Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please help me understand my Auris' (2010) stereo AUX function

dieseldane

Hi everyone,

I keep running into an annoying and confusing problem with my 2010 (facelift) Auris HSD radio. It's the standard CD-type with DAB and aux/disc knob (type 13848, with the USB and jack connections in the glove compartment).

I recently bought a few of those mini-Bluetooth adapter things that plug into the USB socket and then output sound through the standard 3.5mm jack port, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+usb+5.0+dongle+audio&qid=1607767959&sr=8-21

However, my car simply refuses to recognize that anything is plugged into the Aux socket. The dongle gets power, boots up, I can connect my phone to it, but pressing the disc/aux button simply doesn't do anything, it stays in radio mode.

So my question is - does anyone know what triggers the radio to switch into aux mode, specifically the 3.5mm jack mode? Right now I'm at a loss and the only thing I can imagine is that plugging the dongle in confuses the radio and this makes it disable aux mode. Will try to go out and power the bluetooth dongle from a power bank to eliminate this possibility, but I would still like to hear your suggestions....

auris16.jpg

Think the disc/aux button is for when a CD autochanger is installed.

If that wont work, you can get an mp3 adapter that plugs into the radio, at the bck, into the cd changer port.

You can then try to connect your mini bluetooth adapter to it.

Alternative is to buy one of those bluetooth adapters that go into cigarette lighter.

I got one of those,  you pair your phone to it using bluetooth, it then sends the sounds to radio like any other fm transmitter.

Sound quality is pretty good, for me, atleast. The one i got also has 2 usb ports, that could either be used for memory stick, or to charge your phones. One port is also quick charge, and from what i remember, it was cheap, maybe 10gbp, mine was from aliexpress.

The USB port is wired to a module that reads the USB device it then supplies audio only to the head unit aka radio

if you want the bluetooth built in fit the later touch2 you will also require the USB lead from the Mk2

Another forum member did  the swap Touch2 with Go (Nav) you can fit the touch2 what are more common and cheaper

I'm still waiting delivery of my unit, found a cheaper one from another seller.

I discovered that I may not need a USB cable, as the current one goes from the radio to the USB socket on the front panel, then there is a connector halfway down the cable (spliced), that goes to the media controller.

So in theory, I just need to disconnect that blue connector to make it a straight connection to the USB socket.

20201212_122510.jpg

20201212_122545.jpg

The OP needs to go the route I have taken, adding a Bluetooth/USB adapter via the CD changer port. I updated the adapter to the WEF@A adapter which supports the latest bluetooth standards. I just switch from two phones to a dual sim Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G, and it connects to both bluetooth at the same time, so I can stream via the adapter, navigation through either and calls through the cars built in bluetooth. Steering controls works calls and music

Many thanks for the replies, everyone.

It turns out that the problem was (as often) far simpler than you'd expect.

When fiddling around in the glove compartment I accidentally bumped the 3.5mm jack plug connecting to the aux port. And presto, it worked as expected! USB port supplies power to the bluetooth adapter, adapter supplies audio to the jack input of the car.

Long story short - I have a wonky jack input on the car. Judging by its behaviour it's the switching jack type, so as soon something is plugged in (correctly...) it enables the disc/aux button to be pressed, which then cycles between the built-in disc and USB/jack inputs.

Next question: how on earth do you disassemble the usb/jack connector box? I see two convenient leverage points for a screwdriver, but the cover seems to be stuck somewhere in the middle where it makes a 90 degree fold...

IMG_20200621_114028.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links