Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Xenon lights avensis t25

Nunot25

Hello. I have a toyota avensis t25 2.2 d 150 HP 12/ 2005. One of the xenon headlights is mês and the other has signs of the time. They are really aesthetically different. The problem os that a new xenon headlight is lot expensive. Does someone have a sugestion? I thought of buying a new halogen headlight and switch just  the "glass". Has someone  tried it? Thank's a lot in advance.

Moved to the Avensis club.

I know xenon bulbs degrade over time so could be worth replacing them as a pair. Would also recommend giving the outside of the headlights a good polish to clear any hazing (remembering to apply a decent UV sealant afterwards to slow down more hazing). Have done this on previous cars with xenons and worked wonders.   

Really thank's.I'll try it.

Another subject. Can you help me saying which are the best sites (chipest) to buy pieces for toyota.

Thank's again.  

Hi there.

The Avensis T25 has a chronical problem. The lens became burned out and light became dimmer over the time.

There's a kit from retrofitlab that can be installed who restores the xenon like it was supposed to be. I have installed that and now if I drive a car with normal halogen lights, I miss that xenon power. The guy who installed me the new lights also repaired the glass, so the headlight became just as new

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I am just wondering is it easy to connect halogens on the avensis with HID orginally since the mirror/bowl has been burnt and light output is horrible? Plan is to use the kit from retrofitlabs but the car needs TO BE USED in the meantime so basically want to use halogen lamps temporarily. 

I was quoted hundreds of Euro at Toyota Spain to fix this for new ones or expensive bulbs. The metallic lining paint behind the headlamps fails and buying high powered bulbs is an utter red herring and ineffective. Toyota won't admit this.

Here's how you fix it: Get yourself some metallic  adhesive tape as used for heating ducts. You will be slicing it into traingular pieces and carefully sticking them onto the inside of a cleaned, removed headlamp. The tricky part is safely removing the unit and carefully placing it in your home oven so to soften the factory adhesive sufficiently for you to prize it apart.

There's videos of it out there and ones how to partially(!) loosen the bumper in order to remove/reattach the light unit(s). It might cost you €3 in total and a few hours. Mine has lasted 6 years+ so far. 

I would rather do the upgrade og bi-Xenon projectors moundet instead but I still need the info is it easy to swap out the headlamps to halogen ones as a temporary solution as the car is to be inspected

Hi there. I think that is not possible to change from HID bulbs to Halogen bulbs because the slot is different. The H7 bulb have a different slot from the HID ones. Beside that, you also need to get aditional power cables because HID lights work with thousands of volts (at startup) but then they keep at 35 or 84 volt, depending if the car is pre-facelift or post-facelift

3 hours ago, doc_14 said:

Hi there. I think that is not possible to change from HID bulbs to Halogen bulbs because the slot is different. The H7 bulb have a different slot from the HID ones. Beside that, you also need to get aditional power cables because HID lights work with thousands of volts (at startup) but then they keep at 35 or 84 volt, depending if the car is pre-facelift or post-facelift

That's the HID ballast they use 12volts make the voltage needed for the HID's but I would remove that from the car because in the car I have the ballast is stuck to the headlamps and would replace them temporarily with halogen lamps so no voltage should no longer be a problem but I am wondering more like are the H7 bulb connectors still on the loom

Atleast from what I see there it is just the matter of taking the wires going into the ballast for the HID's and putting a H7 bulb connector on them and it should just plug up

20210106_003106.jpg

Even if you can make a connection to the H7 bulb, I think that the H7 will not fit the original bracket of the HID bulb

On 1/9/2021 at 4:05 PM, doc_14 said:

Even if you can make a connection to the H7 bulb, I think that the H7 will not fit the original bracket of the HID bulb

I wasn't talking about using the hid headlights like I said swap headligths them self's and use halogen headlights and I just did this and it was plug and play.

The headlight connectors are all the same only difference is the bulb seat and there is a h7 connector inside so it works of course it is a downgrade if the hid's work like they should but light ouput was better since the mirror bowl inside the lowbeam was burnt and dirty therefore light output suffered. 

• 3 years later...

I had the same problem and just switched the whole xenon headlights to halogen headlights (T25 pre facelift). The fitting is direct, plug and play. Same connectors, same installation, all the same. It takes one hour to do just because you have to loosen the front bumper to acceed to all the lamp fixings. 

The halogen headlights cost around 75-90 euro each, new on the internet in many part warehouses. You will need to buy the H7 bulbs and the rear plastic cover that protects the h7 bulb on the rear (not sure if the xenon lamp cover fits, as I bought second hand headlights that already came with the covers). You will also have to switch the electric height regulator motors from the old headlight to the new one.

At the MOT inspection, they can realise about the change because of the automatic height regulation, as it´s exclusive of the xenon units. To avoid this problem, just add the manual regulation switch to the panel inside your car, without connecting it. The inspector will see it and forget the doubts. If he tests it, obviously won´t work, but I would be a minor fault (if the lights are correctly regulated of course), so you willl pass MOT without problems.