Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 Avensis or 2010?

Biggus

I've always owned "personality" cars, but now that I'm middle aged (read: boring old f*rt), I just want something reliable to get me and my loved ones around.

I have thus arrived at the decision to buy a Toyota Avensis (assuming they suit my 6'2" frame).

I'm looking for something with ~40,000 miles on the clock. So what makes more sense: buy a 2006 model for around £2k, or spend roughly twice as much for a 2010 model with the same mileage?

I'm a bit of an audio nut, so the quality of the stereo is fairly important, but obviously: motoring reliability and bang-for-the-buck is key here.

2010 is T27 series. 2006 is T25.

T27 drives nicer - its more modern. Its also more complicated (electronic parking brake and Valvematic engine).

T25 is simpler. Will be cheaper to run. Watch for rust at that age. 2006-2008 1.8 petrol engine is pretty much bulletproof.

• Like 1

Since you are London based, petrol will be advisable with the ULEZ 'supposedly' extending to the North and South circular roads, next year. I say supposedly, because the conservative opposition claims he will not let that happen, if he wins the next Mayor election. I was in a similar position of deciding to buy a late T25 or early T27, 5 years back. I went for a '58 plate (2009) T27 1.8 Valvematic Tourer, TR spec (no nav). It's not perfect, but I added a couple things - USB/Bluetooth adapter, so I could play music from USB memory sticks and stream music from phone. Also great for nav directions from the phone and in my case, second phone. Audio is okay, but could be improved. It has 6 speakers  I also liked the cruise control and 6th gear, which the T25 petrol 1.8 misses.

Avoid the lowest spec T2 Avensis. It misses too much even compared to my TR! 

Known issues with the T27 are front door cracking at the door strap area, on early models. A few Valvematic engines between 2010 - 2011 have had Valvematic controller faults. Also affects 1.6 engines that are shared with the Auris. The parking brake can show faults, caused by other systems and factors, but the unit itself is fine. This is why you need a very good diagnostics tool to find the real cause! The brakes are easy to service, but it is crucial that the rear pistons are wound back so the cut outs in the pistons are aligned so the protruding studs on the back of the brake pads sit within the gap. Failure to do this will cause uneven pad wear on the inner pads. They will wear at an angle faster than normal. Since I replaced the Battery this summer, the car has behaved a lot better, with the odd TRC ECU not communicating quickly after start up. I use the preferred oil grade - 0W-20, Denso Iridium sparkplugs.
Most of my experience with my car, has been shared on this forum. I just discovered a suspected exhaust leak, so will be investigating that shortly. 

12 hours ago, mrfixer said:

2010 is T27 series. 2006 is T25.

T27 drives nicer - its more modern. Its also more complicated (electronic parking brake and Valvematic engine).

T25 is simpler. Will be cheaper to run. Watch for rust at that age. 2006-2008 1.8 petrol engine is pretty much bulletproof.

Thanks for the reply.

When you say "cheaper to run" are you referring to maintenance costs? The earlier model is surely not better in terms of MPG or road tax?

2 hours ago, Biggus said:

Thanks for the reply.

When you say "cheaper to run" are you referring to maintenance costs? The earlier model is surely not better in terms of MPG or road tax?

IIRC Tax is a bit higher on the T25. The 1.8 Valvematic on the T27 is a little more economical than the T25 1.8, but not a huge amount in it.

The T25 is a slightly simpler car and there are huge amounts of inexpensive secondhand and aftermarket parts available.

4 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Since you are London based, petrol will be advisable with the ULEZ 'supposedly' extending to the North and South circular roads, next year. I say supposedly, because the conservative opposition claims he will not let that happen, if he wins the next Mayor election. I was in a similar position of deciding to buy a late T25 or early T27, 5 years back. I went for a '58 plate (2009) T27 1.8 Valvematic Tourer, TR spec (no nav). It's not perfect, but I added a couple things - USB/Bluetooth adapter, so I could play music from USB memory sticks and stream music from phone. Also great for nav directions from the phone and in my case, second phone. Audio is okay, but could be improved. It has 6 speakers  I also liked the cruise control and 6th gear, which the T25 petrol 1.8 misses.

Known issues with the T27 are front door cracking at the door strap area, on early models. A few Valvematic engines between 2010 - 2011 have had Valvematic controller faults. Also affects 1.6 engines that are shared with the Auris. The parking brake can show faults, caused by other systems and factors, but the unit itself is fine. This is why you need a very good diagnostics tool to find the real cause! The brakes are easy to service, but it is crucial that the rear pistons are wound back so the cut outs in the pistons are aligned so the protruding studs on the back of the brake pads sit within the gap. Failure to do this will cause uneven pad wear on the inner pads. They will wear at an angle faster than normal. Since I replaced the battery this summer, the car has behaved a lot better, with the odd TRC ECU not communicating quickly after start up. I use the preferred oil grade - 0W-20, Denso iridium sparkplugs.
Most of my experience with my car, has been shared on this forum. I just discovered a suspected exhaust leak, so will be investigating that shortly. 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'd decided on the petrol version because of the upcoming ULEZ. Sure, maybe the Tories will rescind it, but there's no guarantee Sadiq won't get re-elected!

On 11/29/2020 at 10:09 AM, Konrad C said:

Known issues with the T27 are front door cracking at the door strap area, on early models. A few Valvematic engines between 2010 - 2011 have had Valvematic controller faults. Also affects 1.6 engines that are shared with the Auris. The parking brake can show faults, caused by other systems and factors, but the unit itself is fine. This is why you need a very good diagnostics tool to find the real cause! The brakes are easy to service, but it is crucial that the rear pistons are wound back so the cut outs in the pistons are aligned so the protruding studs on the back of the brake pads sit within the gap. Failure to do this will cause uneven pad wear on the inner pads. They will wear at an angle faster than normal. Since I replaced the Battery this summer, the car has behaved a lot better, with the odd TRC ECU not communicating quickly after start up. I use the preferred Oil grade - 0W-20, Denso Iridium sparkplugs.

Checked the car on garage ramps and the exhaust is fine. What I heard was the reverberation off the wall on my drive, with the engine idling low. Plenty of years left in the exhaust.

19 hours ago, Biggus said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'd decided on the petrol version because of the upcoming ULEZ. Sure, maybe the Tories will rescind it, but there's no guarantee Sadiq won't get re-elected!

ULEZ is a tricky subject and will mainly impact on those with vehicles that will have to pay, to drive within the inner London ULEZ. Diesel vehicle that don't meet euro 6 are hit the hardest. Let's see what happens next year, but at least you will be getting the right engine. Good luck with your search. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links