Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommended service items for (Imported) 2014 Prius?

priusnoob

I'm thinking:

Standard 1 year service:

Oil Filter: Bosch Oil Filter (Part No,: 501820157)
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/bosch-oil-filter-501820157
Price: £6.43

Pollen Filter: Bosch Pollen Filter (Part No.: 507820137)
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/bosch-cabin-filter-507820137
Price: £12.87

Air Filter : Air Filter fits TOYOTA PRIUS ZVW3 1.8 09 to 15 2ZR-FXE Bosch 1770037250 Quality
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233158606193
Price: £9.19

OR:

Air Filter : Mahle Air Filter LX2678 - Fits Toyota Prius - Genuine Part (Part No: 502822079 )
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/crosland-air-filter-502820848
Price: £14.68

GENUINE TOYOTA HYBRID 0W20 SYNTHETIC ENGINE MOTOR OIL 08880-83886 5L ***
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264784942136
Price: £38

At RRG Toyota, Silsden, it costs £32 + 20% VAT (£38.40 in total)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard 2 year service:
All the above + 

Brake Fluid: 1 x Pagid Brake Fluid (Dot5.1 Brake Fluid - 500ml) (Part No: 524770310 
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/pagid-dot5-1-brake-fluid-500ml-524770310

Price: £6.28

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50K service

All of the above +
Spark Plug: Denso IXEH20TT Pack of 4 Spark Plugs Replaces
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323891986425
Price: £28.86

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

100K service 

All the above +
Coolant: Genuine Toyota Pink Pre Mixed Coolant Antifreeze Anti Freeze 5 Litres Pre Mix 5L
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261867937573
Price: £34.85

Transmission Fluid: Genuine Toyota Prius Atf Fluid Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 Litre 08886-81210 (Do I need five of these?)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360858718769
Price: £10.96  

I'd like to be as cheap as possible, with decent quality too, which is why I've chosen Bosch and Toyota genuine. I think that the cheapest sites are the ones I've listed. I may however be a little confused. I don't know how much I might necessarily need of the different things.

• Like 1

Oil & Oil filter every year/10k part number 04152-YZZA6 + Sump washer 90080-43037

Cabin pollen filter & brake fluid every 2 year/20k part number 87139-YZZ16

Engine air filter every 4 year/40k part number 17801-37021-8E

Spark plugs every 6 year/60k - Toyota specify Denso SC20HR11 Part number 90919-01275

Coolant at 100k/10yr then every 50k/5yr onwards

Transmission fluid is level check every 40k/4 year change point is not listed so change is a personal preference and you need 3.4lt 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, QuantumFireball said:

I thought the Iridium tipped spark plugs are good for about 120k miles?

I think that depends where you are! 

Europe - 60,000 miles

US - 120,000 miles, except:

California - 150,000 miles 

That's as I understand it, anyway. 

• Like 1

In the form of a 'taxi trade service kit', your Toyota dealer may be able to sell you the genuine oil filter, drain plug washer, engine oil, air filter and pollen filter for around £75.

If you think this is cheap enough to consider, it might be worth giving your local service department a call just to verify that they sell this kit. I don't know if they order this kit in for you, or just make it up from existing bits that are already in stock.

At least you know the quality is good, not that there is anything wrong with the parts you've suggested, of course.

You'll need a slightly unusual tool to remove the oil filter, as you probably know.  There are plenty of threads on this forum about that tool.

All good answers here, spark plugs can do easily double and more mileage but hey they are cheap enough and no need to skip change as if a spark plug goes wrong the coil can go too, there are even worse things that can happen. Air filter better do every 20k miles or 2 years, pollen filter with every oil change, these two filters even though they look not bad they get trapped a lot of micro particles that change the air flow plus the one for the ac you going to breathe poison if you skip on that. Transmission oil is also good idea to change after 5 th year or 80k miles. And since is 2014 if over 80000 miles a good idea of thinking egr cleaning procedure, throttle body cleaning and hybrid Battery cooling fan and filter cleaning/ change. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gerg said:

In the form of a 'taxi trade service kit', your Toyota dealer may be able to sell you the genuine oil filter, drain plug washer, engine oil, air filter and pollen filter for around £75.

If you think this is cheap enough to consider, it might be worth giving your local service department a call just to verify that they sell this kit. I don't know if they order this kit in for you, or just make it up from existing bits that are already in stock.

At least you know the quality is good, not that there is anything wrong with the parts you've suggested, of course.

You'll need a slightly unusual tool to remove the oil filter, as you probably know.  There are plenty of threads on this forum about that tool.

I'm not a taxi driver unfortunately, so I guess I can't get that? 

Also I honestly just give it to a guy to do the service. He gives zero stamps, so essentially this is my way of collecting receipts so I can prove it's having a FSH

On 12/1/2020 at 9:09 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Oil & Oil filter every year/10k part number 04152-YZZA6 + Sump washer 90080-43037

Cabin pollen filter & brake fluid every 2 year/20k part number 87139-YZZ16

Engine air filter every 4 year/40k part number 17801-37021-8E

Spark plugs every 6 year/60k - Toyota specify Denso SC20HR11 Part number 90919-01275

Coolant at 100k/10yr then every 50k/5yr onwards

Transmission fluid is level check every 40k/4 year change point is not listed so change is a personal preference and you need 3.4lt 

Hi, 

Is there anything wrong with the Bosch oil filter I chose? Or the brake fluid and pollen filter? And air filter

I also found that particular Iridium spark plug set but doing a search on Denso's website. Surely they have newer, better models that fit the same car? 

I take it you meant 3 to 4 litres too, and not 3.4 litres? 

