Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New and just bought an 2015 hybrid Yaris

jay_1

Hi 

Just want to say Hi and have a few questions about recent purchase I made on a 2015 Yaris at At 31k.

Last owner did last service 2 years ago local mechanic.  This year he only did 1k miles and told me that as I dont drive i have not service it but past mot 2 months ago.

When I went to see it he said he charged it up as it would not turn on. Also front 2 tyre flat a bit due to sitting. 

So first think I did 2 days ago did full service at Toyota dealership. They told me all wiper blade gone. Rear shock leaking. Rear brake and pad need replacing due to rust. 

They also said they could not due the hybrid report because error was coming up. They told me I have to drive it 500 miles and then we will try again.

1.  is this true ? That they cannot check it if batter low. they did not even tell me until I asked why is x in that section.

2. what an I finding it so hard to find rear shocks for this car?  I just bought the one euro car part website said sachs brand. What brand to Toyota use.

3. how do I charge the Battery. it say on Toyota website live it one for 1 hour on parking on drive way.  Is this true ?

4.  it looks like the person charged  batter from underseat. As he has ripped the plastic trims complete for side panels and the seat mount is broke. Find it hard to get this part.  dealership said we have to order it in.

5. I realised it' best to get oem wipe for front due to only having one.  is this correct.

6. do I need to do the oil service on the tranny? As report says 40k or 4 year and it been 5 years 31k

Thanks for all the help

You took a risk buying a car of such a technical nature, a hybrid, not knowing much about them by the sound of it. Hope you got it for a bargain price.                          
A hybrid has 2 batteries, the large Battery under the rear seat is the one that allows the car to run on Battery some of the time. This is fairly inaccessible for a reason, the car owner needs to doing nothing to maintain it except make sure the air cooling system leading to the Battery is kept free of rubbish (fluff, hair etc) as batteries do not like excess heat. The under seat hybrid battery is high voltage, so messing under seat can be a dangerous thing to do. It gets charged up normally by the car being used, and as you driving goes through a process of being charged (partially or full) and discharging when driving on electric only. All of this is controlled by an onboard computer, the driver does not need to do anything.                       
The second battery is the standard 12v battery you normally get in a car. This gets charged when the car is running, but can be charged by parking the vehicle and turning the car system on but remaining in neutral/park on your drive - hence mention of it in your handbook. Whilst parked the engine may come on periodically but the best way for the hybrid battery to recharge is by driving it, hence the advice about 500 miles use (not necessarily all at once.....but you can if you want!)                    
I suggest the Toyota dealer has advised driving the car 500 mile is because the main hybrid battery has not been in use due to the car only travelled 1000 miles on the last year, that’s not good, and Toyota dealer wants the car to be used so the true health of the hybrid battery can be determined.                     
With the car not being used hardly in last 12 months I not surprised things like rear brakes are rusty, even though it’s passed it mot some two months ago. Rear brakes appear to be a weaker point in Toyota hybrids as they are not used a great deal. Most braking is done on front brakes even in a “normal” car, but in a Toyota hybrid the system itself assists with braking as part of the regeneration process.        
As going under seat is not recommended, it would be very unusual for seat fixings to be broken ( caused by excessive force and incorrect procedure) so I not surprised a dealer has to order it.......and it could take some time to obtain.             
Windscreen wipers, if there was two fitted when manufactured then you need two now. You choose whatever make you want, but you will find some clean better then others, so fitting same as what Toyota fitted would be a safe bet. For the cost and benefit what’s the point of going cheap.                
Transmission, if Toyota recommend 4 years of 40000 miles(whichever comes soonest), then do it, especially as the car has been stood. 
Rear shock, again, my advice in your situ is to fit what Toyota would fit, so why not ask Toyota what they fit, or just get them to do it.            
It seems to me you not mechanically minded (sorry if I wrong), and hopefully got this Yaris hybrid for a good price, so my recommendation would be....... spend some of the money you saved by letting someone who does know mechanics to sort the problems, then you should have piece of mind for the future. Modern day cars are wonderful to drive, the Yaris hybrid is no exception, but when they go wrong they can be very expensive to sort, so start off right,  bring it up to scratch now, and hopefully enjoy trouble free motoring, treating it carefully and sticking to service schedule, it will potentially save you loads in the future.

