Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Radio Questions

oaklandm

I’ve just recently got a 2nd hand 2018 CHR and it’s quite a basic one. It has the touch radio with no sat-nav, I thought it would work with Siri Eyes Free but it doesn’t seem to be the case. I am thinking about putting an aftermarket radio in it with CarPlay, looking around the internet, to remove the radio it looks like you have to remove a lot of the dash, can anyone confirm this is right? If that is the case then I will probably get someone else to fit it.

Also are there any settings I can check to try and get Siri eyes free to work?

thanks

you will have the Touch 2 without the Navigation the "go" part you dont get the apps

2018 is fairly straight forward unclip the surround with a trim tool

1230722574_chrfacia.thumb.png.6c1e9e07d834454af86ef9bf9bf08ae7.png

I will look up the install kit shortly.....................................

without 8" touch screen

https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT23TY78

• Thanks 1

Excellent, cheers, should be able to do it myself then. Will look at the CarPlay stereo’s but obviously need to make sure they work with the Toyota rear camera 

stick with the brand names from the likes of alpine and pioneer, regarding the reverse camera you will need a camera retention module as the factory camera is 5-7v (nom. 6v)

Do you know if I would need an iso lead and facia surround? Have had a look online and seems there are plenty of leads and facia available except for the CHR, so far I haven’t managed to find any items listed for a CHR. I am looking at a Pioneer head unit double din

15 hours ago, flash22 said:

you will have the Touch 2 without the Navigation the "go" part you dont get the apps

2018 is fairly straight forward unclip the surround with a trim tool

1230722574_chrfacia.thumb.png.6c1e9e07d834454af86ef9bf9bf08ae7.png

I will look up the install kit shortly.....................................

without 8" touch screen

https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT23TY78

Sorry, the link didn’t show up yesterday on my mobile for the facia, got home and have ordered the facia. 
do you know if Pioneer head units come with the correct leads to connect to the CHR? Been years since I bought a head unit, I remember having to buy the iso leads in the past but can’t find any for the CHR online.

You will need an audio controls adapter and aerial adapter, some cars are not listed, but they will be listed in the documentation aftermarket radios are ISO standard

Aerial adapter

CT27AA78

or

CT27AA79

The controls Adapter should be the same as the Rav4 ect. But I suggest you contact connects2

https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSTY002.2

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately it looks like a no go for an aftermarket unit in my CHR. Phoned lots of places and no one has any info on CHR wiring, connects2 don’t list anything compatible. Toyota obviously less than helpful as they want to sell me a £1000 replacement unit.

thanks for your help

The connectors are all standard there are only 3-4 types of controls used in that time period

There is a lead listed for the C-HR by a company that rebrands connects2 - what is the same as the one I posted above

Aerpro CHT03C

Because it hasn't been done, it doesn't mean it can't be done

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

The connectors are all standard there are only 3-4 types of controls used in that time period

There is a lead listed for the C-HR by a company that rebrands connects2 - what is the same as the one I posted above

Aerpro CHT03C

Because it hasn't been done, it doesn't mean it can't be done

I’m sure it can be done, I’d be a lot happier if I was able to find some leads that are confirmed to work with the CHR. I contacted connects2 but they said they don’t list anything for the CHR. 
I rang Toyota to see if the CHR shared the stereo wiring with any of the other models like the RAV4 or Prius but they said it’s specific to the CHR which I’m sure is their way of trying to get you to spend money on a new unit 🙂 

I’ve tried searching the cable you mentioned above but no luck finding any stock. I’ve also looked to try and find any Toyota workshop manuals to compare the CHR stereo wiring to other Toyota models but no luck with that either.

for an aftermarket radio it uses the same power and speaker plugs that have been standard since 1987 on a 2017 it will have the Toyota standard 28pin

The audio controls are resistive based, i will see if i can find the relevant information

Thanks for looking. I contacted a local car installation place and they said they have no info for that car. Find it all very strange that it is so hard to find anything on a car model that is 4 years old, I was expecting to find loads of info

Its a niche car, i have only seen a few on the road - as you can see the voltage values are the same as the Rav4 12/12 - 08/16 what is the one I listed above, if you have the JBL amplified system there is a different adapter

Aerpro are just rebranded Connects2 (also listed for the rav4)

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Its a niche car, i have only seen a few on the road - as you can see the voltage values are the same as the Rav4 12/12 - 08/16 what is the one I listed above, if you have the JBL amplified system there is a different adapter

Aerpro are just rebranded Connects2 (also listed for the rav4)

So you think go for a Rav 4 kit and it should be ok?

I didn’t realise how alike the Rav 4 and CHR are. Just been looking at pictures of the stereo and they look identical except the Rav 4 has hardware buttons where mine has touch buttons. I’ve contacted Connects2 support to see what they say. 
I was thinking just buy a Rav 4 lead to connect the stereo and see if it works without the steering wheel controls and go from there

oh I did find this but there is no way I’m gonna put this in my car and expect it to work

https://www.joyingauto.eu/8-inch-single-din-autoradio-android-ips-screen-dsp-head-unit.html

Apparently they work without issue as long as I buy a £35 cublead from them too. 

I contacted Crutchfield In the USA who list equipment for the CHR over there, they were very helpful even though they don't ship outside the US. They gave me listings for all the stuff they would supply for the CHR, just need to find the connects2 version and check those.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADSMRR/iDatalink-Maestro-RR-Interface-Module.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794HRRTO2/iDatalink-HRN-RR-TO2-Factory-Integration-Adapter-ADS-MRR-module-also-required.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120TOYUSB/Metra-AX-TOYUSB-USB-Port-Cable.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040LX11/Metra-40-LX11-Antenna-Adapter.html

Apparently that will all work with a Pioneer head unit and retain the features of the reversing camera and steering wheel controls.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links