Do Not Sell My Personal Information

new here. ST 1.8 Excel or 2.0 design

jukied

Hi Guys new here, just been told I can have a ST for new company car. I can get any model 1.8 or the design 2.0, what are your thoughts, I havent driven either.  I was put off by the seats in the design but can see that they have changed for the better in MY21.  All views appreciated including colour.

I can see that the main differences are the power tailgate and keyless entry both of which are great but I use the boot a lot every day so thinking i may get fed up with "waiting" for  the power tailgate, the thought of the extra power in the 2.0 sounds fun as i am used to a 120hp focus state

As tile I have decided either the 1.8 Excel or the 2.0 Design

thanks in adavnce

Hi, I have the 2.0 excel as a company car, don't really use the power as p per mile is much more important. 

However,  it is effortless,  while my colleague with the 1.8 C-HR says hills are a bit of a challenge 

Ultimately it depends on your budget,  I like the seats and options,  but wouldn't be happy with the smaller powerplant.

42 minutes ago, frizzbee30 said:

Hi, I have the 2.0 excel as a company car, don't really use the power as p per mile is much more important. 

However,  it is effortless,  while my colleague with the 1.8 C-HR says hills are a bit of a challenge 

Ultimately it depends on your budget,  I like the seats and options,  but wouldn't be happy with the smaller powerplant.

Thanks I dont have any other option  re budget, i have a very small list to choose from.

in bold are exactly my thoughts.. one minute i am going for the 2.0 for the power, next minute the 1.8 for the equipment.. the 2.0 is a little more BIK but not much difference

1 hour ago, jukied said:

Hi Guys new here, just been told I can have a ST for new company car. I can get any model 1.8 or the design 2.0, what are your thoughts, I havent driven either.  I was put off by the seats in the design but can see that they have changed for the better in MY21.  All views appreciated including colour.

I can see that the main differences are the power tailgate and keyless entry both of which are great but I use the boot a lot every day so thinking i may get fed up with "waiting" for  the power tailgate, the thought of the extra power in the 2.0 sounds fun as i am used to a 120hp focus state

As tile I have decided either the 1.8 Excel or the 2.0 Design

thanks in adavnce

Just get the model that suits you.

If you cannot wait a few seconds, you should be considering a BMW !! Toyota drivers take all the time they need.

Hi, best to see which car better suits your preferences is if you can book a test drive with dealers, no need to buy or tell them you only want to test drive, then  you will see. The 1.8 is absolutely enough for every day driving or even excessive driving as long as you don’t want to race with other drivers, keeping up with traffic as many says 😂,  Best comparison with turbo diesel is vw vs Toyota hybrids 1.6 tdi goes together with 1.8 hybrid and 2.0 tdi goes with 2.0 hybrid. Hope now it’s easier to get an idea how this cars are doing. If you are doing a lot of motorway driving the 2.0 hybrid may be a better choice. 👍

• Like 1

Test. Test. Test drive. It's the only way to sort out your engine requirments and make sure you find some hills. Are there any in Norfolk.😀 I don't like smart entry so I chose the Design which has most of the important goodies on board. 

Thanks guys.  Not sure I will get the oppurtunity to test drive as company is pushing for a choice. will see what I can do

2 hours ago, bigblock said:

Test. Test. Test drive. It's the only way to sort out your engine requirments and make sure you find some hills. Are there any in Norfolk.😀 I don't like smart entry so I chose the Design which has most of the important goodies on board. 

No not to many hills in Norfolk or anywhere i go to be honest, I do drive about 30000 a year though

The 1.8 has more than enough power for a sensible driver who knows what they are doing. It does have to work hard on very steep hills but I've not yet found one that it actually struggles on.

• Like 1

When I was travelling 30,000 miles a year, my major gripe was that I had a 1.4 or a 1.6ltr, while the big boss who did 16 miles a day had the big powerful engine!  If you are doing mainly motorway / duel carriageway travelling, then the 1.8 should be fine, go for it. But if you have to sit behind Tesco lorries on those winding East Anglia roads, and gamble with your life to get past in that tiny stretch of straight road before the next car hammers towards you and the opportunity to get past is lost, you may find comfort in the 2 ltr which will push on effortlessly when you need to.

If I was doing the miles, I would go for power over a few mod cons that you may not appreciate much anyway once the novelty wears off. Right now with the pandemic and rock bottom miles, a 1.2 would have been fine for me!😂

That's how I would look at it if faced with a choice of engine. I got by with my 1.6, but only because I had no choice of engine size.  I knowing the roads towards Cambridge helped, as I could start accelerating quarter of a mile before a straight bit of road to sling shot past lorries. If the road was not clear, I had to abort and wait for the next straight bit! Happy times... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got the 1.8 excel hatchback in the Pearl red which I think really suits the car although it was a £900 option. Wish I had gone for the design as I don’t think the excel is worth the money for the extras that you get.

