Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla (2019 onwards) spare wheel

Micken

Just had a look at the new corolla in my local showroom, there is only room for a space saver spare wheel in the boot wheel well, looked at the Nissan Micra in a Nissan showroom yesterday, there was room in the boot wheel well for a full size spare wheel. both cars had a puncture repair kit as standard, why cant manufactures have a full size wheel well in all their cars so customers can if needed install a full size spare wheel.

I would probably suggest that a minority of customers bother with a full size spare - accommodation for a space saver being sufficient for the majority.

The Micra is based on the current Renault Clio, which is now quite an old design dating back to 2012,  which may explain the larger well, as full sized spares were more common then. The current Micra is built by Renault for Nissan, is in the market sector below the Corolla and competes with the Yaris/Fiesta/Corsa/etc.!

Moved to the Corolla club

16 minutes ago, Micken said:

Just had a look at the new corolla in my local showroom, there is only room for a space saver spare wheel in the boot wheel well,

was it a hybrid? even if not the fact that there are will have impacted on the car's design - usually  the space required for the drive Battery means less space for other things e.g. a full size spare.

I must admit that I have used my spare only a few times in the last 10 years so quite happy with a spacesaver whereas I am not happy with a tyre repair kit.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Last time we used a spare on either of our cars was 2005.

• Like 1

My Avensis Tourer had a space saver spare which I replaced with a Full size spare, in 2013  had a puncture in Belgium on a Sunday, emptied the boot changed the wheel got to Calais on time for the ferry,  not having a proper spare can be a problem for some drivers, the Corolla I saw was a hybrid with the usual tyre repair kit in polystyrene filling the wheel well, I  was told there were no batteries in or under the boot and that the non hybrid wheel well could only accommodate a space saver.

• Like 1

... but the Avensis dates back to 2009, so is an even older design than the Clio.

I am just saying some drivers need a proper spare wheel, and should have the choice of buying a full size as an accessory, the previous Auris estate had room for a full size spare.

• Like 1

I doubt whether there is sufficient demand for that amongst new car buyers. 

50 minutes ago, Micken said:

I am just saying some drivers need a proper spare wheel,

Nothing to stop you doing that but you will lose boot space. All that a spacesaver does is restrict you to 50mph.

All the manufacturers are working to decrease weight (& improve packaging) because not only does it affect how the cars are taxed individually in certain markets but the manufacturers get penalised (sometimes £1000s per vehicle!) if they don't meet fleetwide legislated targets. They are under pressure to add more safety kit to get good NCAP ratings but that kit  adds weight. Similarly if you order a car with a panoramic roof it will come with a TRK as the glass roof weighs more than the standard steel & why EPBs are becoming prevalent (they save weight & space).

In the good old days all new cars were supplied with a full size spare wheel and had the same quality radial ply tyres that are on todays cars, it only took 15 minutes to change a punctured tyre, now with today's cars without a spare its a breakdown, and using a space saver with a fully loaded car there is nowhere in the car to put the punctured wheel,

• Like 1

That's the way it is ....

• Sad 1

There's been controversy over space saver spare wheels in cars for years now.

It is ultimately a cost saving for the manufacturer and is only supposed to be used to get you to a tyre repair shop.

However driving with a space saver at 50 mph on a motorway is thought to be more dangerous due to the slower speed being maintained and greater chance of being rear ended.  It depends on what level of risk a driver with family etc wants to accept to get a puncture on a wheel fixed.

• Like 1

Hi we took out the new Toyota Corolla 2.0 for a test drive last week and we loved the drive. So we went to place the order for a Corolla Excel 2.0 in Bi tone red then the dealer said no spare wheel comes with the Excel hatchback even though there is space for a spare. The dealer said if we order a Corolla Design model or lower models in Corolla you can have a choice of a tyre repair kit or a space saver. We even tried the parts department and we found no spare wheel available. We have contacted Toyota asking if we could order or in the Corolla at a later date a spare wheel will be a option at a later date and the answer no as this will change the CO2 emissions because of weight. Which we can not understand as you can have a panoramic glass roof as a option which weighs more heavy than a spare wheel kit. So at the moment we walked away from the Toyota dealership without ordering a new corolla as we wanted a spare wheel get even from the parts department.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leo63 said:

.... and the answer no as this will change the CO2 emissions because of weight.

