Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange noises (and where to find them)

CurranShelter

My 2015 Auris TS has developed a new 'feature', which is causing me a little concern. It's an occasional rattle or vibration sound as if something is wobbling about, seemingly underneath the car and possibly more on the passenger side, although it's hard to be sure.

I do an 8-ish mile return journey twice a day and for whatever reason, the noise usually crops up on the way back, not at precisely the same point within the journey, but usually at some point within a particular half mile stretch. Most commonly just after a slight dog-leg bend, although sometimes on a straight (with slight ascent) that comes just before the bend. I mention this because it's not obvious what provokes it; it has (perhaps unsurprisingly) occurred over speed humps a couple of times, but not consistently. It doesn't happen for most of the journey, just once or twice although sometimes not at all.

I'm reasonably sure it's affected to some extent by temperature, as we've had a couple of very frosty mornings just recently and it has sounded worse. I'm attaching a couple of audio files - Example A is from a recent mild day and Example B is from this morning when it was very cold - you should hear the noise just a couple of seconds or so into the recording (might need to turn Speakers up a bit).

I did wonder if someone might have made an aborted attempt to steal the cat, given the prevalence of such thefts, but there's a Catloc fitted and that seems secure, as does the exhaust from what I can tell. There's nothing else obviously awry, from having had just a quick squiz under the car, but of course there's a lot of plastic lining under there so can't really see everything.

And as if that's not enough, another noise joined it this afternoon. It's a sort of high-pitched whistle, a little bit like you might hear from brakes but not exactly the same, and it doesn't occur on braking. I had it sporadically for a while some time ago (last year I think) and then it stopped, but has just returned for no obvious reason. This one seems to occur most commonly just as I'm reaching home, sometimes soon after turning although that may be coincidence. I haven't managed to capture a recording of this one just yet.

I'm guessing a trip to the dealership is inevitable, but thought it worth asking on here first in case anyone has an idea what might be happening. Also, now that the car is out of warranty, I'm wondering what costs I could face for getting it looked into - is a dealership likely to investigate and then just charge if something needs fixing, or is there an hourly rate or something for a technician to spend time investigating?

Thoughts/advice welcome... thanks in advance.

Example A.mp3 Example B.mp3

Hi,

It does sound like some panel or suspension part rocking about.

Ask your  local  Toyota what the cost is to diagnos the problem, eg the hourly rate.

Most decent garages should be well able to spot such a problem, it could be anything fron a loose plastic cover, or wear in any supension or braking part.

All things like that are automatically checked in the MOT test,  if yours is due ?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

All things like that are automatically checked in the MOT test,  if yours is due ?

Thanks, annoyingly the MOT and service were done a while back, and it was not long after that when I first noticed the noise!

Do you think it sounds like this recent post (and sound clip) ?

I don't think this fault had had a fix reported. Also, the car is older and higher mileage than yours.

I have an idea that Fostel has a second thread running in parallel to this about the same problem, somewhere on here.

• Thanks 1

Yeap, sounds a bit like a loose suspension, stabiliser bar links sound similar when they become worn. Definitely needs checking under the car., but sometimes it’s difficult to find out straight away. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks both. @Gerg, you may recall the issue with the suspension creak, which I had to ask the dealership to look at a couple of times. The first time they had a go, it helped very briefly but then the creak resumed. Then at the most recent service I got them to have another go, and they had a proper look and lubricated the suspension mounts, which has solved that particular problem for now. But it's since then that the new noise has shown up (coincidence? maybe - not sure!). Anyway, I look like having to take it in for diagnosis. 😕💸💸

16 hours ago, Gerg said:

Do you think it sounds like this recent post (and sound clip) ?

I don't think this fault had had a fix reported. Also, the car is older and higher mileage than yours.

Forgot to say, yes it does sound pretty similar to this, just not quite as bad or prolonged (for now at least!). Anyway, dealership wants £78/hr for diagnosis so I'm weighing up whether this is one for a main dealership or a bloke up the road. That kind of rate makes me a bit nervous when it's an intermittent problem and I've no idea how long it might take to replicate, let alone diagnose. But then having had a pretty-much fault-free Corolla for 11 yrs and then this one under warranty until now, I'm not used to having to spend money on repairs! :sweat:

Just now, CurranShelter said:

Forgot to say, yes it does sound pretty similar to this, just not quite as bad or prolonged (for now at least!). Anyway, dealership wants £78/hr for diagnosis so I'm weighing up whether this is one for a main dealership or a bloke up the road. That kind of rate makes me a bit nervous when it's an intermittent problem and I've no idea how long it might take to replicate, let alone diagnose. But then having had a pretty-much fault-free Corolla for 11 yrs and then this one under warranty until now, I'm not used to having to spend money on repairs! :sweat:

At £78 an hour it would go a long way at another non Toyota Garage, Needs to go up on a ramp and test the suspension and see if anything is loose underneath. Could it be the cat cover expanding with the heat from the cat? 

