Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Gearbox Problem

Milky Bar Kid 1001

Hi has anyone else had any issues with their IQ gearbox? My Mum has 2009 ('59) IQ3 1.33 Manual with 58,500 miles on the clock.

I drove it today with seemed to crunch when down changing from 4th to 3rd. It's fine going up from 2nd to 3rd. There's no issue with the clutch being high (no slipping or high biting point). It only really used around town with the occasional longer motorway/ high speed trips.

Has anyone else experienced this or know of any known faults or recalls for example regarding this issue. I'm a mechanic but not come across this issue before.

Thanks for any advice

Hi Might be worth changing the oil with the correct spec which is 75w FE, Maybe its been changed in the past by a garage and the wrong spec used? I hate to think what some garages use but i do know these gearboxes don't change gear very well with the wrong oil especially when cold as i found out.

1 hour ago, stemon said:

Hi Might be worth changing the oil with the correct spec which is 75w FE, Maybe its been changed in the past by a garage and the wrong spec used? I hate to think what some garages use but i do know these gearboxes don't change gear very well with the wrong oil especially when cold as i found out.

So 75w90 is wrong? I saw that on some webpages but i wasnt sure. Wouldn't the 2 oils be the same at cold where 75 counts?

To be honest you would think being 75w90 at cold it should be the same as 75w, But i experienced harder gear changes with just 75w80 when i tried it.

I use to just use any gear oil in my cars without caring but the IQ for me was much better with the Toyota recommended grade of 75w.

Are you running 75w90? how is it for you? maybe in a warmer climate 75w90 may be ok?

Update, Ive just noticed the 75w80 i used was API GL-5 which may have been why the gear changes were harder as toyota recommend GL4

GL5 can damage some gearboxes ive just read. I am stupid some times 🙂

11 hours ago, stemon said:

To be honest you would think being 75w90 at cold it should be the same as 75w, But i experienced harder gear changes with just 75w80 when i tried it.

I use to just use any gear oil in my cars without caring but the IQ for me was much better with the Toyota recommended grade of 75w.

Are you running 75w90? how is it for you? maybe in a warmer climate 75w90 may be ok?

Update, Ive just noticed the 75w80 i used was API GL-5 which may have been why the gear changes were harder as toyota recommend GL4

GL5 can damage some gearboxes ive just read. I am stupid some times 🙂

Yo stemon,

I am using GL4 75w90 which is better overall except when cold , 1st gear is harder to disengage unless you reach 3-3.5k rpm. Other than thand everything is going fantastic. Reverse was hard before and now its smooth as butter.  I need to change the clutch kit as well because of vibration at 2k RPM (typical issue) so I  dont know if it was wrong changing the fluid. But nevertheless it can be changed again no worries. Maybe I will go with toyota recommended oil at a local toyota dealer , now i changed it myself it was pretty easy

The car has been dealer serviced for first three years of its warranty and then serviced by me (I'm a mechanic so doing the jobs aren't an issue) and the car has never had anything done to the gearbox ie oil changes so it'll be running the original oil from factory.