Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT'd!

54Fifer

My old 2005 Aygo has passed its MOT without too much hassle! She initially failed on headlamp aim, an airbag fault, and a failed number plate light bulb.

There are advisory notices for corroded brake discs, which I'll deal with when the weather improves(!) and 3 tyres, 2of them for tread wear and one for

"cracking/perishing", which will be sorted in the next few days.

I think that tally isn't bad for a 15-year-old runabout!

Now she's street-legal for another year, I can start making her my own . . .

9 hours ago, 54Fifer said:

My old 2005 Aygo has passed its MOT without too much hassle! She initially failed on headlamp aim, an airbag fault, and a failed number plate light bulb.

There are advisory notices for corroded brake discs, which I'll deal with when the weather improves(!) and 3 tyres, 2of them for tread wear and one for

"cracking/perishing", which will be sorted in the next few days.

I think that tally isn't bad for a 15-year-old runabout!

Now she's street-legal for another year, I can start making her my own . . .

Not a correct statement. Your car was street legal on the day of the MOT, and only after some attention ie failed headlamp aim, failed on airbag fault, failed number plate bulb.  Runabout or not, that’s not a good tally.   Plus you got advisories on corroded brakes, tyre tread wear (x2) and cracking perishing (x1). Your life, and that of other road users, depends on such factors as safe brakes and safe tyres. The dry summer roads have gone, damp winter roads are here, tyre safety is vital anytime of the year, but you are now in a time period tyre safety is definitely vital.            

• Like 1

The actual wording on the advisory on the brakes reads "not significantly weakened", and the operation of the brakes is satisfactory, not having been commented on by the tester. The tyres are being replaced tomorrow. The only reason they haven't been replaced already is that I couldn't get a fitting appointment before tomorrow. And I haven't bought the cheapest tyres I could find, I've got the best I can afford.  The only reason it failed in the first place is that I took my mechanic's advice to "not bother with a pre-MOT check" as it was a waste of time.

My car is street-legal for another year, I have a certificate that says so. The car was roadworthy, after attention, on the day of the test. The difference may be merely semantics, but I chose my words carefully. Roadworthiness "on the day" is what the MOT test tests. Having met the required standard for the issue of a "Pass" certificate, my car is indeed street-legal for another year. Whether it remains roadworthy throughout that year is another matter entirely.

Thank you for your advice regarding brake and tyre safety