Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

0w16 or 0w20 oil when service done at Toyota.

nielshm

I've had 2 services done so far at my Toyota dealer. Car is 2019 Corolla 2.0.

Both times they have used 0w20, even if the best viscosity is 0w16. It's not 'illegal' to use 0w20, but the thinner viscosity should be used when ever possible. 

Fuel economy is claimed to improve 2%, only by changing from 0w20 to 0w16. Quite impressive. My car has improved quite a lot since brand new with a proper breaking in. But I guess I don't see the full potential if the oil is not the 100% correct viscosity. 

If Toyota dealers don't use the preferred oil, who does? If any.... Have you guys had your Corolla, Camry, Rav4 serviced, and what did they put in? 

I only use Toyota dealers. Other non-brand garages typically used 5w30, totally No Go, and should only be used in emergency. 

I think I would prefer 0w20 during the warmer summer months. I suspect the dealer had some 0w20 left over, in the handbook (uk) recommended viscosity can go up to 15w40 which is down to -12 to + 27 degrees c.

but yes it does say that 0w20 can be used but should be changed to 0w16 when possible. When I had my auris icon + the recommended oil was in fact 0w20 and the corolla has pretty much the same engine (1.8) I managed 55 to 60 mpg in that one with 74.9 best.

0W-16 is the preferred oil. Under Block Exemption, Toyota cannot insist that dealers use a particular oil, hence there being some variation between the preference and what some dealers use.

The best way around this would be to specify that 0W-16 oil is used when first booking the service, and checking this will be used when taking the car in for service. This is what I do, and have never had any issue.

Between 0w16 and 0w20 there is not that much of a difference however between 0w20 and 5w30 it is. Seems like dealers are saving from using different  oil grade. 

The oil situation is getting a bit over the top if you ask me. We have had difficulty in obtaining 0w 16 in bulk, so can only be purchased in pack form at present, which makes it more expensive to buy. 0W 8 is now on the market, yet another oil which will need to be purchased in bulk (tanks) at some stage in the future

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol, what will be the next 0w0 ? 😂 if all goes that way. Probably they will have very similar characteristics to 0w20 if you look at the spec sheet. 👍

• Like 1

Yep you are probably right, I dare not look LOL

I'm all for progress but................. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links