Which is the case with some other manufacturers/models.

The Corolla Excel with panoramic roof is listed as a separate model to the Excel.

3 hours ago, Leo63 said:

Hi we took out the new Toyota Corolla 2.0 for a test drive last week and we loved the drive. So we went to place the order for a Corolla Excel 2.0 in Bi tone red then the dealer said no spare wheel comes with the Excel hatchback even though there is space for a spare. The dealer said if we order a Corolla Design model or lower models in Corolla you can have a choice of a tyre repair kit or a space saver. We even tried the parts department and we found no spare wheel available. We have contacted Toyota asking if we could order or in the Corolla at a later date a spare wheel will be a option at a later date and the answer no as this will change the CO2 emissions because of weight. Which we can not understand as you can have a panoramic glass roof as a option which weighs more heavy than a spare wheel kit. So at the moment we walked away from the Toyota dealership without ordering a new corolla as we wanted a spare wheel get even from the parts department.

Hi Leo, welcome to TOC 🙂

I believe that they moved the Battery to the boot on the 2.0 as not enough space under the bonnet. If there is definitely still enough space for a spare I am sure that you will be able to order a wheel separately (they have to be able to for road damaged ones - a full oe alloy will be expensive though, a spacesaver less so). Yes, the car can't be supplied with it as it won't be homologated with it & the system will say that there isn't one listed for it (because it isn't homologated with) but you just need to find someone who knows how to work the system - I went through it all with my 2012 Avensis T-Spirit which came with a panoramic roof & therefore a TRK (if you check any Toyota that comes with a panoramic roof will come with a TRK to keep the weight & therefore emissions down).  Suffice to say that I managed to source not only the spacesaver but the different boot foam tray etc. etc.

I have just downloaded the Corolla Australia specs, most of the range has a space saver one has a full size alloy spare, see attachment, looks like there is a demand for a standard spare out there, but not here,  The problem is every few years the EU keeps lowering or proposing lower emission targets for car manufacturers, it seems lowering the cars weight is one of the methods they use. deleting a spare wheel and having a smaller wheel well using  less steel, saves weight which lowers the co2 emissions, the average car buyer just sees a shiny new car and doesn't look for the spare wheel until they have a puncture, I first noticed this about 10 years ago when looking for a new car, most cars I was looking at had a space saver or no spare, then found the Avensis Tourer which had room for a full size spare.

toyota corolla_hatch_australia spec_data_Aug2018.pdf

Comparing what is available in Australia, which will have different requirements to Europe, isn't relevant. For example, some Australians living outside urban areas may need to travel good  distances to reach a tyre fitting centre, so a full size spare may be essential for them. Generally, we don't have the same issues in the UK.

Corollas built for Australia and New Zealand will come from Japan, as Australia no longer has an indigenous car manufacturing industry, so there may be differences to the European built versions.

I would dispute the claim that the average new car buyer doesn't look whether they have a spare wheel. We've had space savers in all of our new cars since at least 2000 (11 out of 21 new cars), and always been aware of what equipment the car has/doesn't have.

