Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor MPG, Fixed.

NorfolkNomad

I bought a 2012 2.0 tourer, great car, no problems apart from the fuel consumption. I struggled to get over 40mpg, anyway Monday I had the EGR valve blanked and deleted and also the DPF bored out and deleted and also an economy map. What a difference it's like a new car, acceleration is much crisper and I don't have to keep dropping out of sixth. Yesterday I drove 256 miles and averaged 54mpg, very happy, well worth the £400 I paid and will pay for it's self in 10 months.

On 12/2/2020 at 7:37 AM, NorfolkNomad said:

I bought a 2012 2.0 tourer, great car, no problems apart from the fuel consumption. I struggled to get over 40mpg, anyway Monday I had the EGR valve blanked and deleted and also the DPF bored out and deleted and also an economy map. What a difference it's like a new car, acceleration is much crisper and I don't have to keep dropping out of sixth. Yesterday I drove 256 miles and averaged 54mpg, very happy, well worth the £400 I paid and will pay for it's self in 10 months.

i would love to do this as i blanked off the egr and put the egr values down using vag com on my 1.9tdi seat but doing this on my 2014 toyota its got 38k on it im not sure as im afraid of it failing the mot 

If the DPF removal is apparent during the MOT, it should be an automatic fail, plus an owner may be liable for up to a £1,000 fine.

• Thanks 1

So, Tom, what are you going to do at MOT time?

• Haha 1

As long as the modifications are not visible, and the car still passes the smoke test then it is unlikely to cause an issue at the MOT. I think my greatest concern would be that it will no longer pass the smoke test. 

Edit: You've probably technically invalidated your insurance however.

• Like 3

That is a good and valid point, Nick.  The car is no longer meeting legal requirements.  Maybe altering the mapping needs to be notified to the insurance company.  Ecery year when I renew my insurance I have to check a box asking have I made any modifications or not.

Basically a check for a DPF is visual. So a DPF removal consists of opening the DPF from the side that cannot be seen, removing all the guts and welding it all back up. The EGR delete can (often) be done via a map, is programmed to stay closed off, however it is sometimes the case that a blanking plate is also needed. I think the blanking plate would only be needed if there is an EGR fault like its not closing fully. I just wonder if a blanking plate would be easy enough to spot?

Both the DPF and EGR reduce fuel consumption, and as they get coked up, fuel consumption gets worse and worse. The insurance point is valid and that is the risk anyone who would get a EGR and especially DPF removal would have to take.

I would think the risk of getting caught out is minimal.

On 12/2/2020 at 7:37 AM, NorfolkNomad said:

My 2011 T27 Tourer 2.0 d4d is returning a terrible 31MPG with a light foot, but i'm only doing short journeys. Even still i expected at least 40MPG. this is the only bad thing I have to say about the car. (other than the multimedia unit)

Definitely considering a remap with a EGR delete.

Did they manage to do the remap over the ODB port or did they have to remove the ECU? Also what was it mapped to ? I believe 152BHP is about the figure?

On 12/5/2020 at 3:34 PM, Catlover said:

That is a good and valid point, Nick.  The car is no longer meeting legal requirements.  Maybe altering the mapping needs to be notified to the insurance company.  Ecery year when I renew my insurance I have to check a box asking have I made any modifications or not.

Hi.

Yes a change of mapping would need to be notified to your insurer.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2020 at 12:48 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

If the DPF removal is apparent during the MOT, it should be an automatic fail, plus an owner may be liable for up to a £1,000 fine.

I so glad you said that lol. I always looking at how to get better mpg out of the old girls...My last one averaged 15 mpg! This one I have now does do better not least cos she has 100k less.! I wont  try this then lol Thanks!! 

On 12/12/2020 at 8:09 PM, Ranoid2000 said:

My 2011 T27 Tourer 2.0 d4d is returning a terrible 31MPG with a light foot, but i'm only doing short journeys. Even still i expected at least 40MPG. this is the only bad thing I have to say about the car. (other than the multimedia unit)

Definitely considering a remap with a EGR delete.

Did they manage to do the remap over the ODB port or did they have to remove the ECU? Also what was it mapped to ? I believe 152BHP is about the figure?

TBH if the fuel consumption is as bad as that then there is probably something else wrong somewhere. Our 2012 90k 2.0 D4D Tourer (with the EGR and DPF both still intact and working normally) manages low 40s on short runs and 50+ on motorway runs without too much trouble.

I remember when "Cathy come home" was 1st on TV in 1966 (apparently resulted in Shelter, Housing charity, starting )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Come_Home

- and recalling this dialogue....

"" No, we'll take the brakes out.

That's what we'll do. We'll take the brakes out.

Take the brakes out?!

Yeah! This bloke, he was telling me. He's a fitter down at the Lotus.

He says you just don't need brakes.

Drive it on the gears. The gears'll stop you.

Brakes spoil a good drive, don't they? They spoil a good engine.   """"

- It didn't end well....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links