Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No heat 03 1.8 Avensis

eastender lee

Hi everyone, I would like to say before i start i am by no means a mechanic!!!!

Hopefully, someone could help,  My 03 plate Avensis (1.8 petrol) does not give  out any heat, i get the blower blowing full but just cold air, it started going full heat then started just getting heat from one side and now nothing, i have been reading up a little concerning this issue as the car also loses a little water over a month to the point that she will start to over heat if not topped up with coolant, i can not find where the water lose is but the overflow tank sits just under the min mark when i refill, i probably put 1 to 2 pints of water in it every month and then she does not overheat,  i have checked the floor pan on passengers side as i read on here the matrix could be leaking but no water there, i checked the 2 pipes that go into the bulkhead this morning after having a run and bringing the car to normal temp and the top hose was very luke warm and the bottom hose was cold, As i live in the ULEZ charge which is coming in in October, and this car will not pass the for the free charge, i will be giving this to my brother who lives out of london so the ulez wont affect him, but would like to give it to him working,  I had the engine reconditioned a couple of years ago and have not even done 10,000 miles in it since so i dont want to just give up on it as she is still a descent motor.

could anyone who knows about these things help to try and solve this?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Either a coolant leak somewhere or head gasket problem.

Best bet it to take it to a garage and ask them to pressure test the cooling system.

^ I would agree with that. The problem with the heater is caused by the primary fault which is loss of water... possibly head gasket if you can't see visible leaks anywhere. 

I had a 2001 1.8 petrol last year. Heater would only blow hot air very occassionaly, normally just blew out cold air. I replaced the heater control unit in the dashboard (approx £15 ebay), was a very easy 15 minute job. There after heater worked great. Not sure it is exactly same issue you have, but thought I'd mention it.

On 11/29/2020 at 1:27 PM, eastender lee said:

Hi everyone, I would like to say before i start i am by no means a mechanic!!!!

Hopefully, someone could help,  My 03 plate Avensis (1.8 petrol) does not give  out any heat, i get the blower blowing full but just cold air, it started going full heat then started just getting heat from one side and now nothing, i have been reading up a little concerning this issue as the car also loses a little water over a month to the point that she will start to over heat if not topped up with coolant, i can not find where the water lose is but the overflow tank sits just under the min mark when i refill, i probably put 1 to 2 pints of water in it every month and then she does not overheat,  i have checked the floor pan on passengers side as i read on here the matrix could be leaking but no water there, i checked the 2 pipes that go into the bulkhead this morning after having a run and bringing the car to normal temp and the top hose was very luke warm and the bottom hose was cold, As i live in the ULEZ charge which is coming in in October, and this car will not pass the for the free charge, i will be giving this to my brother who lives out of london so the ulez wont affect him, but would like to give it to him working,  I had the engine reconditioned a couple of years ago and have not even done 10,000 miles in it since so i dont want to just give up on it as she is still a descent motor.

could anyone who knows about these things help to try and solve this?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Check the oil levels, see if there’s a milky substance on the dipstick. Or if it’s due an oil change see if oil is contaminated by by coolant, which is a definite sign of a leaking faulty head gasket. Park it in a garage or shed run it up to hot temperatures put clean cardboard underneath and see if any leaks, switch it off leave overnight and check again in the morning. You might be able to trace a leak that way. Hope that will help. Let us know if you resolve the problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links