Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris TS or Avensis (2012/2013)

testbil

Hi! 

I want to buy a Toyota as a family car. We have tried and we all have room in the Auris TS but thinking of buying a Avensis. 

A 2012-2013 Avensis sometimes sell for almost the same as a 2012-2013 Avensis. Why is that? Is the Avensis more modern/updated? 

What pros and cons are there with buying the Avensis (combi) vs the Auris TS?

Looking for a petrol car from 2012-2014 that will serve as a car for trips on weekends and in the summer. No commute for work! 

buy a avensis 2.0d4d go for a 2014 get the £30  road tax .great car apart from the epb lol thats coming from a car with a real handbrake that is .the 2.0d4d engine is better tbh 

9 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

buy a avensis 2.0d4d go for a 2014 get the £30  road tax

Bear in mind that the car tax system underwent a review in the summer, so expect changes in the next few months.

• Like 1

Thank you. 

I live in Sweden so don't know if we might have different tax here. There is a debate wether to buy diesel or petrol here..

Hi, either of them can do the job but do not buy diesel, diesels Toyotas are not real Toyota, but troublesome cars like any other brand., the read deal is to buy hybrid Toyota if you can, if you driving only occasionally petrol only will suit your needs. I personally think Avensis is better car than this generation Auris., better design inside, better materials and little bit more room. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, either of them can do the job but do not buy diesel, diesels Toyotas are not real Toyota, but troublesome cars like any other brand., the read deal is to buy hybrid Toyota if you can, if you driving only occasionally petrol only will suit your needs. I personally think Avensis is better car than this generation Auris., better design inside, better materials and little bit more room. 👍

Thank you! I don't know if there's any Avensis hybrids those years that we are looking at (2012-2014). But i think we'll go for petrol if not so.. 

No Avensis hybrids at all.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:10 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

But there is, I think an Avensis Muultidrive auto from about 2014 which is an excellent auto giving superb petrol fuel consumption.

From HJ...

"A further four per cent improvement in fuel economy has been realised through extensive revisions to the Multidrive S continuously variable transmission available with the 1.8 and 2.0-litre engines. These include a new torque converter, continuously variable unit, oil pump, reduction and differential gears, hydraulic control unit and CVT fluid warmer.

The CVT control logic has also been adjusted to reduce engine revving at medium throttle settings, more closely matching engine speed to throttle inputs, like a conventional automatic transmission."

That’s right, no Avensis hybrid but there are good automatics cvt only, not the other type with gears, these are no go. My choice will be Avensis estate 1.8 petrol manual or automatic cvt. I would not look at diesel at all and Auris considering only if it’s a hybrid. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

2 hours ago, john p williams said:

But there is, I think an Avensis Muultidrive auto from about 2014

The term Multidrive refers to the transmission - CVT - not to the powertrain, which was either petrol or diesel.

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The term Multidrive refers to the transmission - CVT - not to the powertrain, which was either petrol or diesel.

I did know that FB. The OP wanted petrol and I thought that the Multidrive transmission was only available with a Petrol powertrain.

I have it in my 2011 Yars and it is excellent.

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Bear in mind that the car tax system underwent a review in the summer, so expect changes in the next few months.

if the car has £30 tax and other cars as my older one was £150  when u say tax is changing its for newer cars is it .should £30 car tax cars be that for ever as long as have the car lasts .thats the reason why i bought that year was for the cheaper tax 

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s right, no Avensis hybrid but there are good automatics cvt only, not the other type with gears, these are no go. My choice will be Avensis estate 1.8 petrol manual or automatic cvt. I would not look at diesel at all and Auris considering only if it’s a hybrid. 👍

whats wrong with the 2014 toyota avensis 2.0d4d 6 speed  i bought one of those with 38k genuine miles on it. real clean car .like new .tbh me myself rather have a diesel than any petrol car tbh 

18 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Thank you for the advice! So the automatic cvt on Avensis is a good choice. Do you mean that the automatic with gears are a no go or that a manual (stick) is a no go? 

In Sweden i almost exclusively see the estate versions, almost no sedans for some reason. 

I'm looking at this car right now: 

686938306_ScreenShot2020-12-10at08_54_22.thumb.png.65d84bf50c2e89e7253a01dc9b6a8a7f.png

https://toyotauppsala.se/bilar/begagnade-bilar/toyota-avensis-kombi-19/

It's 12 171 EUR. 