You only have to search on the internet, no spare wheel,  to find lots of motorists complaining where is my spare wheel or the repair kit doesn't work after having a puncture in their car, they clearly weren't aware there was no spare wheel in their car. The motorists requirements in Europe used to be a full size spare wheel until about 10 years ago, so how does the majority of motorists now don't want or need a spare wheel , If its weight saving or cost by the manufacturers causing no spare wheel, I would rather they delete some other item on the car in favour of a proper spare.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Micken said:

You only have to search on the internet, no spare wheel,  to find lots of motorists complaining where is my spare wheel or the repair kit doesn't work after having a puncture in their car, they clearly weren't aware there was no spare wheel in their car. The motorists requirements in Europe used to be a full size spare wheel until about 10 years ago, so how does the majority of motorists now don't want or need a spare wheel , If its weight saving or cost by the manufacturers causing no spare wheel, I would rather they delete some other item on the car in favour of a proper spare.

Maybe, but that doesn't substantiate the comment about 'the average new car buyer just sees a shiny new car and doesn't search for a spare wheel until they have a puncture'.

As regards the requirement of European motorists, the majority just require a spare wheel - full stop.

None of this discussion is going to change anything. Cars will continue to have either space savers or tyre repair kits - and for some models owners can substitute a space saver for the tyre repair kit (as we did with our Aygo).

Manufacturers have been using space savers to reduce cost and weight for at least 20 years - the Corolla 1.3GS we bought new in February 1998 came with a space saver.

Spare wheels aren't the only cost/weight saving measure manufacturers are using across the board. It is now common for interior surfaces which aren't on view, to have no top coat of paint or lacquer. Same with engine bays, etc.

• Like 1

Looks like I will have to buy an Australian import to get a proper spare on my next car.

OK.

Hi yes there is  space for a space saver wheel kit in the 2.0 Corolla hatchback next to the Battery the boot space in 2.0 boot floor is about 4 inches higher level with the bumper. The dealer as a Corolla Design 2.0 demo car  with a space saver kit or you can order a tyre repair kit which there is no difference in cost. But there is no spare wheel kit available to buy from the parts department at the moment. The dealer thinks it will be available at a later date like you can now buy for the CHR which is about £340. So you get with the Corolla Excel is a large void next to the Battery and a tyre repair kit only with no jack or wheel brace. 

9 hours ago, Leo63 said:

But there is no spare wheel kit available to buy from the parts department at the moment. The dealer thinks it will be available at a later date like you can now buy for the CHR which is about £340. So you get with the Corolla Excel is a large void next to the battery and a tyre repair kit only with no jack or wheel brace. 

Other than any foam holder/tray that may be used I strongly suspect that (unless you are going for a full OE alloy) the spare, jack etc. will be common to other Toyota cars e.g. Auris/Avensis.

• 6 months later...

Right, I picked up my 2.0l Excel on Friday, having declined the dealers offer or providing and accommodating a space-saver (which the 2.0l Design and below can have) for the princely sum of £640 😮.  At the time of their kind offer, I had assumed that, costs of the spare aside (around £200 or so?) there would be some work necessary to convert the boot space, perhaps removing plastic trim panels etc. etc., and we all know what labour rates at main dealers are like.  I decided I'd wait and see for myself.  Well, I have to say that having seen what is currently fitted, the price quoted seems a little on the high side! A point the salesman agreed with, as it happens.

All that is in the area that the spare would occupy is a large tray moulded from expanded polystyrene, and alongside a smaller one with the TRK in.  Admittedly, once removed there doesn't appear to be a captive nut for securing the spare retaining bolt to. Photos below:

48846736237_c2700421fc_c.jpgCorolla Excel boot by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

48846543796_1d623238e4_c.jpgCorolla Excel boot by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

48846543791_2e52398650_c.jpgCorolla Excel boot by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

So, can somebody please share with me what is in the boot area of a 2.0l WITH a space saver, so I can see how it's fitted, and what I was being asked to pay so much for? Meantime, if I do  any longer journey I'll just wrap the spare and tools in some old removals blankets to stop them rattling, and wedge them in the hole 😎

Hi we wanted the 2.0 Excel  but we couldn't get a spare wheel kit. So we ordered a 2.0 Design with pan roof and a spare wheel. I hope the pictures  help. 

20191006_172108.jpg

20191006_172051.jpg

20191006_172202.jpg