Happy motoring!

1: If the car has had a flat Battery and thrown up a fault code, it will need to be driven 500 miles before the Hybrid health check (Hybrid Battery check) can be done-Standard

2: Rear shock, about £60 plus VAT at your dealer, plus labour

3: The 12V Battery can be charged just by running on your driveway, however if it has stood a while, it is most likely knackered

4: The seat clips are easily broken, easily available to order, about £7 each

5: Standard Toyota wiper, about £17, would be in stock at your dealer

6: Oil change on CVT can be changed at your dealer if you think it needs doing, but not normally at that mileage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

1: If the car has had a flat battery and thrown up a fault code, it will need to be driven 500 miles before the Hybrid health check (Hybrid battery check) can be done-Standard

2: Rear shock, about £60 plus VAT at your dealer, plus labour

3: The 12V battery can be charged just by running on your driveway, however if it has stood a while, it is most likely knackered

4: The seat clips are easily broken, easily available to order, about £7 each

5: Standard Toyota wiper, about £17, would be in stock at your dealer

6: Oil change on CVT can be changed at your dealer if you think it needs doing, but not normally at that mileage

Hi 

I bought the wipe from them for 24 pound and he said cheaper one 17 pound but that was is not good one. 24 is metal not plastic.

I am planning to do shocks myself as they where only to change one shock but I been advice to change both by local machican due to one being weaker.

The CVT is a advisory  so I get it done next month when it 5 years  in march.

The clips they dont stock have to be ordered in as dealer.

Thanks for the advice.

What I really need to known is the torque measurement for the  rear shock nuts. But cant seem to find that information no were for 2015

Regards

Jay

1. Yes, As above

2. iirc the oem is KYB

3. If the 12v is flat and has been left flat it kills them, its a AGM Battery replace it with the same type

4. The rear seat clips are very stiff and easy to break

5.  £24 fitted is about right, if not you have paid full retail

6. Its low mileage I wouldn't be to concerned

Torque settings for the rear shock bolts  06/2011-11/2017

Upper -15-18mm of thread above the nut - 25nm

Lower - 49nm

Torque the lower one with the wheel on the ground

Front wiper I got a Bosch one for about £13 and it's very good. During the lockdown early this year I made sure the car were driven at least every 4 days to the shops or park when I did exercise.

Passed MOT earlier this month with no advisory since the last one 18months ago. Changed the pollen and air filter myself also this year as well fitting led interior and boot bulbs

• Thanks 1

Some things to mention:

1. The small 12 Volt AGM Battery is charged when the hybrid synergy drive (read: the car) is switched on. However: Do not leave the gear selector in Neutral, as the car does not charge the Battery in Neutral. You can leave the car standing there for half an hour in order to refresh the 12 Volt Battery. The combustion engine may switch on every now and then, so don't do it with your garage doors closed.

2. The car can be jump started with an auxiliary battery or power source by connecting it with two remote starting connectors under the front bonnet. It is not necessary to remove the battery for that.

3. I would suggest replacing the wiper blade with an original Toyota spare part. I just bought a no name blade and had difficulties attaching it, because the wiper arm comes from one side.

4. Toyota offers a Hybrid battery check which entitles you for one more year of warranty coverage for your Hybrid battery. Frankly, I do not know if this really is necessary.

5. If you haven't got it, go and get an users manual. It is available online somewhere.

Ah, the last point: Have fun!

