Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Y20 automatic - catalytic converter

totalnovice

Newbie here so excuse my ignorance but hoping for an honest answer by fellow Toyota ‘experts’.

Had a knock on the door by a local PCSO who is ‘giving advice’ as I have a Toyota.  I have a Yaris Y20 (March ‘20) automatic (ie non hybrid).  According to the PCSO my car being a Toyota is at high risk of catalytic converter theft and I should ring my local garage to get bolts welded, a tilt alarm fitted and other measures.  He advises all Toyotas are at risk.

I was aware re the Auris and Prius but hadn’t heard anything about a new’ish non hybrid Yaris being targeted?  Should I be concerned?  Has now made me very nervous.

Thanks 

AS above....AFAIK it is the Hybrids the thieving muppets are interested in.

Thank you both.  I also called my local dealer who reiterated its usually hybrid/auris/Prius.  Appreciate the PCSO was trying to be helpful but unfortunately just caused a lot of anxiety.

Thank you again.

1 hour ago, RUToyota said:

AS above....AFAIK it is the Hybrids the thieving muppets are interested in.

I’m not sure that’s true ?
My understanding is that hybrids are more attractive, since the catalyst is likely to be less polluted, but not completely ‘safe’.

However, certainly for the hybrid Yaris the catalytic converter is part of the manifold, so is far more difficult to remove compared to other Toyotas.

• Thanks 1

i have lost count of these threads

Prius and Auris the Cat's are under the car (as are most Honda's, Audi and bmw)

Yaris - the Cat is part of the manifold and up between the engine and firewall so a lot harder to access, only heard of 2 yaris 1 was a mk1 and the other was a MK3 but all they did was chop the middle box out what's just a silencer

pics for reference

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-TOYOTA-YARIS-1-5-HYBRID-1NZ-FXE-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER/164106937786?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3AYaris%2FVitz&hash=item26358925ba:g:9ccAAOSwHk9eXNLf

These scum want a quick getaway under 1 min

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links