Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

93 Corolla 4A-FE running very cold

NeilMH

I have 3 E10 Corollas (amazing but true!) all with 4A-FE 1.6 engines. I know the weather is cold but one of them is now showing very low engine temperature when on longer runs - i.e. between the bottom line and the first line on the gauge. The others both show higher readings (between 1/3 and just below centre) in exactly the same conditions. Is that anything to be concerned about or is it just likely to be a deteriorating sensor through age? I realise that running cold is a lot better than being too hot. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that could be more serious.

Usually this is down to the thermostat failing open, typified by taking longer to warm up from cold, obviously on a long run the airflow will exceed any fan capacity. 

It can be down to a sensor issue too, but generally mechanical stats fail first 🙂

Thank you frizzbee30 - I'll have to keep an eye on that and will probably get it changed as a precaution.

• 3 months later...

Just an update. It did turn out to be a lazy thermostat as predicted by frizzbee30. Having replaced it, the temp gauge now heads to the centre point and stays there.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links