I found that it does struggle on Long steep hills went on holiday to brixham Devon was nearly flat out up telegraph hill with myself and passenger and luggage.

if it’s a company car is mpg really a problem? go for the 2.0 but the touring sports as you get the extra legroom in the back and bigger carrying capacity.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Timmon said:

When I was travelling 30,000 miles a year, my major gripe was that I had a 1.4 or a 1.6ltr, while the big boss who did 16 miles a day had the big powerful engine!  If you are doing mainly motorway / duel carriageway travelling, then the 1.8 should be fine, go for it. But if you have to sit behind Tesco lorries on those winding East Anglia roads, and gamble with your life to get past in that tiny stretch of straight road before the next car hammers towards you and the opportunity to get past is lost, you may find comfort in the 2 ltr which will push on effortlessly when you need to.

If I was doing the miles, I would go for power over a few mod cons that you may not appreciate much anyway once the novelty wears off. Right now with the pandemic and rock bottom miles, a 1.2 would have been fine for me!😂

That's how I would look at it if faced with a choice of engine. I got by with my 1.6, but only because I had no choice of engine size.  I knowing the roads towards Cambridge helped, as I could start accelerating quarter of a mile before a straight bit of road to sling shot past lorries. If the road was not clear, I had to abort and wait for the next straight bit! Happy times... 

Same as you I have the 1.5 diesel focus and the boss of course has the Audi/Bmw etc. The Tesco lorries on the A47 are not as bad as they used to be since they increased their speed limiter (40 to 50) , used to be a nightmare.

thanks for the insight

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

I’ve got the 1.8 excel hatchback in the Pearl red which I think really suits the car although it was a £900 option. Wish I had gone for the design as I don’t think the excel is worth the money for the extras that you get.

I found that it does struggle on Long steep hills went on holiday to brixham Devon was nearly flat out up telegraph hill with myself and passenger and luggage.

if it’s a company car is mpg really a problem? go for the 2.0 but the touring sports as you get the extra legroom in the back and bigger carrying capacity.

MPG isnt an issue only in the fact its more fill ups and I only have the TS option

3 hours ago, jukied said:

MPG isnt an issue only in the fact its more fill ups and I only have the TS option

👍

• Like 1

I don’t know how exactly perform the 1.8 or the 2.0 as I am driving previous version with 1.8 that has 136 bhp versus 122 bhp of the latest model but I never straggle on any hills, all you need to push the pedal and the car goes easily, even though sometimes in ideal conditions the car somehow surprised  me, not a fast car at all but yes there is some power in reserve and best of all is that you get it easily at the cost of a bit of noise and more fuel spent. Thinking of the new 2.0 vs new 1.8 on long motorway journeys if driving sensibly they might show very similar figures as mpg but if town driving is involved then 1.8 will definitely get better results marginally as it’s lighter car and may use less energy to propel itself. For the estate version of Corolla the 2.0 hybrid might be the real deal as obviously has more pulling power and will suit the car better especially when fully loaded. 

• Like 1

I also owned the Auris 1.8 that has 136 bhp. It had the power when needed no problem. So going from that to the 1.8 Corolla 122 bhp it was a step backwards powerwise but was much quieter when revving hard when I test drove it, but just felt too sluggish against the old Auris. Hence the 2.0 Corolla was my choice. 

• Like 3

I’ve come from a 2010 1.8 hybrid Auris (136bhp) to a Corolla 2.0 TS (MY21) design. 

The 2.0 appears to deliver similar MPG to the Auris, yet is more flexible with its electric running (higher speed EV mode). The 2.0 is much better for out of town running - country lanes & motorways, the extra power & torque is really noticeable, and you find in normal driving you don’t have to work the powertrain as hard. You rarely find the revs souring with the 2.0, whereas the 1.8 demands forays into the ‘power area’ much more regularly. 

Im really pleased with the 2.0, it’s surpassed my expectations. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

I’ve come from a 2010 1.8 hybrid Auris (136bhp) to a Corolla 2.0 TS (MY21) design. 

The 2.0 appears to deliver similar MPG to the Auris, yet is more flexible with its electric running (higher speed EV mode). The 2.0 is much better for out of town running - country lanes & motorways, the extra power & torque is really noticeable, and you find in normal driving you don’t have to work the powertrain as hard. You rarely find the revs souring with the 2.0, whereas the 1.8 demands forays into the ‘power area’ much more regularly. 

Im really pleased with the 2.0, it’s surpassed my expectations. 

It has surpassed  my expectations too.  It's a fabulous ride. Totally agree with your findings as well. 

• Like 3

Thanks guys for sharing your experience, I think now it’s clear 2.0 hybrid is the better motorway cruiser. 

2 hours ago, Gray86 said:

You rarely find the revs souring with the 2.0, whereas the 1.8 demands forays into the ‘power area’ much more regularly.

