Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ambient lighting

Rosgoe

Was going to put this under corolla niggles but someone might not see it. Drove the car for first time in the dark when you put the car into drive ambient lighting goes off ( the front tray, cup holders, and the door lights the ones under the handle to shut the door) this seems a bit pointless to me as I do not find it a distraction which I assume is why they turn off. Have looked in Manuel and it looks like the only feature to alter them is either on or off by the dealers.

This seems a bit odd, but mine did that initially. 

However,  they are now on all the time but subdued in drive I think, then putting into P increases intensity.

No idea why, but it does seem they are on low as I pointed it out to my other half.

I think initially on getting the car, I was obviously acclimatising, and didn't notice they actually dimmed

Morning all.

I'm new to this forum and new to Toyota, I got a GR Sport estate on Thursday, from the price and specification list my car should have ambient lighting, unless I've misunderstood. There is no ambient lighting though, can you physically see bulbs or a lighting strip in the areas where they should be? I can't see anything on mine.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Beta said:

Morning all.

I'm new to this forum and new to Toyota, I got a GR Sport estate on Thursday, from the price and specification list my car should have ambient lighting, unless I've misunderstood. There is no ambient lighting though, can you physically see bulbs or a lighting strip in the areas where they should be? I can't see anything on mine.

Thanks

Ambient lighting on a UK spec Corolla is only Standard on Excel and MY21 Design it is not fitted to GR Sports

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply but according to the price and specification list the hatch back GR Sport does not have ambient lighting but the estate does, it's on page 20. Mine should also have a leather style armrest and luggage utility rails but it's not got those either.

I've had a look on the Toyota site for you and I cannot see ambient lighting mentioned for the GR sport TS. It says fabric armrest. I am looking under styling. 

If you go into the Excel specs, it says leather like arm rests and blue ambient lighting front and rear doors. I only saw luggage rails for Excel.

Maybe the spec booklet you have is not UK? Did you get it from the dealer where you bought your car? If so, best query with them. But the Toyota sales site seems to be consistent with what you have.

4 minutes ago, Timmon said:

I've had a look on the Toyota site for you and I cannot see ambient lighting mentioned for the GR sport TS. It says fabric armrest. I am looking under styling. 

If you go into the Excel specs, it says leather like arm rests and blue ambient lighting front and rear doors. I only saw luggage rails for Excel.

Maybe the spec booklet you have is not UK? Did you get it from the dealer where you bought your car? If so, best query with them. But the Toyota sales site seems to be consistent with what you have.

Thanks for looking, I've downloaded the specs as a pdf from toyota.co.uk, it's under brochures and price lists, the GR Sport hatchback does not have these items but the estate does. Pages 20 and 22.Corolla_Price_List_Spec_&_Equipment_tcm-3060-1959544 (10).pdf

The link does not load, but the spec sheets may be out of date. For example, I can't look at the web site to see the specs for my car, they all changed 12 months ago.  But an old brochure would tell me what I have. The web site is the one to go by, if you have just picked up your new car. 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/brochures-pricelists

The spec list is dated May 2020, I downloaded before I ordered the car and I've checked today and it's still the current one, thanks for looking anyway. It's not a big deal and I only asked as another thread mentioned that the ambient lighting can be turned on or off but only by a dealer and I thought the dealer may have turned mine off.

4 hours ago, Beta said:

Morning all.

Thanks

Don’t worry you haven’t missed anything I’ve got ambient lighting it only comes on when you start car or open either front doors when you put it into drive or reverse the lights dim to the point you can hardly see them.

wished now I had gone for the design model now and saved a whole lot of money As I don’t think the excel is worth the extra outlay for what you get.

4 hours ago, Beta said:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/brochures-pricelists

The spec list is dated May 2020, I downloaded before I ordered the car and I've checked today and it's still the current one, thanks for looking anyway. It's not a big deal and I only asked as another thread mentioned that the ambient lighting can be turned on or off but only by a dealer and I thought the dealer may have turned mine off.

Unfortunately, Toyota are not that good at updating these brochures. Added to which a lot of info on the web is confusing because it refers to specs available in other countries. When the Corolla was launched, some of the reviews by the UK mags included the wrong specs. I thought my car would have a 1st "launch" gear before the CVT cut in, thanks to reviews I read. So I understand your confusion, but made worse by the incorrect brochure from Toyota themselves. Looking at the brochure, and the fact you effectively ordered your car and chose your preferred model from the brochure, if it was me, I'd take it up with Toyota to be honest. As Rosgoe says, you are not really missing much, the ambient lighting is fairly underwhelming, but added to the leather like arm rests etc, I can see you may well feel a bit short changed as a matter of principle.

2 hours ago, Timmon said:

Unfortunately, Toyota are not that good at updating these brochures. Added to which a lot of info on the web is confusing because it refers to specs available in other countries. When the Corolla was launched, some of the reviews by the UK mags included the wrong specs. I thought my car would have a 1st "launch" gear before the CVT cut in, thanks to reviews I read. So I understand your confusion, but made worse by the incorrect brochure from Toyota themselves. Looking at the brochure, and the fact you effectively ordered your car and chose your preferred model from the brochure, if it was me, I'd take it up with Toyota to be honest. As Rosgoe says, you are not really missing much, the ambient lighting is fairly underwhelming, but added to the leather like arm rests etc, I can see you may well feel a bit short changed as a matter of principle.