My model, exactly the same as yours, had an intermediate service yesterday and have to say I'm impressed. Had a 2020 Yaris petrol courtesy car. Nice little car. Dealer phoned to say nearside wiper was juddering/not clearing the screen, which it was. Cost to replace £14.99. Going to clean it and arrived at 4pm and car gleaming and wiper only cost £7 fitted. Have paid for a 2 year service plan and warranty. Can't fault the service!

James.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi,

Having read that other thread it does seem like there is a bit of a problem with the rubber bushes, though very similar to the older Corolla which has never cause any such problems.

Possibly a slight difference in the bodywork allowing the elements to contaminate the bushes easier. ?

For your knocking, perhaps try a few more drivng tests to try an isolate things.

Seems like the problem worse when either very cold or after your 8 mile run, when is just about fully wamed up.

After a drive like that, take it around some small roundabout where you can take it at some speed , so you load up one side of the supension as you go round, does it cause a knock ?

Try going over some speed bumps, rough road to see if that causes it.

Does using the brake have any effect, either involking  or suppressing the knocks.

Again once warmed up, try going into reverse on quiet road/area and let the clutch out a little fast, so the engine and drive will move a bit more, does that create the knock, which indicates something more in the engine bay, exhaust or exhaust heat shields catching or loose.

As a byline, like you have had the trusted Crolla for over 10 years now and was thinking about  getting an Auris, probably 2016-18 - ish.

Any comment about how different the Auris feels in ride and comfort etc good or bad ?

• Thanks 1

@oldcodger Ah now you've reminded me - there's one other scenario where I have noticed the noise which is if I pull off sharply, e.g. I might be motoring along the bypass, have to pull up at the motorway roundabout from a fair speed because of those infuriating panels that block your view of traffic already on the roundabout, and then pull away again rapidly if it's clear - the forces involved in that seem to provoke this wobble/rattle noise, and one or two other instances if I've had to accelerate quite sharply.

As regards Corolla vs Auris, I find them really quite different. I still miss my Corolla in some ways... it may not have had the sharpest steering or the best dynamics, but I found it handled tidily most of the time and was nice and responsive (1.6 like yours) and reasonably refined for its day. As I have the hybrid Touring Sport version of the Auris, it's a good bit bigger and heavier, and I notice every bit of that in the way it drives. It's very well-suited to a relaxed driving style, maximising economy, which is of course what it's built for. I remember test-driving an Octavia at the time I tried the Auris, and despite the Octavia being a touch bigger, it somehow didn't feel so big to drive whereas the back window of the Auris TS seemed a long way back and I could feel the weight of the car too, especially when setting off from home up a nearby hill where it takes its time - the Corolla felt very light and sprightly by comparison.

But then the economy of the Auris is a good bit better and we have much more space (load space in particular) which is very useful. The Auris is also more comfortable on the whole. A very relaxed, tranquil drive. I should say it does have some poke when I'm in a hurry, but as is well known with this hybrid + eCVT setup, it makes quite a groan as it spins up for accelerating and especially tackling slopes, which never feels quick to me. There's also a touch too much body roll for my liking (again, adding to that sense of a large, slightly lumbering car - but bear in mind I had been used to the Corolla hatchback and a nippy Peugeot 206 before that) - however, I know it's often a bit of a trade-off between tight handling and ride comfort, so it's probably a fair balance overall. I believe the facelifted model had some work done on the powertrain and handling, and indeed before I found that out, I test drove one just before buying my pre-facelift version, not appreciating the difference there would be (the dealer certainly played down that aspect) - but the newer version did feel better to me. What it boils down to is, my Auris is a nice, satisfying car when I'm not in too much of a rush and can appreciate the refinement and economy as I waft along, so I just need to work on my timekeeping and not be in too much of a rush. 😁

• Thanks 2

@CurranShelter

Thanks for that insightgful comment, will be keeping an eye out for a good one over the next few months, something for a good run out in late spring  given the lockdowns are a thing of past and the vaccinations work !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mystery solved - took car into dealership as I just kept wondering if it could be something to do with the Catloc, and sure enough, it had loosened and was knocking against the exhaust. 😬 Quickly rectified as I waited, and seems fine for now.

(Still not sure about the high-pitched noise, but it's only occasional...)