Or is it a better choice to go for a newer one but with more mileage? 

774971841_ScreenShot2020-12-10at08_54_38.thumb.png.250134200bf2739e6ef8e578c40e3525.png

https://bilcentervarnamo.se/bilar/begagnade-bilar/toyota-avensis-kombi-38/

It's 10 135 EUR. 

Hi, the white Toyota is basic model and you will find not very well equipped and some low grade materials. The grey one looks better, has all useful extras, it’s the  better car IMO. But either of those can do it. There are more estates Avensis than saloons, that’s normal since it’s very large car in its estate version, a lots of space . Toyota cvt is good yes, manual is ok but they also have some automated manual transmission that are horrible to drive and cause problems too. 👍

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 2009joe said:

whats wrong with the 2014 toyota avensis 2.0d4d 6 speed  i bought one of those with 38k genuine miles on it. real clean car .like new .tbh me myself rather have a diesel than any petrol car tbh 

Hi,  nothing wrong with your car, it’s a nice car especially when with low miles, it’s just the times we live in and the fact that Toyota hybrid and petrol only engines are more reliable in long term. Some people always like diesels more than petrol but I always like petrol ones. Diesel Toyota perhaps Land Cruiser would be my choice 👍🚗 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, the white Toyota is basic model and you will find not very well equipped and some low grade materials. The grey one looks better, has all useful extras, it’s the  better car IMO. But either of those can do it. There are more estates Avensis than saloons, that’s normal since it’s very large car in its estate version, a lots of space . Toyota cvt is good yes, manual is ok but they also have some automated manual transmission that are horrible to drive and cause problems too. 👍

I see! What should i look for to find the well equipped cars? 

And how do i know if the manual has automated manual transmission? 

5 minutes ago, testbil said:

I see! What should i look for to find the well equipped cars? 

And how do i know if the manual has automated manual transmission? 

The grey Avensis is higher trim level and has fog lights, info screen, better seat cloth material,  cruise control , auto dim rear view mirror, auto door mirrors, auto lights and wipers, better alloy ., pretty much all useful extras while the white Avensis has nothing. 
The “automated manual” is actually an automatic transmission similar to vw automatics, the car has gears and you can feel they are changing, those autos not so smooth in low speeds and are not as reliable. The manual is only standard manual that should be good for long term ownership. 
Between the two cars you showed the grey one is the better choice to me, but it depends if you need all the extras, I do and that’s why is my favourite. Both cars look good. 

18 hours ago, 2009joe said:

if the car has £30 tax and other cars as my older one was £150  when u say tax is changing its for newer cars is it .should £30 car tax cars be that for ever as long as have the car lasts .thats the reason why i bought that year was for the cheaper tax 

Even though this won't effect you, in under a years time, pending on next years Mayoral election results, the London ULEZ zone will expand. This will effect petrol cars that are pre Euro 4, and diesels not Euro 6, and drivers will have to pay £12.50 a day to drive within the ULEZ area. Also some councils have parking system that charges diesel cars and high polluting vehicle a hire fee. As I said, you are not effected, but keep an eye out at what the authorities in your area are proposing. This is why I changed my old Avensis 1.8 to my current petrol 1.8, so I am not effected when travelling into the new ULEZ, when it starts. 

I have noted a few of your postings, and what you have done with your car. EGR blanking, and overriding the clutch switch so the vehicle can start without pushing the clutch. Recent diesels have more emission control systems, but this comes at a cost of worse economy and reliability.

The tide against diesel has been changing in recent times, so Toyota (and some other brands) have ceased production of diesel engine variants. Most of Toyota's cars sold in the UK at least are hybrids.  

The advice I will give to someone asking what car and engine combo, depends on how and where they intend to use the car. The choice is still theirs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,  nothing wrong with your car, it’s a nice car especially when with low miles, it’s just the times we live in and the fact that Toyota hybrid and petrol only engines are more reliable in long term. Some people always like diesels more than petrol but I always like petrol ones. Diesel Toyota perhaps Land Cruiser would be my choice 👍🚗 

tbh never had a hybrid yet just think when things goes wrong there will be expensive problems thats why i like the toyota diesel 2.0 as gives no problems and if dose there would only be simple problems .they recon after 10 years there be no diesel or petrol cars so going to keep this one drive it into the ground 

5 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Even though this won't effect you, in under a years time, pending on next years Mayoral election results, the London ULEZ zone will expand. This will effect petrol cars that are pre Euro 4, and diesels not Euro 6, and drivers will have to pay £12.50 a day to drive within the ULEZ area. Also some councils have parking system that charges diesel cars and high polluting vehicle a hire fee. As I said, you are not effected, but keep an eye out at what the authorities in your area are proposing. This is why I changed my old Avensis 1.8 to my current petrol 1.8, so I am not effected when travelling into the new ULEZ, when it starts. 

