Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2ww engine high oil consumption

aurellijus

I have Toyota avensis 2015 2ww engine and it consumes a lot of oil, around 1ltr every 2k miles. Any one got same issue? I contacted Toyota and they said it is normal for this engine to consume up to 1ltr per 1k miles.

IIrc the 2WW is the BMW N47 yes they do burn oil (500ml in 1k is about right) if its up in the miles the oil control rings are probably worn or clogged up

What is the mileage of your car ? My 2016 2WW burns virtually no oil between services at 50K miles. 0.5L / K sounds excessive to me.

1 hour ago, ighaig said:

What is the mileage of your car ? My 2016 2WW burns virtually no oil between services at 50K miles. 0.5L / K sounds excessive to me.

BMW US quote 1qt per 750 miles - EU spec is 0.7L/1000km (700ml per 620 miles) not sure if Toyota have their own specs for the 2WW

edit, oil dilution or cheap oil can make it burn oil, stick to the recommended oils if you doing town/city driving you nay only get 6-7k miles before it need an oil change

• 5 months later...

Car manufacturers started using thinner oil rings on the pistons, switching to 1.5mm or more will eliminate the oil burning if everything else in order.

• 2 years later...

if I replace the thicker oil rings, do the pistons need to be reworked as well...
I assume that the pistons have notches for thinner oil rings and that without reworking the pistons wider oil rings would not fit!

or?

Was it serviced, like clockwork, every year since 2016? 

Was the correct Toyota oil used?  

Engines like this one are living proof that 'same grade, same stuff' doesn't apply.  Whilst the oil might be the same viscosity and whatnot, the additives very much DO matter for the likes of the piston rings. I reckon for this particular delicate flower of a BMW engine, anything but the 'genuine' stuff is needed if it is to last. 

All of the folks who got a million miles from their Honda/Toyotas did one thing: genuine parts, following the service schedule like it was the Bible. 

@dadac0 , I suspect the amount of labour and work to get into the piston rings might mean that if you're going to do it, you might as well replace or recondition or tidy up the pistons and surrounding parts.  All car companies have those silly clauses in the owners manuals to cover their back.  Most engines do leak oil from European car brands, and with this being a BMW engine, also more likely. I think in Japan the legislation and punishment for cars freely leaking oil onto public roads is taken more seriously - if Scotty Kilmer is to be believed (although he would disagree with me saying above that not all graded oil is the same).  

I had a 2005 Fiat Panda and from 2015-2019 when I owned it, not only did it not even turn the oil colour from a small shade darker of honey gold to brown (not black) but it never leaked a drop. Did have to replace a bottom end seal but at around 12 years old that wasn't too bad. Remained bone dry from then on. It can be done on an older car.