Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Burning smell

Merlin5

Hi guys.  I noticed a burning smell today after a 20 minute drive and the smell seems to be coming from the offside rear wheel. Could it be to do with brakes, perhaps sticking and creating heat? Brakes are working fine and are quiet with no scraping sounds or anything like that. The only thing I've noticed is if I hit the brakes harder there's a slight bump sound or feeling.

Hi, yes the brakes are the problem. When was last time they had been serviced, all pads off and clean and lubricated, if over 18 months you will need to do that procedure plus carefully inspect and clean brake callipers and pistons, they do get rust and stuck and cause exactly this plus nasty vibration at certain speeds. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, TonyHSD said:

Hi, yes the brakes are the problem. When was last time they had been serviced, all pads off and clean and lubricated, if over 18 months you will need to do that procedure plus carefully inspect and clean brake callipers and pistons, they do get rust and stuck and cause exactly this plus nasty vibration at certain speeds. 

Thanks Tony. Never been serviced since I bought the car in April which just came with a fresh MOT till next April.

Shall I just get it fully serviced and ask to have the brakes looked at?

Is it more likely to be a worn pad?

Yes definitely, the MOT checks is only if they function correctly which can be ok but still been stuck and causing all that. Yes the car needs full brake service, clean and lube sliding pins, pads, discs change only if worn out, brake callipers and pistons inspection, cleaning or rebuilding if necessary and a new brake fluid in the whole system, it may sound a lot but it’s worth any penny or effort. I recommend you not driving the car more than few minutes with that problematic wheel as you may damage your wheel bearings, pads and discs and more money for replacement. Temperature can easily goes over 300C°

How much should I expect to pay for a full brake service like that?  I've got a mobile mechanic that's been servicing my cars for years but I'm not sure he's up to the extensive work you've outlined. 

I have no idea tbh as I do this kind of work myself, it does take time indeed and I believe this job is best suited for as diy project or some trusted garage or mechanic. It depends what will need to be changed, but in general is more like labour money and some consumables like brake cleaner spray, brake fluid, brake grease etc. And if the pads and disc are worn or cocked and need changing. I don’t think will be so expensive but in Toyota dealership will be for sure as they charge £100+ an hour plus vat. 

Just now, TonyHSD said:

I have no idea tbh as I do this kind of work myself, it does take time indeed and I believe this job is best suited for as diy project or some trusted garage or mechanic. It depends what will need to be changed, but in general is more like labour money and some consumables like brake cleaner spray, brake fluid, brake grease etc. And if the pads and disc are worn or cocked and need changing. I don’t think will be so expensive but in Toyota dealership will be for sure as they charge £100+ an hour plus vat. 

Hah yeah, I'd never go to a dealership!  I do some DIY but cars are not something I ever work on, apart from changing a Battery or bulbs.

• Thanks 1

I would just go for a short drive, stop, and check the temperature of each disc.  Infrared thermometer, or just use your finger, but dont apply too much pressure, as you might get burned, if they are rubbing and it's hot.

Whilst it probably is brake related I think you need to be a bit more certain. A sticking brake calliper will cause the whole wheel to become hot, so much so you can feel the heat coming off it.

Another remote possibility... has a plastic bag got caught up around the exhaust.

Just now, furtula said:

I would just go for a short drive, stop, and check the temperature of each disc.  Infrared thermometer, or just use your finger, but dont apply too much pressure, as you might get burned, if they are rubbing and it's hot.

Hi furtula. I've got an infrared thermometer just collecting dust. So that's a very good suggestion, I shall try that tomorrow!

Just now, Mooly said:

Whilst it probably is brake related I think you need to be a bit more certain. A sticking brake calliper will cause the whole wheel to become hot, so much so you can feel the heat coming off it.

Another remote possibility... has a plastic bag got caught up around the exhaust.

Hi Mooly. Well I had a quick look and feel under the car earlier today where the exhaust is and didn't notice anything like a bag caught.