I have noted a few of your postings, and what you have done with your car. EGR blanking, and overriding the clutch switch so the vehicle can start without pushing the clutch. Recent diesels have more emission control systems, but this comes at a cost of worse economy and reliability.

The tide against diesel has been changing in recent times, so Toyota (and some other brands) have ceased production of diesel engine variants. Most of Toyota's cars sold in the UK at least are hybrids.  

The advice I will give to someone asking what car and engine combo, depends on how and where they intend to use the car. The choice is still theirs.

true boss you are right well tbh half of it as they are trying to do away with petrol cars as well as diesels this is the uk plan in 10 years.so tbh i think this one i have now im guessing will be my last lol.plus to the egr and push to start .well i have not blanked off the egr as the car has a complex exhaust system a dpf so not 2 fond of clogging that up if do blank off the egr so just going to have to live with it .but as the push to start yep my knees are getting old and i dont like to push the clutch into the ground.hold itr and start it. i already have wired that to a handy wee push switch beside the steering wheel .also only reason why i did not hard wire it yet as i dont know what that circuit would do if connected all the time would it fry something or run down the Battery. im kinda hoping maybe the circuit will not cause any problems if connected all the time or not. as i said my last car a 1.9tdi i went into the settings and turned down the egr values and well car was driving great with no problems .was a great car the ones with a pull handbrake lol and well just felt like a change was driving great other friends with a 1.9tdi had problems with there turbos clogged up 

4 hours ago, 2009joe said:

true boss you are right well tbh half of it as they are trying to do away with petrol cars as well as diesels this is the uk plan in 10 years.so tbh i think this one i have now im guessing will be my last lol.plus to the egr and push to start .well i have not blanked off the egr as the car has a complex exhaust system a dpf so not 2 fond of clogging that up if do blank off the egr so just going to have to live with it .but as the push to start yep my knees are getting old and i dont like to push the clutch into the ground.hold itr and start it. i already have wired that to a handy wee push switch beside the steering wheel .also only reason why i did not hard wire it yet as i dont know what that circuit would do if connected all the time would it fry something or run down the battery. im kinda hoping maybe the circuit will not cause any problems if connected all the time or not. as i said my last car a 1.9tdi i went into the settings and turned down the egr values and well car was driving great with no problems .was a great car the ones with a pull handbrake lol and well just felt like a change was driving great other friends with a 1.9tdi had problems with there turbos clogged up 

Toyota ECU is not easy to deal with, compared to VAG systems, according those in the know. A few owners have a regime of cleaning the EGR once a year. So long as you are happy with the car, that is important. 

19 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The grey Avensis is higher trim level and has fog lights, info screen, better seat cloth material,  cruise control , auto dim rear view mirror, auto door mirrors, auto lights and wipers, better alloy ., pretty much all useful extras while the white Avensis has nothing. 
The “automated manual” is actually an automatic transmission similar to vw automatics, the car has gears and you can feel they are changing, those autos not so smooth in low speeds and are not as reliable. The manual is only standard manual that should be good for long term ownership. 
Between the two cars you showed the grey one is the better choice to me, but it depends if you need all the extras, I do and that’s why is my favourite. Both cars look good. 

And tinted rear windows which i like! 

How do i know if the automatic is cvt or the one with gears? 

And how do i know if the car is well equipped? Can i look for a model number or may i just learn what comes with an well equipped Avensis? 

3 hours ago, testbil said:

And tinted rear windows which i like! 

How do i know if the automatic is cvt or the one with gears? 

And how do i know if the car is well equipped? Can i look for a model number or may i just learn what comes with an well equipped Avensis? 

👍

cvt does not change gears, the rpm goes up and the car gain speeds 

well equipped cars has infotainment screen, cruise control and fog lights, auto dim rear view mirror