Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Range drops every time I refuel

EcoDriver85

Bought a brand new 70plate 1.8 C-HR end of September.  First time I filled up the tank the range computer gave me 508 miles.  Next time I filled up it said 500miles.  Third time I filled up it said 492miles, then 480 and now 462.

In just over 2 months a full tank of fuel now gives me 48miles less than when it was brand new.

How is this so?

How has fuel consumption been affected. Falling temperatures will have an adverse effect on mpg.

I can't say I've paid that much attention to MPG to be honest, I just fill the fuel tank up to brim, drive then refill.  The milage range calculator on my dash is pretty accurate so I guess MPG has dropped by circa 40miles per tank in 2 months

It is a calculated range so dont make too much problems of it. With lower temperatures, more use of heating an AC the MPG will be a bit more.. 

Best is to calculate the MPG yourself when just filled up. That makes much more sense as looking what the car tells you about range and MPG.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 11:22 PM, EcoDriver85 said:

Bought a brand new 70plate 1.8 C-HR end of September.  First time I filled up the tank the range computer gave me 508 miles.  Next time I filled up it said 500miles.  Third time I filled up it said 492miles, then 480 and now 462.

In just over 2 months a full tank of fuel now gives me 48miles less than when it was brand new.

How is this so?

Outside temperatures affect the mpg generally the lower temperatures return lower mpgs

I concur.  My consumption has dropped from the advertised high 60s to mid 55s.  The other thing to bear in mind is as you become more accustomed to the car your driving style may have reverted to older habits.  

That’s normal, it’s winter and it’s cold. You will see better numbers after temperature goes up, April onwards. 👍🚗