You have been given all the information needed including genuine numbers, from there on it's personal preference/price/availability etc, your choice. The Denso plugs listed are just fine

• Like 2

3 hours ago, priusnoob said:

Is there anything wrong with the Bosch oil filter I chose? Or the brake fluid and pollen filter? And air filter

Hi,

While it may not be immediately apparent, Parts-King and Devon Aygo both work in (different) Toyota main dealers, so their recommendations are uncannily accurate and up to date!

3 hours ago, priusnoob said:

I'm not a taxi driver

I'm not a taxi driver, but when a local Toyota dealer (absolutely nothing to do with the two chaps mentioned above - I don't live anywhere near their dealerships!) 'owed me a favour' after they managed to damage my car during some routine work.  I had wanted to buy some engine oil as well on that visit, but they said that it was almost as cheap to buy the 'taxi kit' off them as it was to buy 5 litres of oil, so I did. 

Denso are part-owned by Toyota, so their parts are usually original equipment. Bosch car parts, when I've used them, seem well made, but sometimes not to the 'clinical' level of the Toyota parts. But apart from their appearance, I've got nothing to back that up. 

The transmission is listed as having 3.4 litres of oil, no question.  I've done oil drains on 2 Aurises (same transmission, same oil quantity) and very carefully measured what came out, which on both occasions was fractionally under 3 litres, despite waiting ages and changing the angle of the car slightly. Putting 3 litres back in, filled it up to the level plug, which the manual says the oil level should be within 10mm of, so that's where I left it!  

But in spite of that, I would buy 4 litres to have at hand.  Ideally you need the two aluminium drain washers as well.  And the fill and drain plugs take a lot of effort to 'crack' them for the first time.  Best to have an attachment for your socket set, rather than a standalone Allen/hex key.  There are some threads on here somewhere about this job, one of them was started by me, I think.  But those last 2 paragraphs are a bit irrelevant if you aren't doing the job yourself!

10 hours ago, Gerg said:

Hi,

While it may not be immediately apparent, Parts-King and Devon Aygo both work in (different) Toyota main dealers, so their recommendations are uncannily accurate and up to date!

I'm not a taxi driver, but when a local Toyota dealer (absolutely nothing to do with the two chaps mentioned above - I don't live anywhere near their dealerships!) 'owed me a favour' after they managed to damage my car during some routine work.  I had wanted to buy some engine oil as well on that visit, but they said that it was almost as cheap to buy the 'taxi kit' off them as it was to buy 5 litres of oil, so I did. 

Denso are part-owned by Toyota, so their parts are usually original equipment.

The transmission is listed as having 3.4 litres of oil, no question.  I've done oil drains on 2 Aurises (same transmission, same oil quantity) and very carefully measured what came out, which on both occasions was fractionally under 3 litres, despite waiting ages and changing the angle of the car slightly. Putting 3 litres back in, filled it up to the level plug, which the manual says the oil level should be within 10mm of, so that's where I left it!  

But in spite of that, I would buy 4 litres to have at hand.  Ideally you need the two aluminium drain washers as well.  And the fill and drain plugs take a lot of effort to 'crack' them for the first time.  Best to have an attachment for your socket set, rather than a standalone Allen/hex key.  There are some threads on here somewhere about this job, one of them was started by me, I think.  But those last 2 paragraphs are a bit irrelevant if you aren't doing the job yourself!

Oooh. £75 isn't so bad then given that the above comes to £66.50 any way

Also thanks for that. Denso say that their Iridium TT plugs are better than regular Iridium, so I'll probably use that. You can get them for under £30 for four, so that isn't so bad! 

56 minutes ago, Gerg said:

x

Given this, I've talked to Toyota RRG Silsden, and when I asked about a Toyota service kit, they say it comes to £67.66 inclusive of VAT which is damn good given that the above comes to £66.49! So I'll just buy it all from Toyota. That includes all the above items you mentioned 

On 12/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, Gerg said:

I think that depends where you are! 

Europe - 60,000 miles

US - 120,000 miles, except:

California - 150,000 miles 

That's as I understand it, anyway. 

Yes, I saw that too, but it's the exact same Denso spark plugs used in the US as here so I'm not sure I understand why. Could it be down to using higher octane fuel in Europe? Regular "gasoline" is only about 90-91 RON in the US, I don't know if higher octane has an effect on durability of plugs.

6 hours ago, QuantumFireball said:

Yes, I saw that too, but it's the exact same Denso spark plugs used in the US as here so I'm not sure I understand why. Could it be down to using higher octane fuel in Europe? Regular "gasoline" is only about 90-91 RON in the US, I don't know if higher octane has an effect on durability of plugs.

Perhaps it's dependent on the climate too? California isn't exactly a cold country. I mean California can be colder than the UK at times, and the UK can be hotter than Texas at times but mostly it's a hot state

The US, and presumably Canada as well, has different service intervals to Europe - every six months or 5,000 miles. From US dealer service schedules I've seen, spark plugs are replaced at 6 years/60,000 miles.

I think the California anomaly is down to stricter state emission legislation.  Every part of the car that affects the car's emission control systems has to be warranted for 150,000 miles.  The Californians always operate more involved regulations than the other states, brought about by the terrible photochemical smogs that the Los Angeles basin was very prone to.

Or something like that.

Also, the American schedule has no brake fluid change interval specified, and every service seems to have a tyre rotation, which never gets a mention any more in this part of the world.  That's what I understand, anyway.

My tyres were rotated the last time I got mine serviced in a Toyota dealer in Ireland. But they also used 5W30 oil...

0w20 is much better oil and best suits your car, next time you can request to the dealer to use 0w20, not for the few penny savings of fuel if any at all but for the best of your engine.