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, flash22 said:

1. Yes, As above

2. iirc the oem is KYB

3. If the 12v is flat and has been left flat it kills them, its a AGM battery replace it with the same type

4. The rear seat clips are very stiff and easy to break

5.  £24 fitted is about right, if not you have paid full retail

6. Its low mileage I wouldn't be to concerned

Torque settings for the rear shock bolts  06/2011-11/2017

Upper -15-18mm of thread above the nut - 25nm

Lower - 49nm

Torque the lower one with the wheel on the ground

Hi Thanks for information.

When i got the car serviced  i told them website states i need a 5 year/60k service which replaces spark plugs as well.  As she put it down as 40k service and only difference is  the spark plugs with 60k service. I am so  glad they change the spark plugs for me and did it as 60k service. Service was £235  due to club 5+ and as i just got the car and did not have service past 2 years. Thought i go to main dealer.  Next service i will do myself. Also i notice last service used 5w30 (with a engine flush) castol and 0w20 is recommended and now it  has that. 

What do you guys use. As my old BMW also use grade 5w30 for uk climate.

2. Wish I knew this earlier as I ended up getting sachs shock Which are good as well. Use in my old BMW same brand. 

3. The way i went to see it the owner said he had to charge it since i have had it 1 week touch would no issues of it starting up. Time will tell.

5. I thought i got a bargain lol I guess i did not. While the car was getting service they told me £45 pounds to change all the wipers. So i went to the part department and just bought it from there. He offered me £17(plastic) or £24 (metal much heaver then cheaper one). On eBay the wiper from them was £32. The one i got had this part number 85212-0d102

Genuine Toyota Yaris 2012-2017 Front Wiper Blade 800mm/31.5" 852120D102 | eBay

I thought as their is only one blade better to get proper one. And he said heavy one is better. 

Oh  wish i know knew the torque earlier.  As i did not know it i just gave it to the local mechanic who used the ramp and did it in 40 mins both sides. I watched while he did it and he never torqued nothing down, Just used his air gun to untighten and tighten everything.  What i did notice he did is tighten the bottom nut (with car on the ramp) and then lowered the car with only one wheel on the rear (while car still on ramp). Then  tighten the top mount with air gun. As I was the one who was lowering the ramp down. Is this ok procedure or do i need to loosen bottom again and retighten them with car on ground?

Also should i torque it down as i do have a torque wrench. He also did not torque the wheel just air gun them as well. What is the torque for the wheels?     

To i notice the car does not like steep hills that much as it was lacking power.

I even looked on Haynes website for book. I entered number plate and said no book for my car. Thanks for all the info given.

13 hours ago, jay_1 said:

Today i notice the car does not like steep hills that much as it was lacking power.

That is the one area I dislike about the pre new yaris. It lacks power for hills and goes noise crazy. 

20 hours ago, snowBALLs said:

Front wiper I got a Bosch one for about £13 and it's very good. During the lockdown early this year I made sure the car were driven at least every 4 days to the shops or park when I did exercise.

Passed MOT earlier this month with no advisory since the last one 18months ago. Changed the pollen and air filter myself also this year as well fitting led interior and boot bulbs. 

Apologies for interrupting, @snowBALLs, but can you tell me where you ordered these LED internal bulbs from ?
Presumably, internal lights don’t affect CANBUS ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

Just want to ask dont the buttons on the steering wheel light up in the night? When the lights are on? 

Get toyota optifit Wiper Blades from your dealer parts department and fit it your self. They are hybrid blades and a very good quality (made by Trico)

under the footwell driver side there is a button between brake pedal and steering wheel. on the steerting well column what ths it. says set on it I think

On 12/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, jay_1 said:

Hi 

Just want to ask dont the buttons on the steering wheel light up in the night? When the lights are on? 

No they do not light up, not even on the top spec Yaris Excel Premium

6 hours ago, jay_1 said:

under the footwell driver side there is a button between brake pedal and steering wheel. on the steerting well column what ths it. says set on it I think

It's the reset for the tpms system

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links