Thanks Timmon for having a look and giving your opinion, you've proved I've not gone mad and imagined it, the problem is I'm not confused I chose this car based on Toyota's published specification not on something I'd read, may or may not be wrong, in a magazine. I don't think trading standards would be as forgiving as you.

I got the specs from toyota.co.uk they should not include specs from other countries on there, as for updating the info that's bang out of order, there will be someone today considering a Corolla and will order based on the published specs, as published today. Today it says the Corolla GR Sport estate comes with ambient lighting, leather arm rest and luggage utility rails, and has done since May 2020, mine does not.

I'm going to ring the dealer tomorrow, I originally asked it there are any bulbs or light strips visible to see if mine were just turned off by the dealer, the spec does say my car has them.

• Like 2

Virtually all manufacturers, including Toyota, have disclaimers on their brochures, specification lists, etc, where they reserve the right to make changes to vehicles specs without notice, and that these documents are not infallible. In the case of the May 2020 specification list linked to, the declaration is on the last page. So it could well be that specs have been changed since this price and spec list was published.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 11:53 AM, Beta said:

Morning all.

Thanks

I picked up my GR Sport Estate this afternoon and my wife asked me about this as well. Having checked the printed brochure given to us and latest online brochure - they are very misleading, because according to the brochures, the GR Sport does suppose to have ambient lighting included because of the wordings. We checked with the sales person and we were lead to believe that the GR Sports would include the standard features in the Design. But having double checked comparisons between the different models on the Toyota website, the ambient lighting are only included in the Design and Excel but NOT the GR Sport which is rather disappointing. Felt like being ripped off a bit as paid a little more for the GR Sport but some basic Standard features had been taken off? According to the latest brochures both printed and online, the GR Sport has these MAIN FEATURES (ADDITIONAL TO DESIGN GRADE).

GR SPORT Grade Standard
— 18" machined-face alloy wheels*
— GR SPORT styling (exterior and interior) — Head Up Display (HUD)
— Sport seat with partial leather
— 3D colour multi-information display

DESIGN Grade Standard
— 17" machined-face alloy wheels
— Black fabric with synthetic leather* — Automatic folding door mirrors
— Automatic wipers
— Automatic dimming rear-view mirror — Privacy glass on rear windows
— Interior ambient lighting*

* Not available on Saloon

I am sure my wife will take his matter with the sales person at the Toyota dealer tomorrow and good luck to him lol.

The ambient lighting in the design model is underwhelming.

There is a blue led at the bottom of one of the central cup holders and there is a blue led above the driver door bin. These blue leds are barely on. There might be others, the lighting is so subtle it is hard to tell.

I also think it might also only come on when the engine is not started.

I wish I’d gone for the GR Sport over the design - had I realised it came with those 18in wheels. I think the £1600 extra over design for better display, more supportive seats, HUD, the styling bits (and the option of that GR-specific grey paint) is well worth it. 

the ambient lighting looks great when you first open the car at night, but dims down to almost off when driving 

Yeah, that’s why I went for the GR Sport over the Design.

55 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

I wish I’d gone for the GR Sport over the design - had I realised it came with those 18in wheels. I think the £1600 extra over design for better display, more supportive seats, HUD, the styling bits (and the option of that GR-specific grey paint) is well worth it. 

the ambient lighting looks great when you first open the car at night, but dims down to almost off when driving 

Few people complain about gr and excel sport seats been too hard, and they do look hard to me tbh, also a friend of mine told me that these seats are blocking his side view over shoulder when changing lanes on motorway,.  plus the 18” wheels has a harder drive and more noise + more expensive tyres. I would love to have excel specs with 17” and seats from trek or design. , ambient lights are cool but not must have extra, where folding mirrors, auto dimming rear view mirror, reversing camera and smart entry are really useful to me👍 but you know each to their own 😊

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Few people complain about gr and excel sport seats been too hard, and they do look hard to me tbh, also a friend of mine told me that these seats are blocking his side view over shoulder when changing lanes on motorway,.  plus the 18” wheels has a harder drive and more noise + more expensive tyres. I would love to have excel specs with 17” and seats from trek or design. 👍 but you know each to their own 😊

My wife said the same thing…lol

Although, she didn’t have those experiences when test driving the GR Sport though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Few people complain about gr and excel sport seats been too hard, and they do look hard to me tbh, also a friend of mine told me that these seats are blocking his side view over shoulder when changing lanes on motorway,.  plus the 18” wheels has a harder drive and more noise + more expensive tyres. I would love to have excel specs with 17” and seats from trek or design. , ambient lights are cool but not must have extra, where folding mirrors, auto dimming rear view mirror, reversing camera and smart entry are really useful to me👍 but you know each to their own 😊

Thanks Tony - there’s definitely a message of ‘be pleased with what you have’ in there - and I am. Especially after an hour of washing, removing tar, IRON-X, colinite wax. . . It looks stunning, just like new! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

alloys are 17 inch on the TS but 18 inch on the hatchback. I believe it's at least in part to reduce road noise (from the back end due to the tonneau cover being less insulating than the normal parcel shelf?).

On 10/23/2021 at 6:11 PM, Yorkie21 said:

Alloys are 17 inch on the TS but 18 inch on the hatchback. I believe it's at least in part to reduce road noise (from the back end due to the tonneau cover being less insulating than the normal parcel shelf?).

17in unless you spec the 2.0, which unlocks an upgrade to 18s on both the GR Sport and Excel TS models. Must be due to emissions.