart

Thanks for that, Ill get back on this on Monday, if the Toyota garage is open, similar looking devices are for sale new online but verifying if they are the correct part or not will be difficult. Merry Xmas to all.