I don't. There's rarely any need (nor much opportunity) to push the car that hard. Most people on the road barely tickle the accelerator anyway. When I'm in traffic I can potter around without ever entering the PWR range, even if I make a 'lunge' across a roundabout. Sticking to the ICE gives more than enough acceleration to keep up with most people around town. And there's not much point trying to go faster anyway since all it will achieve is arriving at the next set of traffic lights a few seconds earlier.

In fact that's true on the open road. I pretty much gave up overtaking years ago when I realised how pointless it was. You're never going to make up more than a couple of minutes if that. You only start to gain useful amounts of time when you're driving for a couple of hours or more and then you'll be on a motorway so you don't need power to overtake anyway if you're paying attention.

In any case what's the big deal with making the engine scream? Toyota gave us a certain amount of pedal travel and a certain range of RPM for a reason. If you want power, floor the accelerator. I don't understand this modern desire to accelerate hard while barely moving the pedal. Flooring the accelerator on the 1.8 will generate way more power than a sensible driver should need. I occasionally do that if I'm first away from the last set of lights before the open road and I leave the cars behind like they are standing still.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I don't. There's rarely any need (nor much opportunity) to push the car that hard. Most people on the road barely tickle the accelerator anyway. When I'm in traffic I can potter around without ever entering the PWR range, even if I make a 'lunge' across a roundabout. Sticking to the ICE gives more than enough acceleration to keep up with most people around town. And there's not much point trying to go faster anyway since all it will achieve is arriving at the next set of traffic lights a few seconds earlier.

In fact that's true on the open road. I pretty much gave up overtaking years ago when I realised how pointless it was. You're never going to make up more than a couple of minutes if that. You only start to gain useful amounts of time when you're driving for a couple of hours or more and then you'll be on a motorway so you don't need power to overtake anyway if you're paying attention.

In any case what's the big deal with making the engine scream? Toyota gave us a certain amount of pedal travel and a certain range of RPM for a reason. If you want power, floor the accelerator. I don't understand this modern desire to accelerate hard while barely moving the pedal. Flooring the accelerator on the 1.8 will generate way more power than a sensible driver should need. I occasionally do that if I'm first away from the last set of lights before the open road and I leave the cars behind like they are standing still.

This is why it’s good that Toyota has offered two hybrid power plants for this model, as there is something for everyone. 

I haven’t driven the 1.8 Corolla (Gen 4 HSD) so can only compare with the Gen3 HSD Auris. Whilst you can still put your foot down hard on the 2.0 and the revs will soar, they rise more naturally (if you are used to conventional engines) than the 1.8. I think the 2.0 is more relaxing to drive at a pace - by that I mean you don’t have to dig as deep into it’s reserves to maintain (at least what I would perceive as) brisk acceleration. For me this, with the engine revving less, and therefore quieter it’s a more relaxing experience. I recall Toyota sighted the 2.0 at prospective buyers used to torquey diesel units - which makes sense. 

I agree that most of the time overtaking is pointless - I used to find I would get to a red light a bit sooner, and felt embarrassed when the person I’d overtaken caught up, but its necessary when you meet a tractor on an open road, or someone’s driving style that you want to avoid. 

• Like 4

Oh yes, it's good that there's a choice. I wonder if Toyota ever tried to produce a dual-mode engine, like Honda did. A unit that can operate in Atkinson mode at low RPM then switch to Otto cycle at higher RPM. The downside to the way Honda did it was that they've never quite managed to smooth the transition which makes their CVT a bit lumpy (v1) or a bit too excitable (v2). Having an electric might help blend the power at transition.

• Like 1

If the cost difference is negligible and you’re doing that much mileage I’d go for the 2.0. I have the 1.8, I do 6000-8000 miles a year but if I did 15000 plus and didn’t have to pay for my own fuel then I’d be all over the 2.0 like butter on toast.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MarcusWatson said:

If the cost difference is negligible and you’re doing that much mileage I’d go for the 2.0. I have the 1.8, I do 6000-8000 miles a year but if I did 15000 plus and didn’t have to pay for my own fuel then I’d be all over the 2.0 like butter on toast.

I do that kind of mileage  (pre covid 20,000 plus per year), and claim back HMRC rates.

I find the 2.0 actually makes money on mileage,  I need to do 43 min, with non-supermarket fuel to break even.

Currently with the cold weather 54 is easy, and when warmer 63 to 64 has been my average on a long run.

It easily equals, and even exceeds, my previous frugal  V40 2.0!

• Like 4

thanks for all the replys guys. I am fairly certain I am going to order the 2.0 Design in manhattan grey, anyone else have that colour?.  I  havent managed to even sit in one yet though, been to a few dealers but all have been busy, social distancing etc etc.

I wanted to measure the height between the lowest point of the load cover and the floor of the boot. ideally I would like it o be more than 41 inches to fit my tool bag in with cover over.. dont suppose anyone has the answer ?