Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor urban fuel economy

Merlin5

Hi guys. Mostly I've been doing very short journeys. Such as home to the high street about a mile or so and then home. Or maybe a 3 or 4 mile journey each way. The average fuel consumption is terrible, 23mpg at its lowest so far. I decided to see if there's a fault by resetting the average consumption reading to zero and going on the M25 and driving a few miles. At 56 to 60mph it was sitting at 52mpg which is great.  Getting back home and driving around town on short journeys, over a few days the average mpg went down and down until now where it's sitting around 24.5mpg.

Most of my car usage is around town so this is extremely poor. I mean, considering 52mpg at around 56mph, you'd think that even on short journeys at between 20 and 40mph I'd be getting somewhere in the 30's. Is this the same for everyone else with a 1.6 TR? I think my engine says vvt-i on it.

I find mine very thirsty too. Just make sure you're not carrying unnecessary weight in your car and keep your tyres at right PSI to do your bit for the MPG. Has it been serviced regularly?

• Thanks 1

Hi, 

that’s pretty normal I think. For that type of journeys you made average around 30s to 40s can be only in hot summer days but this time of the year it’s impossible , at the moment is even worse, freezing cold outside not typical for Uk winters. If cars are all serviced, tyres are all set correct pressure there is nothing to worry about. You may want to put some petrol injector cleaner into the tank this will help a bit with consumption and will clean the internals plus stabilise the fuel. Redux red bottle does a great job. 👍🚗

• Thanks 1

Just now, MrZardoz said:

I find mine very thirsty too. Just make sure you're not carrying unnecessary weight in your car and keep your tyres at right PSI to do your bit for the MPG. Has it been serviced regularly?

Well there's nothing in the boot apart from a blanket and a few empty reusable tesco shopping bags. I've been pumping my tyres to 32 front and back as I believe that's what it recommends, I'll have to go check if they've gone down. But I'm wondering if I'd get better MPG at around 35 or 36 PSI?

It's not been serviced yet but seems to run fine and I bought it in April on 97,000 miles and haven't done much more than about 1500 miles.

What sort of MPG are you getting?

Just now, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

that’s pretty normal I think. For that type of journeys you made average around 30s to 40s can be only in hot summer days but this time of the year it’s impossible , at the moment is even worse, freezing cold outside not typical for Uk winters. If cars are all serviced, tyres are all set correct pressure there is nothing to worry about. You may want to put some petrol injector cleaner into the tank this will help a bit with consumption and will clean the internals plus stabilise the fuel. Redux red bottle does a great job. 👍🚗

Hi Tony, thanks for the advice.  Is this the stuff and do I pour about a quarter of a bottle (125ml) into the fuel tank each time over four fill ups? It says it has 4 shots.

I must say, the reviews say it's very good for fuel saving.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/fuel-and-oil-additives/redex-petrol-injector-cleaner-500ml-411744.html?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=367c5610-f937-4c81-8609-f84582324cd6&istItemId=xxiitp&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:865695751|agid:43902126615|tid:aud-490614416638:pla-327721642533|crid:202397318373|nw:g|rnd:5184432216183059453|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:9045959&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-BRD0ARIsAJuNhpuui_Ej3kK_HkYfMwY5cGcdguqOMNPS7jlAjnavT41h7nJw3kwSHWkaAv7SEALw_wcB

10 minutes ago, Merlin5 said:

Hi guys. Mostly I've been doing very short journeys. Such as home to the high street about a mile or so and then home. Or maybe a 3 or 4 mile journey each way. The average fuel consumption is terrible, 23mpg at its lowest so far. I decided to see if there's a fault by resetting the average consumption reading to zero and going on the M25 and driving a few miles. At 56 to 60mph it was sitting at 52mpg which is great.  Getting back home and driving around town on short journeys, over a few days the average mpg went down and down until now where it's sitting around 24.5mpg.

Most of my car usage is around town so this is extremely poor. I mean, considering 52mpg at around 56mph, you'd think that even on short journeys at between 20 and 40mph I'd be getting somewhere in the 30's. Is this the same for everyone else with a 1.6 TR? I think my engine says vvt-i on it.

For short journeys started from cold I actually reckon that's not too bad. Years ago I had a 1.6 petrol Fiat that would get about 16 MPG under those conditions! My old Citroen Xantia 1.9 diesel would get around 25 MPG on the same run. Short runs in cold weather absolutely kills MPG.

• Thanks 1

Just now, yossarian247 said:

For short journeys started from cold I actually reckon that's not too bad. Years ago I had a 1.6 petrol Fiat that would get about 16 MPG under those conditions! My old Citroen Xantia 1.9 diesel would get around 25 MPG on the same run.

Yes I would agree for those short journeys that’s about right just in case make sure the thermostat is working properly radiator top hose should be cold until thermostat opens that redex fuel system cleaner is much cheaper from euro car parts.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Merlin5 said:

Yes, this one works great. I use 250ml bottles usually Wilko sells them half price often, and yes 125ml for a full tank then drive till two bars of fuel left, add another 125ml and fill up again. I do use it from time to time, recently noticed a lots of knocks on cold start and I use some of this , no knocks anymore and the car drives much better, Shell petrol not good at all. BP and Tesco seems better quality IMO in my area. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much guys. I'm disappointed and happy at the same time. Disappointed at the poor consumption but happy this is normal and not a fault! 😁

Yeah Tony, I always fill up at my local Tesco, it's the cheapest around as well.  

Rosgoe, thanks, Europarts is doing 500ml for £4.99 compared to Halfords £8.49.  Tony, Wilko is £4 for 250ml, so Europarts wins and I can click and collect from my local store next day.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links