Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Import Yaris GR from Europe to US?

Bladerealm124@yahoo.com

Does anyone have any info on where to begin with importing a new Toyota Yaris GR from Europe to the US? I was thinking Germany or Spain may make the most sense so I'd likely be dealing with Toyota Germany or Toyota Spain but not sure if there is an easier or less expensive country in terms of fees, emissions, etc. Who else would I need to contact? EPA?

Thank you

it depends on what state you are in, the easiest way would be to find a broker

Parts may be an issue as the US Yaris is base on the Mazda and built in Mexico, The European cars are built in France

Sorry, can't help in the slightest, but my curiosity has been aroused!!!!

Why do you want to import a Yaris GR into the States?

Mick.

The GR is built in Japan. 

As the GR is currently limited to 25,000, not sure whether one of the European importers (ie Toyota Germany or Toyota Spain) would be interested.

Perhaps as mentioned earlier, a broker would be the way to go.

Aside from that, not sure whether the car would be covered under any Toyota  warranty, as it would be a personal import, and is not officially available in the US.

You can't as it isn't 25 years old and doesn't comply to US standards.

21 hours ago, lani100 said:

You can't as it isn't 25 years old and doesn't comply to US standards.

It depends on the state/EPA, you can import a new car but it needs to be compliant or be made compliant

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/learn-about-importing-vehicles-and-engines

https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/independent-commercial-importers-icis

On the basis that each dealer will get very limited quantities, I doubt you would get a dealer wanting to deal with the hassle of an export when he can sell all of his quota. A broker would be the way to go, but you may have issues with emissions/safety etc 

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

But that still requires it to go through crash testing to be road registered. 

It's a single vehicle not a manufacturer, its exempt under certain rules but an ICI or importer can deal with the paperwork under the NHTSA rules

in the uk we have a simpler system called an IVA https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-forms-and-guidance

On 12/1/2020 at 11:24 AM, G6-R said:

That's germany, in the Netherlands the tax is even higher and it costs even more.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:49 PM, flash22 said:

It's a single vehicle not a manufacturer, its exempt under certain rules but an ICI or importer can deal with the paperwork under the NHTSA rules

in the uk we have a simpler system called an IVA https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-forms-and-guidance

I'm aware of of the easy UK rules but it's still not exempt, the 25y rule is there for a reason.
It doesn't have the exemption and it isn't on the EPA list
Loads of people have tried it's simply not going to happen

Pretty sure the GR Yaris isn't NCAP rated. So not sure that will help either,

On 11/30/2020 at 5:41 PM, lani100 said:

But that still requires it to go through crash testing to be road registered. 

Pretty sure the GR Yaris isn't NCAP rated. So not sure that will help either,

Testing under Euro NCAP is voluntary and not a legal requirement.

For example Audi UK were criticised a few years ago because UK dealers were claiming some models had been awarded five star safety ratings, when in fact, they hadn't been tested by Euro NCAP.  Rather than undergo testing, Audi instructed dealers to drop any reference to safety rating awards when selling these models.

• 4 months later...

Couldn't you purchase one across the pond, have it shipped to your home, and then get it registered as a street legal dune buggy or something?  You're telling me I literally cannot purchase this physical object and then  literally cannot drive it at all?  I call this Mod edit 'merica.

5 hours ago, FlyingNimbus said:

then  literally cannot drive it at all?

It's a lethal weapon, so there are local laws that need compliance if you want to use it on public roads.

Simpler to buy a gun 🙃